Game Day: Manly v Cowboys [Round 13, 2018]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
My life has become monotonous this year hoping against hope that there will be a change in the fortunes of the eagles. Sometimes it pays off to be innovative and blood some rookies instead of playing it safe. Look at Fitler with the blues. How many rookies have been given a go there. In the long run it will pay off. If you don't change when things aren't going well, whether it be tactics, personnel, attitude, you will whither and ****inh die.. sadly our season has.
Not many players left on our books up to first grade standard, so just changing for the sake of change is pointless, tactics can be fine tuned no problem in that department.

I just see more benefit in the short term being patient for one more year and only one more year, it's hard enough to get a squad that get's along with the coach, at least in that department it seems players like playing under TB.

But yes his game analysis needs more depth along with being able to drill in a little structured discipline in our game has to start moving forward.

I can't belive cherry our 10 million dollar man dished up that useless performance tonight !! Thought he would come out fired up to prove the origin selectors wrong ! He looked so disinterested tonight I'm in shock
I never get the impression DCE is disinterest or is lacking effort, more lacking composure, headless and is blinkered in his approach over so many years of coaches not addressing his issues or rounding out his game.

Just not our night and we've got plenty of players playing with little experience. Something that we have to keep bearing with for this season.

I got to shake Kyle Feldt's hand after the game. I've always liked him as a player. JT was great with the young fans as well.
Sorry Pittwater, but i fuken hate that dog. He is a niggling smart arse. You should've jobbed him!

Not many players left on our books up to first grade standard, so just changing for the sake of change is pointless, tactics can be fine tuned no problem in that department.

I just see more benefit in the short term being patient for one more year and only one more year, it's hard enough to get a squad that get's along with the coach, at least in that department it seems players like playing under TB.

But yes his game analysis needs more depth along with being able to drill in a little structured discipline in our game has to start moving forward.
I'm all for being patient. That's why we need to blood young Tom Wright and have him ready for next year, just as we persisted with Kelly last year. Kelly is a much better player for it this year.

I’m hearing you TC but it comes down to more than TB s supposed potential. Can a club like ours with talented young underperforming players and a financially and administratively weak front office and awful crowds afford to give him time.My answer is no. We need some experience guiding this side... and quickly.
@Sue best post of the night.
I was a big supporter of TB but after waisting my night down at brookvale oval to see that effort has change my mind.
He really needs to go and @strone33 has been right all along.

I agree here with TC. It's too late now to be experimenting with the young guys this far into the season. At this point it would cause more damage than good to their confidence. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big believer in blooding talented youth, but the timing needs to be right. We are so down on numbers with limited experience. And don't forget we have a ton of youngsters as it is, in fact the youngest team in the comp. We have a few guns to come back in and grind this season out. Best we can hope for is a strong finish and a fresh start in 2019. You don't smash the Broncos and Storm back to back from sheer luck. Maybe we have the team but not the coach. I honestly don't know. As an analogy, I follow Hawthorn in the AFL. All hell broke loose over Alastair Clarkson after his first couple of years..."piss him off, not Hawthorn blood, too young". Guess what happened. 4 premierships in 10 years including 3 straight 13-15 which was deemed impossible in the modern game with caps and draft.

Last edited:
Went out to the game last night - Bloody cold sitting on the hill!

They weren’t in it from the start - Cowboys had plenty of enthusiasm in defence and we had absolutely none. Allowed Thurston all the time in the world and he dictated terms accordingly.

Terribly disappointed in the team tonight, no effort from them especially our forwards (apart from Thompson and Lane) who were dominated by a team they should have dominated.

I'm not saying the Coaching has been good but too often here fans just look at "replace replace replace" be it the coach, or put Tom Wright in nowwww, or Hastings nowwww, just for the sake of change----- to offer false hope for the weeks ahead so their miserable work day week has something new to look forward to.

Just like purchasing a lotto ticket so that it makes the next week a little more interesting and "some" hope of change in their monotonous lives.
There is a saying if you are in a hole you stop digging. Things don’t go from bad to better unless you fix the problem.

