Manly v Dragons [Round 15, 2018] - Pre-Game Discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
How does Lane get dropped for Winterstein?
I think in a couple of games lately Lane has got posted in defence on our line.
No idea if was his fault but his general play has still been good so I'm guessing it's something to do with that.

How does Lane get dropped for Winterstein?

01. Tom Trbojevic
02. Jorge Taufua
03. Brian Kelly
04. Moses Suli
05. Akuila Uate
06. Trent Hodkinson
07. Daly Cherry-Evans
08. Addin Fonua-Blake
09. Manase Fainu
10. Marty Taupau
11. Joel Thompson
12. Shaun Lane
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Jackson Hastings
15. Taniela Paseka
16. Lloyd Perrett
17. Frank Winterstein

Why have 2 backs on the bench? Just wastage. Need to go more conventional.
Didnt Lane have a Barry Crocker on the weekend ? I didnt watch the game but his Defence was woeful apparently.

Also good to see Peter Peters with his finger on the pulse again claiming Tanginoa was ready for a return 17.05.2018

Does he ever get anything right?
I am assuming that was a rhetorical question but just in case ..... No. No he doesn't .... ever.

We are going to win this game and surprise the FXXX out of everyone. Biggest upset of the year is about to happen. I am 100% certain of it and I don't feel this way very often.
Saints rep players will be saving themselves for SOO and Denver Test selection on Sunday :wait:

Manly the Dragon Slayers
giphy.gif

Bar Hastings and Anderson i would think that is every single player we have? Which would be why there are two wingers named (and it would be a massive shock if it stayed this way)

It is a game of cat and mouse by Barrett that Mary won’t see coming when he changes the bench 24hrs before kick off :think:

Yeah because changing the team at the 11th hour really did wonders in our game in Wollongong last year didn't it......St Merge never saw us coming because they didn't have a rear view mirror.

This looks a lot like the selections he made in his first game he coached us.

Manly that night (Rd.1 vs Dogs at Brookvale)

Tom Trbojevic
Jorge Taufua
Jamie Lyon (c)
Steve Matai
Brayden Wiliame
Dylan Walker
Daly Cherry-Evans
Jake Trbojevic
Apisai Koroisau
Nate Myles
Lewis Brown
Nathan Green
Martin Taupau

Bench - Matt Parcell, Blake Leary, Darcy Lussick, Siosaia Vave.

The only changes from the originally named side were: Snake was out injured, Turbo moved to fullback with Wiliame coming in on the wing. Feleti Mateo was dropped off the bench for Vave.

Just think about this for a moment. We released Gutho at the end of 2015, but kept Wiliame.

Lloyd Perrett (wearing #22) was on the bench for the Dogs as a late replacement for Danny Fualalo, while 2011 Sea Eagles premiership winners Will Hopoate (fullback) and Tony Williams (2nd row) were also in the Dogs lineup.

We lost 28-6.

Last edited:
I remember sitting in front of my television that night thinking WTF am I watching here?

I knew Snake was still to come back so that was some comfort. Although unfortunately it was the beginning of the end for Brett.

Wiliame......yeah the less said, the better.

It was the start of an almost two year run for Lewis Brown to be selected each week in our top grade side. Ironically, that run ended when he was out injured for last years fiasco in Wollongong.

Nathan Green? I mean really.....Nathan Green? The guy could barely crack a first grade spot at St Merge and suddenly he's a starting back rower, largely because he trained well in the pre-season and impressed the new coach. Barrett the coach soon found out, but seemingly didn't learn from, that going well in the pre-season was not the same as going well in a game. I remember the term "deer in the headlights" being thrown around in these forums that night when describing Green's performance.

And by half time I knew that we needed to swap Killer and Walks because back then, Walks was no 5/8 and we needed Killer's experience in the halves, especially as we had a pair of relatively inexperienced hookers (even though Api had won the GF with Souffs in 2014) and Turbo was a virtual rookie at fullback.

I've been puzzled by a lot of Barrett's team selections ever since.

Manly that night (Rd.1 vs Dogs at Brookvale)

Tom Trbojevic
Jorge Taufua
Jamie Lyon (c)
Steve Matai
Brayden Wiliame
Dylan Walker
Daly Cherry-Evans
Jake Trbojevic
Apisai Koroisau
Nate Myles
Lewis Brown
Nathan Green
Martin Taupau

Bench - Matt Parcell, Blake Leary, Darcy Lussick, Siosaia Vave.

The only changes from the originally named side were: Snake was out injured, Turbo moved to fullback with Wiliame coming in on the wing. Feleti Mateo was dropped off the bench for Vave.

Just think about this for a moment. We released Gutho at the end of 2015, but kept Wiliame.

Lloyd Perrett (wearing #22) was on the bench for the Dogs as a late replacement for Danny Fualalo, while 2011 Sea Eagles premiership winners Will Hopoate (fullback) and Tony Williams (2nd row) were also in the Dogs lineup.

We lost 28-6.

Myles, Brown and Green in the starting forward pack, yuck. Makes our current pack look like immortals.

The idea of rewarding off season effort is sound in principle, although Green did not measure up, it’s true. Barrett did the same this year with Tanganoa and Lane, with better results.

The idea of rewarding off season effort is sound in principle, although Green did not measure up, it’s true. Barrett did the same this year with Tanganoa and Lane, with better results.

You could almost add Croker to that list. All we heard from Barrett in this years pre-season was that Croker was training the house down. Of course, we now know that it was all because he was just trying to talk the kid up as Hastings was no chance to be Cherry's halves partner and they were trying to keep the reasons hush hush.

What I'd really like to know from Twenty is: Do you rate Tom Wright?
It must be apparent to all that he doesn't.
We've had an under-performing backline for the majority of matches this season yet Tom Wright still can't make the 17.
Even though Wright is signed for 2019 (I believe) I fear he will seek to leave the club, knowing that the coach has no confidence in him.
Twenty had no issue blooding Croker in First Grade, and giving Suli an opportunity - so age can't be the issue.
He tried to manufacture Walker into a 5/8.
He also had no issue recruiting an over-the-hill Hodkinson to further block Wright's progress.

We've had an under-performing backline for the majority of matches this season yet Tom Wright still can't make the 17.
Even though Wright is signed for 2019 (I believe) I fear he will seek to leave the club, knowing that the coach has no confidence in him.
Twenty had no issue blooding Croker in First Grade, and giving Suli an opportunity - so age can't be the issue.
He also had no issue recruiting an over-the-hill Hodkinson to further block Wright's progress.

Just my opinion ..... But I am 100% convinced Baz does rate him ..... and I am also 100% convinced that the slowly slowly approach has been designed with T. Wrights knowledge and approval ..... with 3 years of experience of managing the kid physically and mentally as a guide ..... .

I can justify the selections of Croker and Suli over TGWH - Croker is a specialized half, while TGWH is much more of a back when you watch him play, Suli had 1st grade experience and had shown what he could do on the field. I can even justify the selection of M.Wright (at fullback) as he (should?) provide more experience in defense. But the selection I can't get passed is Parker; these two played 20s together and although Parker has the size advantage he really hasn't brought much to the team. This is now his 3rd season playing with 1st grade and I don't think we will see TGWH unless we have catastrophic injuries rip further into our backline.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8