Pre-Game Manly v Raiders [Round 4, 2022]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
GAME ON! Head over to the Game Thread!

V

25 6
Glen Willow Stadium
02 Apr 2022 05:30 PM

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALinda

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
As crazy as it sounds, and probably a little disrespectful, but it's got to the stage that one is "willing" Harper and others to get injured. It seems that's what it's going to take for non-performers to be replaced. A sad state of affairs...

Highflier

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Check out the first 3 titans tries. Raiders’ right side can’t handle it. The key is that the tits had variation in their left sweep plays. 1st a cutout to the winger, second the centre gets the ball, third try goes short to the back rower.

Manly needs to have the left side primed for some variation in attack, not just going out the back to Tom every play.

That's why Rubems try off the Foz pass was a nice variation Tom was out the back looking dangerous and attracting defenders while Ruebes cruised in!

Waz13

Let’s all have a chew!
You have to accommodate Lawton, but include Aloiai. You can't just drop Keppie either. The only other remedy in my mind (kills two birds with one stone - and remember Turbo roamed as a centre in SOO):

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jason Saab
03. Dylan Walker
04. Brad Parker
05. Reuben Garrick
06. Kieran Foran
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Sean Keppie
09. Lachlan Croker
10. Marty Taupau
11. Haumole Olakau'atu
12. Andrew Davey
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Karl Lawton
15. Josh Aloiai
16. Taniela Paseka
17. Ethan Bullemor

Strengthens the whole team.
That’s a strong list. I don’t think Walker will play Centre for us again though.

Waz13

Let’s all have a chew!
Davey named in the backrow - no ducks and drakes there this week which is great. Aloiai will be in the side and I am guessing will be in for Keppie. I would then drop Keppie back for Lawton really but he will drop back for Bullemor I think.
Raiders got a big pack I’d not have Lawton and Walker on the bench. Gotta smack them in the middle this week

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Davey named in the backrow - no ducks and drakes there this week which is great. Aloiai will be in the side and I am guessing will be in for Keppie. I would then drop Keppie back for Lawton really but he will drop back for Bullemor I think.
Of the prop rotation, Marty and Keppie are certainties imo.
Lawton and Walker certainties for the bench.
Paseka and Aloiai will be the other 2 props, probably from the bench.
Bullemor to drop off the bench, although he's named at this stage.
Bully has shown some good signs but hasn't really done quite enough to demand selection.

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Don’t think it’s bad juju at all.

We honestly haven’t performed against top squads for years. Literally years. You can say we were 1 win away from a GF, but we were so far off the top 3 teams it’s laughable.

To change that, you cant keep underperforming players who are clearly struggling in first grade. It’s early in the season, Koula will soon be replacing Turbo for origin, how is it a bad thing to throw Koula in, give Harper a spell (which he clearly needs) and show the players that bad performances won’t be rewarded with another start.

We are building a reputation as taking easy wins, not hard ones.

Something has to change for us to win a premiership. What’s the definition of insanity again?…
I defer to Albert 'jesus' Hoppa at the back end of 2020. So many screaming blue murder that our saviour wasn't being picked in a side struggling for form. Turns out he wasn't even close to being ready and the old out of touch dinosaur Dessie was indeed right not to put him in.

Fast forward to 2022 and Koula may be close but I'm sure Des has a plan for him. I know a great idea. Drop Koula into first game of the season against a rampaging Penrith and watch them strip away any confidence he may have had.

The thing that needs to change for us to win a premiership is simply 80min of football going our way when it needs to. I saybit again. 80 min away from a GF is all we were.

Waz13

Let’s all have a chew!
I defer to Albert 'jesus' Hoppa at the back end of 2020. So many screaming blue murder that our saviour wasn't being picked in a side struggling for form. Turns out he wasn't even close to being ready and the old out of touch dinosaur Dessie was indeed right not to put him in.

Fast forward to 2022 and Koula may be close but I'm sure Des has a plan for him. I know a great idea. Drop Koula into first game of the season against a rampaging Penrith and watch them strip away any confidence he may have had.

The thing that needs to change for us to win a premiership is simply 80min of football going our way when it needs to. I saybit again. 80 min away from a GF is all we were.
Harper still needs a spell tho imo. Whether it’s Koula, Walker or Tui, it’s time we try something different on the right edge. Harper is not playing near well enough to hold his spot.

double hoops

First Grader
Be surprised if LOA doesn't come into the team.

