Game Day: Manly v Cowboys [Round 13, 2018]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
How many years will it be before he is no longer The Rookie Coach?
Quite the honeymoon.
I understand where you are coming from but i see more gain in the short term being patient than just changing coaches every 2 years.

Yes Manly's squad depth has been a factor also, in saying that Manly should still have an extra 2 wins this year at the very least which is not a good look for TB.

Next year is his make or break year so use this year to bed down some attacking structure, winning the grind and composure to our game.

Look the effort has really picked up defensively, some good ball and all hits and red zone scramble, starting to dig in and embrace the grind, if Manly can keep this squad together i see some improvements next year just off the back of this alone.

Eight games in next year is the cut off point...

Again too much side ways running the centres all look bunched when the ball gets to them because the fowards go sideways the halves go sideways and no one straightens up the attack ,no repeat sets ,no luck with the yellow idiots ,no luck in general and also no game plan
Very disappointing tonight but I thought Lane, Thommo ,Walker and Suli good
Hodgko needs another week I think but it sb him who kicks for the repeat sets

It's going to be real hard for Jacko to find a job after the crap here, but nowhere near as hard as it's going to be for Barrett.

I'm done...get rid of him, he stinks.

I understand where you are coming from but i see more gain in the short term being patient than just changing coaches every 2 years.

Yes Manly's squad depth has been a factor also, in saying that Manly should still have an extra 2 wins this year at the very least which is not a good look for TB.

Next year is his make or break year so use this year to bed down some attacking structure, winning the grind and composure to our game.

Look the effort has really picked up defensively, some good ball and all hits and red zone scramble, starting to dig in and embrace the grind, if Manly can keep this squad together i see some improvements next year just off the back of this alone.

Eight games in next year is the cut off point...
Fmd Coach I wish u were my boss...3 years of mediocrity and ure still slapping my back and handing me ridiculous coin $$$$$

I think Kapow is the perfect example of how stats don't tell the true story.
His close to 200 m per game are a red herring. I think every opposition coach gives him 10 metres a run, sweats on the potential error knowing that 95% of his offloads lead to nothing.

I grew up with Manly teams that played with flair and flashy back lines, this team saddens me immensely.
Our recruitment has been all wrong. The entire back line is basically slow.
To me offloads are more dangerous around the half way line, if they lead to a quick dash through the middle or spread with the defensive line retreating backwards off the next tackle---from this attacking opportunities will arise that can lead directly to points.

Too much emphasis on offloads when we are just working ourselves out of our half, you need to get the balance right.

Stats are just stats, they mean nothing if you don't understand or question them.

He’s 6 ft 6 110 kg athletic and yet he doesn’t touch the ball in attack , has no awareness and NEVER does the tough metres in his own half .If that’s acceptable then NRL first grade has changed a lot.To be a first grader you perform WITH and without the ball.

I like Frank, but its frustrating as hell watching him in attack because he doesn't go looking for work. He's more than happy to let the wingers do the job he should be doing.....carting the call up and using his size and speed to advantage.

He can defend though.

Fmd Coach I wish u were my boss...3 years of mediocrity and ure still slapping my back and handing me ridiculous coin $$$$$
I'm not saying the Coaching has been good but too often here fans just look at "replace replace replace" be it the coach, or put Tom Wright in nowwww, or Hastings nowwww, just for the sake of change----- to offer false hope for the weeks ahead so their miserable work day week has something new to look forward to.

Just like purchasing a lotto ticket so that it makes the next week a little more interesting and "some" hope of change in their monotonous lives.

At halftime, I thought we'd come home strongly, as we'd been running into a strong breeze and were behind in the possession about 44-56%.

I thought we'd use the breeze to our advantage and pin them down in their half and work for repeat sets with intelligent play and grind out a win.

Strangely, our kicking game was piss poor, no game management from our 2 experienced halves, which has become a recurring theme.

