Manly vs Cowboys [Round 13, 2018] - Pre game Discussion Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

manly al

First Grader
Nothing wrong with Matt Wright having the role as the Mr Fix It in the side . Prone to giving away the odd cheap penalty but certainly is a whole hearted competitor . Must still be carrying a slight injury as well that seems to be still hampering him a bit ..

madmax

Bencher
From NRL.COM(edy)

Sea Eagles v Cowboys > Abbott & Costello

Rabbitohs v Sharks > Heckle & Jeckle

Eels v Knights > Mack & Meyer

Roosters v Tigers > Laurel & Hardy

Last edited:

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
M Wright is often maligned on here however he is the jack of all trades and gives 100% every week.
You and I can play for Manly and give 100%
Which top 8 NRL team will M Wright make it in ?
We all have different bench marks and expectations and that is why some on here rated the likes of Brown and Croker because they gave 100% .

Fluffy

Journey Man
Api is a huge inclusion for us. Having a genuine 9 makes a huge difference to any side. Brown and M Wright were terrible at 9 last week so we can expect a much better performance from our halves. Have to say that not having a real backup hooker in our squad came back to hurt us last week and if Api were to be out for a longer period of time, we'd be gone for the season.

Mr C Smyth and Mr T Greenberg

Fluffy

Journey Man
From NRL.COM(edy)

I heard it was Yarny & Hardy for the Rorters Vs Tigpies

double hoops

First Grader
M Wright is often maligned on here however he is the jack of all trades and gives 100% every week.
The bloke can just play footy. I actually think he is a little wasted out on the wing or at centre. He has been pretty impressive when he has played 5/8 and full back.

Last week i had my doubts about him in defence around the ruck. Brown had the Raiders pushing each other out of the way to run from dummy half. So Matty was more than up against it, but as soon as Matty took the field, the ruck wouldn't have been tighter if API was there.

Now with Jorge back my heart pulpertations are back every time a kick goes up. He carries the ball. Puts the ball on the ground. Plays the ball with his foot.

Matt is not just Mr fix it. He's Mr reliable as well.

Don't give me this rubbish that he isn't fast.

Roberts and Addo Carr need to score a try or two just too make up for the one or two they let in.

Give me a footballer, the bloke who isn't big, isn't fast, but some how matches em or shines any way.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
The bloke can just play footy. I actually think he is a little wasted out on the wing or at centre. He has been pretty impressive when he has played 5/8 and full back.

Last week i had my doubts about him in defence around the ruck. Brown had the Raiders pushing each other out of the way to run from dummy half. So Matty was more than up against it, but as soon as Matty took the field, the ruck wouldn't have been tighter if API was there.

Now with Jorge back my heart pulpertations are back every time a kick goes up. He carries the ball. Puts the ball on the ground. Plays the ball with his foot.

Roberts and Addo Carr need to score a try or two just too make up for the one or two they let in.

Give me a footballer, the bloke who isn't big, isn't fast, but some how matches em or shines any way.
....wait, is this M Wright?

You've outed yourself mate.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member

North Sydney had lots of quality players like M Wright and that is why they didn't win many premierships

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
I wont be able to see the game against the Cows because I am going to a Vivid Sydney harbor dinner and dance cruise with my sexy lady .
I appreciate all you feathered friends for posting about the game so I can catch up on how we went .
Thank you all
Go the mighty Sea eagles !!!

Sue

Bencher
If I thought we were screwed then I'd just come out and say it but half the top 8 still looks very vulnerable and with Tanginoa, Paseka and Walker still to return we just need to win 2 of our next 4 leading into the bye and then it's game on.
Love your optimism Andy but we are facing this over the next couple of months and are 3 games out of the eight already.

Warriors. Away
Saints Away
Panthers. Away
Storm
Roosters
Sharks Away
Panthers

In our first twelve games we played 3 games against current top 8 sides and won one against Storm. In the other 9 games against bottom eight sides we played we lost 6 including twice against knights and got flogged by the team running last.Our draw has been so soft and now it is twice as hard in the back half.

If it was a horse race we would be an emergency.

