Game Day: Manly v Dragons [Round 14, 2019]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
WAlker and Suli play like that consistently and i’d love for them to stay

Thought this game was going to be a good test ,Having not a good record against them then down 8 nil .The game changed when McInnes went off ,I still think they would win but it helped our cause
Great win just need to keep it up with no major injures and could give the premiership a bit of a shake
Regardless of mcinnes leaving momentum was bound to turn soon enough. I honestly don’t feel we were going to lose if he had not got injured. It was more our bench that won it for us, particularly Paseka, who showed he’s a beast when he gets some intent into his game. Fainu was great also, Gosiewski played smart and it was good to see Boyle manage some quality runs in his short stint

With regards to the defending team grounding the ball in the in-goal.....

There has to be a tackle or the defending player has to ground it with the intent of stopping play. Unfortunately, Dufty was ankle tapped by Tom but wasn't tackled and there wasn't any intent to ground the ball.

I hate to say it but the way I read the rules, it was play on.

But of course, as with most NRL referee decisions it seems to be pot luck as to which way the call goes. I seem to recall there being one in Townsville last week in our game where a Cows player grounded the ball in his in-goal much the same as Dufty did (after a failed attempt at tackle) and the ref ruled a line drop out even though he (I think Morgan) tried to get up and run again.

Good to get a bit of that St Merge monkey off our back. Our record against them is horrible, so would love to get a positive mindset on that and claw back the ledger

After yesterday, Manly are now 10 / 29 against St Merge since 1999. The last time we actually beat them before yesterday was a 36-6 win at Brookie in Round 17 of 2016.

We had 7 starters that day who were in the starting 13 yesterday, in the same starting positions too (Turbo, Jorge, Walks, DCE, Api, Marty and Jake), plus AFB played off the bench in that game. Gone from that 2016 side are Brayden Wiliame (centre), Matt Wright (wing), Killer (5/8), Darcy Lussick (prop), Nathan Green (2nd row), Ferris (2nd row) and bench players Lewis Brown, Josh Starling and Luke Burgess

Last edited:
I know it’s a business these days but I feel a twinge if sadness when I read the names of those no longer there.

Green was reminiscent of Parker. Look how the latter has gone under Des’s coaching. Green has disappeared off the scene and yet is still only 27. I had forgotten about him until I read V8’s post

Starling was a very solid prop who gave his all every week. Still only 29 years old and no longer in the NRL.

Williame - read Green.

Wright - he never really let us down. Good goal kicker and a safe player under the high ball. At least he got to play a part in the surge to the semis in 2017.

Buhrer - wish he could have stayed.

Lussick - he could have been anything under the right tutelage.

Burgess - not in the same class as his brothers, but showed some glimpses of what might have been.

Brown - a NZ international, treated abominably by many on this forum.

Last edited:
really enjoyed that today. always felt we would come back and to be watching Turbo in this sort of form is something else. When he went through the middle to set up that try (on the last tackle) was just what Manly should be. No formula just play with confidence. Brilliant.

Oh there is a formula. And it's a formula that has taken teams to 5 GF appearances in just over a decade. Step up des.

crowd of 8468 :clap:

The morning deluge didn't stop these true supportahs :)

Still toddy and his super stadium plans are much better. Look at the atmosphere in that pic. Gold gold gold.

Screenshot_20190616-120050_Watch NRL.jpg

Both walker and suli were outstanding. Poor Brad Parker will struggle to get back in. Arguably Walkers’s best game for manly.
Parker will be back, des has been pretty generous with all our players giving them a go and I can’t see him not being back after the effort he has put in to help us get to where we are this year. Desie has turned our injuries into a blessing with his unselfishness.Hasler has used up our players wisely this year and it seems to me that everyone has had a good run through thick and thin.

Parker will be back, des has been pretty generous with all our players giving them a go and I can’t see him not being back after the effort he has put in to help us get to where we are this year. Desie has turned our injuries into a blessing with his unselfishness.Hasler has used up our players wisely this year and it seems to me that everyone has had a good run through thick and thin.
I don't think Parker will unseat either Suli or Walker unless they play poorly in the next few weeks. Croker will have a hard job unseating Cust at the moment too although as we saw only 2 weeks ago we were playing very poorly. It's guys like Tom, Jake, Dce, AFB and Taupau who determine how well we play. They have great games it carries along the rest.

I don't think Parker will unseat either Suli or Walker unless they play poorly in the next few weeks. Croker will have a hard job unseating Cust at the moment too although as we saw only 2 weeks ago we were playing very poorly. It's guys like Tom, Jake, Dce, AFB and Taupau who determine how well we play. They have great games it carries along the rest.
Parker walks back in. He has football smarts which Suli doesn't possess.

Agree with every word ...

I know it’s a business these days but I feel a twinge if sadness when I read the names of those no longer there.

Green was reminiscent of Parker. Look how the latter has gone under Des’s coaching. Green has disappeared off the scene and yet is still only 27. I had forgotten about him until I read V8’s post

Starling was a very solid prop who gave his all every week. Still only 29 years old and no longer in the NRL.

Williame - read Green.

Wright - he never really let us down. Good goal kicker and a safe player under the high ball. At least he got to play a part in the surge to the semis in 2017.

Buhrer - wish he could have stayed.

Lussick - he could have been anything under the right tutelage.

Burgess - not in the same class as his brothers, but showed some glimpses of what might have been.

Brown - a NZ international, treated abominably by many on this forum.

So good to see the younger Manly players who have come through the ranks making a mark in First Grade. Fainu and Tent were in our premiership winning Under 20s team of 2017, as was Parker (although I think the latter two were injured and didn't play in the GF). Turbo was in that team a year earlier and the General was in that team last year.
The recruitment of Reuben was a masterstroke, and I like the enthusiasm of Jetski and Duck.
What we have is a good blend of these youthful, energetic players with seasoned first graders like Thompson, Siro, Jorge and Api, enforcers Kapow and Aladdin, sprinkled with superstars Jurbo, Turbo and Cherry.
Our performance in the last 60-minutes yesterday was the best of the season. I rate Illawarra as one of the top teams and we overpowered them. The hoodoo was smashed. I'm sure the loss of McInnes played a part in the momentum swing. We were fortunate to have Fainu as a back-up when Api was injured.
A big part in our resurgence this season must be the off-field coaches and officials who have given these players a sense of mindpower steel.
Barring unforeseen circumstances we are capable of beating any team. Maintaining the mental strength will be the issue as we tend to drop intensity when we play teams that we are expected to beat.

Great photos. And don't the jerseys look terrific?
They would look just as good with white shorts, so I'd like to see this jersey as our 'away' strip.

Yep I ordered one of those jerseys online yesterday - was peed off I missed out first time we wore them, so am glad they rolled them out again so I could grab one

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6