Game Day: Manly v Eels [Round 18, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Manly were good, the refs were woeful.

Crowds are coming back because we have a great coach and the team are playing well. Everyone knows what went on before and when it's like today all the media luvvies can say all they like how bad our ground, our support and all the rest supposedly is but who cares.

Great team we have, every player is standing up and will only get better.

Glad you enjoyed it. Always better live and especially at Brookie. I'm 1,000k away but my spirit was on the hill.
fonua-blakea-scores-a-try-2gp_1574.jpg

Manly love for you @niccipops :inlove:

Last edited:
remote.axd

SEA EAGLES

Garrick honours grandfather with three-try haul in emotional win
Author
Dan WalshNRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sun 21 Jul 2019, 08:21 PM

Manly's hat-trick star Reuben Garrick has dedicated his 20-point haul against Parramatta to the memory of his grandfather and role model David Yates after tragedy struck his family for the second time in a month.

Garrick received news of Yates's death on Friday, but vowed to play in Sunday's thumping win over Parramatta to honour the man who religiously attended his junior games on the NSW South Coast

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/07/21...dfather-with-three-try-haul-in-emotional-win/

Poor Gazza, first his nephew and now lost his grand Dad :(

Tom Trbojevic stars, Reuen Garrick steals show as Sea Eagles down Eels 36-24
Tommy Turbo ran for a scintillating 250 metres but was pushed from the spotlight by a South Coast junior who was unwanted by the Dragons.

Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph

July 21, 2019 8:38pm

Tommy Turbo ran for a scintillating 250m but was somehow overshadowed by an emotional winger who was playing for his late grandfather.

Trbojevic is taking Manly to the promised land after another stunning performance in the Sea Eagles’ 36-24 win over Parramatta at Brookvale Oval yesterday. He hasn’t lost a game since October 13 last year when Australia were defeated by New Zealand in a one-off Test.

This year, he has won six from six when representing Manly and two from two with NSW.

Late in the game, Trbojevic grabbed his troublesome hamstring but Manly’s medical staff was unconcerned.

Trbojevic ran for a whopping 181m in the first half alone.

“I’m just really happy to be back playing footy,” Trbojevic said.

Tom Trbojevic was superb for the Sea Eagles. Picture: Getty Images

Asked about Trbojevic’s performance, Manly coach Des Hasler said: “He put together a good game. There were probably parts that he would be disappointed in but he would be a bit hard on himself.

“He just has that ability to turn something that is a half break into a full break. What was on show was too much. It was like being in a lolly shop.”

Yet Trbojevic was pushed from the spotlight by a South Coast junior who was unwanted by the Dragons.

Manly winger Reuben Garrick scored three tries and kicked four goals for a personally tally of 20 points. The Sea Eagles wore black armbands yesterday in memory of Garrick’s grandfather, David Yates, who passed away last Friday.

In the middle of last month, Manly also wore black armbands to honour Garrick’s 10-year-old cousin Kye Yates, who died in a quad bike accident.

Garrick has been left devastated by both deaths.

Reuben Garrick celebrates scoring a try with Manly teammate Tom Trbojevic. Picture: AAP

He has agility, speed and vision and is fast developing into an elite winger under Hasler.

Garrick grew up in Gerringong, the home town of Parramatta’s favourite son Mick Cronin, and he punished Cronin’s former side with tries in the fifth, 45th and 58th minutes.

“Reuben is having a really good year, considering it’s his first season,” Hasler said.

Victory pushed Manly to 22 competition points and another step closer to a shock finals appearance.

The Sea Eagles remain in fifth place but have a tough draw over the remaining seven rounds. They are calling it the “Manly Miracle” on the northern beaches.

Manly were all smiles in their win over Parramatta. Picture: Getty Images

Parramatta had won three straight games before yesterday but reality hit with a hell of a thud. The Eels fell apart at the seams in the middle of the game, only to rally late.

Manly crushed Parramatta through the middle in a deeply worrying sign for Eels coach Brad Arthur as the finals loom.

Behind 12-6, Manly scored four tries — in the 25th, 27th, 32nd and 35th minutes — to dramatically pinch back the momentum in a first half which yielded seven tries and 38 points.

The Sea Eagles scored 22 unanswered points to lead 26-12 at halftime and received a standing ovation from their home fans.