I'd like to see DES try something different. Need to try and spark these bookends some how. Just bring AOA straight into starting team, fire these bunch of princess props of ours up.

I see freshening Marty up with a rest against the Raiders, of the greatest value.

I guess I going line speed over size.

Sit him out the entire round. No Ressies. He too important for that. Then bring him straight back the following week. Call it rotation. Or Watching on motivation.

In reality it's a short 4 day turn around, till we then play the knights on a Thursday. AOA is fresh to me he and Marty are like for like.

Let's play the long game.

We need Marty ripping in.

I wouldn't be keen to drop a new comer like the Bull just yet. I'm not even sure of his best place yet, and don't want him questioning it. He needs combo.

But against the Raiders I want his mobility. Be it backrow or a short stint in the middle. IE Jake went great at Prop, but sure he be better with a short rest.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member

I'd like to see DES try something different. Need to try and spark these bookends some how. Just bring AOA straight into starting team, fire these bunch of princess props of ours up.

I see freshening Marty up with a rest against the Raiders, of the greatest value.

Sit him out the entire round. No Ressies. He too important for that. Then bring him straight back the following week. Call it rotation. Or Watching on motivation.

In reality it's a short 4 day turn around, till we then play the knights on a Thursday. AOA is fresh to me he and Marty are like for like.

I wouldn't be keen to drop a new comer like the Bull just yet. I'm not even sure of his best place yet, and don't want him questioning it. He needs combo.

But against the Raiders I want his mobility. Be it backrow or a short stint in the middle. IE Jake went great at Prop, but sure he be better with a short rest.
Marty ripping in !!!

Not sure what’s going on but he’s become a bit of a powder puff recently.

You’d think I with his career on the line he’s be busting his arse off.

But he’s not !

40 nil

It's only a game ...
IIIIFFF Koula is going to be Turbos replacement in a couple of months,
Weekes is also in the picture as fullback replacement. Maybe both youngsters will play during the Origin period.

From what I've heard, all his team mates have big wraps on Koula. Other clubs tend to debut outside backs at young ages. Our coach tends to be over loyal to his encumbents.

Bomb Voyage

Reserve Grader

Marty , rip in - pick one.

double hoops

First Grader
Marty ripping in !!!

Not sure what’s going on but he’s become a bit of a powder puff recently.

You’d think I with his career on the line he’s be busting his arse off.

But he’s not !
I can't help but point the finger at pre season to some degree.

Both Marty and DCE older statesmen, on big coin, do they get wrapped in cotton wool?

Interestingly the both started last year, just as out of whack as this year. And the team follow suit.

I credit Marty with turning Manly's bad start last year around, well just as much as turbo coming back.

It's hard to believe this is pretty much the same team as last year. They look like they've never played together.

Do we actually touch a footy at preseason? Or just fitness?

I know DES and Manly coaches before him have this belief in building up to a premiership, Divide the comp into 5 or 6 parts, the last being finals.

But talk about SLOWWWWWW out of the blocks.

Eagle 1

First Grader
Looking at this as positively as possible (although I'm just as mystified at Des sticking with the same squad as everyone else) I guess Des is working on the theory that when things start to click, everything will click almost at once.

Yes we were extremely scrappy against the dogs but hidden by all our panic, dropped balls & dud 5th tackle options is the fact that we kept the dogs from crossing our line for 66 minutes despite numerous raids down our end.

Let's see if we can maintain our defence & show improvement in other areas this week.
I see Ailoi is on the extended bench, wouldn't surprise me to see Des promote Ailoi. Ailoi's hard no nonsense straight runs are what's required to soften up the Can forwards.

ManEagle

Just a Man and his Eagle
I personally think harps needs a rest just as much for his own sake as that of the team with his performances. Though it is tough when the reserves playing with those that would replace him, get done by 30 without scoring a point.
Where's the pressure and Hunger to compete for his spot.
We are not privy to the feedback Des gets, training, reports, so I'm trusting Des to do the job he is more qualified to do than me but jeez Harps needs some confidence, enthusiasm and execution shots.

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I think seeing Harper in the line-up , as well as Croker (to a lesser degree) just disappointed me
Me too to a point but I always ask who do we play instead? I just don't know if kool-aid is ready. He's close im sure but the raiders 3/4 line is fierce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18