I think it's patently obvious that DCE is not being excluded from the 'toads because they don't like him, it's because he can't produce a win when he should and they know it. He and Hodgko should have gotten us home tonight with intelligent play and shown our young guys the way; sadly, no.

And please, guys, it might look good on your stats, but offloads are only worthwhile if you're throwing them to a player in a position to take advantage of the ball, not having to search around for it on the ground and if I see another harbour bridge pass from dummy half, especially when we're attacking, I think I'll end up screaming. Maybe, a few training drills, under fatigue, were we practice the pass from dummy half to a ball runner that hits them on the chest from a flat pass because it really kills our attack the way the majority of the passes are thrown. I hate to praise Scam Smiff but he always gives his runners and playmakers great ball service.

I still believe we'll avoid the spoon but if we finish better the 12-14th, I'll be stunned.

Com' On Eagles, show us you're a better team than what you're producing at present.

I’m hearing you TC but it comes down to more than TB s supposed potential. Can a club like ours with talented young underperforming players and a financially and administratively weak front office and awful crowds afford to give him time.My answer is no. We need some experience guiding this side... and quickly.

Last edited:
At halftime, I thought we'd come home strongly, as we'd been running into a strong breeze and were behind in the possession about 44-56%.

TBH I thought different. We were in trouble.

Sure we scored the first time we were in their 20, but we spent most of the first half defending and I thought we would struggle from about midway through the 2nd because of all the work we had to do. Unfortunately I was right.

And the reason we spend most of the first half defending was because in our very first set of six, instead of kicking to the corner and making the Cows work it out of their half, DCE second guessed himself and decided to run it instead. He passed it to Suli who promptly passed it straight back when tackled and then Cherry got caught with the ball. It was on the halfway line. We gifted the Cows field position and for the next 15-20 minutes we were basically defending, either our own line or them coming off theirs after JT's penalty goals.

One poor decision on the 5th, a theme of our year and time under Barrett, and we put ourselves under unnecessary pressure almost right from the start that we failed to recover from.

Defence has been good. Dumb field position turnovers and shocking kick options killed us.
It wasn't really our defence altogether, but rather the one or so tackles every set where we released all the good work we'd done previous through use of some lacklustre efforts or bad technique i.e trying to tackle taumalolo high around the chest!! Like geez, if you wrap up the legs he won't go anywhere, they're always fighting for physical dominance but sometimes it's just better to go for technique. Silly errors that we just consistently showed without any real sign of improving, just repeat after repeat of the same poor mistake or effort

I'm not saying the Coaching has been good but too often here fans just look at "replace replace replace" be it the coach, or put Tom Wright in nowwww, or Hastings nowwww, just for the sake of change----- to offer false hope for the weeks ahead so their miserable work day week has something new to look forward to.

Just like purchasing a lotto ticket so that it makes the next week a little more interesting and "some" hope of change in their monotonous lives.
My life has become monotonous this year hoping against hope that there will be a change in the fortunes of the eagles. Sometimes it pays off to be innovative and blood some rookies instead of playing it safe. Look at Fitler with the blues. How many rookies have been given a go there. In the long run it will pay off. If you don't change when things aren't going well, whether it be tactics, personnel, attitude, you will whither and ****inh die.. sadly our season has.

Trouble with that comment Tech is that Barrett doesnt replace when its patently obvious that the players he is using are not up to it. His selections are dreadfully predictable and always relying on safe and slow. There's no initiative, no risk taking. If its not working why continue with the same players hoping they will improve. The Tom Wright issue is only one question mark I would pose. Its not that he will be a world beater, its that he will add some enthusiasm to what looks a tired bunch of plodders who dont seem to know how to take contro of a game any more. The way they are playing Parramatta could beat them. Bring in some youngsters and add a bit of life. Suli will be fine in time but he needs forwards who are trying to win.

I can't belive cherry our 10 million dollar man dished up that useless performance tonight !! Thought he would come out fired up to prove the origin selectors wrong ! He looked so disinterested tonight I'm in shock

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8