We won’t make the eight but we need Hodko and DCE to get a solid partnership happening, get a game plan happening that is middle focused around Marty and AFB and hope that good kids like Kelly , Suli, Paseka and Lane continue to develop.And make sure that spoon is not in the offing.

Do that and 2019 has potential. In essence we need to see a lot less difference between our best and worst. At the moment it is so wide it is barely believable.

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
We all have different bench marks and expectations and that is why some on here rated the likes of Brown and Croker because they gave 100% .

Ummm he is a depth player, and a solid one at that

Do you expect Folou, Holmes, Tedesco or Radradra to run around at Blacktown for us in hope of a run???

anthonyb1965

GO Manly

My expectation is we have a player that can cover injuries and be consistent. Matt Wright ticks most boxes here.

Having a brief look at what the other teams have;

Saints – Kurt Mann

Panthers – Tyrone Peachey

Roosters - Mitchell Aubusson, Ryan Matterson

Cowboys – Ben Hampton

Eels – Will Smith

Rabbits – Tyrell Fuimaono

Bulldogs – Kerrod Holland

There really is not a lot there apart from Peachey and Hampton.

The question is;

1. Who can we get for up to $300k that can play a range of positions well when needed?
2. Does that player wish to be a bench warmer/utility for most of his NRL career?
3. Do we risk burning a junior (ie; Tom Wright) to fulfill this role instead of a Matt Wright style of player?

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
My expectation is we have a player that can cover injuries and be consistent. Matt Wright ticks most boxes here.

Having a brief look at what the other teams have;

Saints – Kurt Mann

Panthers – Tyrone Peachey

Roosters - Mitchell Aubusson, Ryan Matterson

Cowboys – Ben Hampton

Eels – Will Smith

Rabbits – Tyrell Fuimaono

Bulldogs – Kerrod Holland

There really is not a lot there apart from Peachey and Hampton.

The question is;

1. Who can we get for up to $300k that can play a range of positions well when needed?
2. Does that player wish to be a bench warmer/utility for most of his NRL career?
3. Do we risk burning a junior (ie; Tom Wright) to fulfill this role instead of a Matt Wright style of player?
I understand what you are saying and I am only putting things in perspective as how great M Wright is . I would rather give younger players like T Wright with more natural ability than M Wright . I would not hold back on to the future Just my view feathered friend .

Paw93

Reserve Grader
I understand what you are saying and I am only putting things in perspective as how great M Wright is . I would rather give younger players like T Wright with more natural ability than M Wright . I would not hold back on to the future Just my view feathered friend .
Put T Wright in there and if he were to let in 2-3 tries at fullback then there'd be plenty more crucifying Baz for selecting Tom instead of Matt. Matt is more likely to get us the win this week than Tom. On top of that, you'd be potentially screwing up his development by putting him in one of the most difficult positions to play in the modern game.

pt73

Bencher
From NRL.COM(edy)

Wouldn't Eels V Knights be more like Beavis & Butthead.

Not sure which one is which.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Put T Wright in there and if he were to let in 2-3 tries at fullback then there'd be plenty more crucifying Baz for selecting Tom instead of Matt. Matt is more likely to get us the win this week than Tom. On top of that, you'd be potentially screwing up his development by putting him in one of the most difficult positions to play in the modern game.
I disagree . If 18 year olds can go to war for Australia then 21 year olds can play for Manly in the NRL.
Never let fear hold anyone back .

double hoops

First Grader
TW needs more game time and should see some in the back half of the year. MW currently has a full time spot just filling gaps. There's room for both. Let's face it, if TW lives up to his potential, he won't be a utility.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
TW needs more game time and should see some in the back half of the year. MW currently has a full time spot just filling gaps. There's room for both. Let's face it, if TW lives up to his potential, he won't be a utility.
TW has the skill to play anywhere in the backline . All he needs is a proactive coach that can instill belief in him . Self confidence is the psychological steroid that brings out the best in players with skill .
Any coach can keep selecting a fringe player and play it safe but my motto is GREAT THINGS DONT COME IN COMFROT ZONES !!!
We will agree to disagree feathered friend

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
14 8 6 60 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18
13 7 6 -55 18