Trouble with that comment Tech is that Barrett doesnt replace when its patently obvious that the players he is using are not up to it. His selections are dreadfully predictable and always relying on safe and slow. There's no initiative, no risk taking. If its not working why continue with the same players hoping they will improve. The Tom Wright issue is only one question mark I would pose. Its not that he will be a world beater, its that he will add some enthusiasm to what looks a tired bunch of plodders who dont seem to know how to take contro of a game any more. The way they are playing Parramatta could beat them. Bring in some youngsters and add a bit of life. Suli will be fine in time but he needs forwards who are trying to win.
Parra did beat them. By forty lol. But you are dead right in every way.

Just not our night and we've got plenty of players playing with little experience. Something that we have to keep bearing with for this season.

I got to shake Kyle Feldt's hand after the game. I've always liked him as a player. JT was great with the young fans as well.
I got to shake Max Krilichs hand plus some nice people from the football club gave me free food and alcohol.

Being there last night and seeing first hand the absolute lack of atmosphere with the small crowd in attendance (very little noise etc), do you think that has any bearing on the level of energy and enthusiasm from the team?

Running out and seeing a half full hill making absolutely no noise obviously wouldn't gee you up as a player. The performance was pathetic last night, but I wonder if running out and seeing no one there is deflating in any way.

Another game, another truck load of injuries. Can't believe our injuries this year compared to St George.

No doubt the inflexibility or inability to adapt or change tactics and especially when it is patently obvious that this is necessary , really is and has been a concern and problem. in many matches during the past couple of seasons Biggest problem seems to be what role for D C E to mainly adopt , wide of the ruck in a Shaun Johnson mode or more of a traditional half"s role . Too many games and particularly this season , D C E wide of the ruck is too predicable , clunky indecisive and simply then throws the whole attacking pattern off . Then at present Hodko being really just a one dimensional [ and generally unimaginative player ] and lacking mobility just compounds the problem ]. Anyway of course there were many shortcomings that contributed to last night's generally abysmal effort [ how bad again was the kicking game ] , the only positives that i could notice was Sipley showing some promise , Lane again showing that he can really offer something to the side and a few others at, least having a good dig . Again if things are not working out , change the point of attack , run the edges more ,. get some depth and spread the ball early or give some good ball for the outside men . if Matt Wright can not inject himself in attack , put someone there who at least is capable of [ when Tom is not there ] Really felt for the dedicated Manly supporters who turned up last night and deserved so much better , it is bad enough watching it in comfort at home but last night , not only were they not good enough, the motivation and application from most in the team was just woeful .Sue is quite correct ,the difference between this Manly squad with their best and worst performances is just too acute and it really is incumbent for the coaching staff and especially D C E to have some serious self reflection on where things are right now and if they really care about the best interests of the club .

Take the plea. He’s injured anyway, isn’t he?
Broken arm should take more than 2 weeks to knit anyway
giphy.gif

NRL match review committe has charged Manly forward Jack Gosiewski a grade-1 shoulder charge offence for his late hit on Johnathan Thurston. He is facing a 1-2 match ban
#NRL #NRLManlyCowboys
Details at https://t.co/tJYgTwdxnc https://t.co/ZLezOqeQKS

I thought it was going to be more after the outrage from thurston and johns about it.

It looked like he lifted his hands and it was basically a hit/shove.

Hilarious if he fights it and gets off.

Being there last night and seeing first hand the absolute lack of atmosphere with the small crowd in attendance (very little noise etc), do you think that has any bearing on the level of energy and enthusiasm from the team?

Running out and seeing a half full hill making absolutely no noise obviously wouldn't gee you up as a player. The performance was pathetic last night, but I wonder if running out and seeing no one there is deflating in any way.
Ha ha Thursday night playing in winter conditions in an open arena against an interstate team what type of crowd would the NRL expect .Seriously no matter what Manly did to try and promote this game nothing was going to work and yes the atmosphere would have effected both teams.

Ha ha Thursday night playing in winter conditions in an open arena against an interstate team what type of crowd would the NRL expect .Seriously no matter what Manly did to try and promote this game nothing was going to work and yes the atmosphere would have effected both teams.

Agree mate - I've been to the last two home games (Friday 6pm and Thursday night), and unfortunately unless as a team we are sitting close to the top of the table in good form, we will never reach a decent level of attendance during these time slots.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7