TURBO’S DEJA VU

Same kick, same side of the field, same result.

Tom Trbojevic, who was back yesterday after a week’s rest, scored a marvellous try when he caught a Daly Cherry-Evans bomb on the full to score.

Trbojevic pinched the ball from Parramatta’s Clint Gutherson while airborne, evoking memories of the try he scored for NSW in Perth when he chased down a James Maloney bomb to score.

STORM CELL

Manly’s biggest test will come on Saturday when they play the Storm in Melbourne.

“Mate, there are only three sides in this competition — Melbourne, Roosters, Souths,” Has ler said. “We will go down there and give it a crack.”

MANLY 36 (R Garrick 3 D Cherry-Evans A Fonua-Blake B Parker T Trbojevic tries R Garrick 4 goals) bt PARRAMATTA 24 (N Brown E Parry M Sivo B Takairangi tries M Moses 4 goals) at Lottoland. Referee: Matt Cecchin, Ziggy Przeklasa-Adamski. Crowd: 15,245

Garrick honours grandfather with three-try haul in emotional win
Author

Dan WalshNRL.com Reporter

Sun 21 Jul 2019, 08:21 PM

Manly's hat-trick star Reuben Garrick has dedicated his 20-point haul against Parramatta to the memory of his grandfather and role model David Yates after tragedy struck his family for the second time in a month.

Garrick received news of Yates's death on Friday, but vowed to play in Sunday's thumping win over Parramatta to honour the man who religiously attended his junior games on the NSW South Coast.

Only last month the Sea Eagles were wearing black armbands after Garrick's 10-year-old cousin Kye Yates was pinned under a quad bike near Nowra in an accident on the June long weekend.

Manly welfare officers have been at the ready and teammates, led by housemate Corey Waddell, have rallied around Garrick given the toll the past month has taken on him and his family.

But Garrick was the toast of Brookvale on Sunday with an impressive three tries and four goals in the Sea Eagles 36-24 triumph, an effort he says Yates would have been chuffed about.

"It's been a tough weekend for myself and my family," Garrick told NRL.com.

Match Highlights: Sea Eagles v Eels

"I was very proud of the team and I think my grandfather would be proud of our performance.

"He was a great role model for myself and he's what always pushed me forward in footy. He came to every game I played so it was pretty special to get a win in his honour.

"He came to every game and definitely pushed me to play my best and back myself every week.

"He was the biggest role model for me, not only in footy but in life. it was gut wrenching to find out the news on Friday but he'd be very proud at the moment."

Garrick's latest points haul continues an impressive rookie season for the 22-year-old, who is providing serious value for money for Des Hasler after being picked up from the Dragons.

NRL.com understands the Gerringong junior initially had a verbal agreement to a three-year contract with Trent Barrett to join the Sea Eagles when he was still at the helm last year.

But with Manly's coaching shake-up Garrick's deal was trimmed back to one year.

He's since proved his worth and been extended through on the original terms, until the end of 2021, with the fight for a first-grade spot under Hasler pushing Garrick to greater heights.

"You can never take for granted what you have in the contract," Garrick said of his re-signing.

Garrick notches hat-trick as Sea Eagles run riot

"I was so excited when I found that out and it shows in my footy, I think it gives them a lot of confidence in the decision as well.

"I'm a very competitive person and I knew that once I was given the opportunity to come up here and have a pre-season, I'd train really hard and just try to beat my opposite numbers.

"I was really excited to come up here and play under Des. He's such a well-regarded coach and a grand final winning coach so as soon as I found out he was coaching at Manly, I was so excited, and he's helped me so much this

Lot to be pleased about from yesterday:s performance but especially the solid and committed defence . Just a slight lapse letting Brown in and other Eels tries , more from the Eels just chancing their arm or those lucky kick results . Manly seem to have a good mix with their attacking options now also and for Tom and Fainu in particular to capitalize on . Maybe a fit Jet Ski instead of Boyle from the bench for extra mobility and especially marker defence . Ability and structure wise, a very competitive unit now and for going forward. Plenty of positive vibes and hopefully continued momentum for the rest of the season to match some of the front runners

Someone mentioned a player that may be at Manly next year, but Des shut in down real quick, I didnt hear who it was because the audio is crap, but he said the player wont be at Manly in the Maroon and white, anyone

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8