Game Day: Manly v Bulldogs [Round 23, 2016]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Much will depend on off season recruitment.

I've pushed the 5 year plan all year, and this was year 1.

In year two I'd expect a bottom of the top 8 finish, so in 2017 I'd expect say 6th-8th.

Top 4 would not come until maybe 2019/20.

Totally agree with you Mark, although we did just push a top 4 side to the death last night. With a few astute purchases in the off season and a bit of luck maybe we can shorten that time frame. Dare to dream !

Totally agree with you Mark, although we did just push a top 4 side to the death last night. With a few astute purchases in the off season and a bit of luck maybe we can shorten that time frame. Dare to dream !

Happy to be proven wrong in 2017, but I think the next natural progression is to be in the top 8, hopefully the addition of a proper 5/8 will help and a fit number 9 for 26 weeks.

sigh.

Sad.

But we pushed a top 4 side all the way into golden point so that's some small positive.

I guess this leaves us more time to see Aussies choking in the pool now.

#dollarswellspent

Go Manly!

(I blame Mark and his 5 year plan)

Point taken. I'm bitterly disappointed too. Signed my kids up this year to be members and they haven't had much to cheer about. But I tell them to stay positive after the losses cause that's what supporting a team is about.

Its just amuses me this notion that the longer you've been on a forum or the longer you've been a "supporter" the more rights you have to white anting the coach, club and players.

Being new to Silvertails I honestly didn't know there were so many "supporters" out there that need to "express their disappointment" by bagging on the Eagles. It appears to be just like any other footy forum - where everyone puts crap on manly.

I'll head up the front of the bus now, climb into my box and keep my positive attitude to myself... Until I have been here long enough - then I'll start the white anting. :)
Well said Batty, youd think we were on an opposition supporters site the way some carry on. Some even stooping so low to bag Killer, massive dummy spitters. Id like to see how some on this site would go under pressure in a sporting event, or team sport

Point taken. I'm bitterly disappointed too. Signed my kids up this year to be members and they haven't had much to cheer about. But I tell them to stay positive after the losses cause that's what supporting a team is about.

Its just amuses me this notion that the longer you've been on a forum or the longer you've been a "supporter" the more rights you have to white anting the coach, club and players.

Being new to Silvertails I honestly didn't know there were so many "supporters" out there that need to "express their disappointment" by bagging on the Eagles. It appears to be just like any other footy forum - where everyone puts crap on manly.

I'll head up the front of the bus now, climb into my box and keep my positive attitude to myself... Until I have been here long enough - then I'll start the white anting. :)

You got nothing Batty, many of us took our kids to Northern Eagles games!

How we were not charged with child abuse is puzzling.

Ha ha. Certainly close to child abuse... Tough times.

Surely you haven't been around that long - you're far to positive about Manly?!?! The longer you've been on this forum - the more your entitled to share you negative frustrations...

Been around a lot longer than that, but only new to the forum. Had a few blues, (all my adversaries were obviously wrong) but have grown to respect many of the posters.

Why share negative frustrations, even if your correct, no one will love you for it. And while I have and will say I don't think X is up to it, and will criticise parts of his game, I feel no need to be abusive about it.

I have a strong bond with blokes that week in and week out run on to a professional rugby league ground and put their bodies on the line. There are no "cats" playing grade football. They never make it that far, but everybody has their level. Not everyone is a first grader, and not every first grader is a star.

As long as they are wearing the Manly jersey and having a go, they are one of "mine".

Batty, the main reason I had a go at you earlier was because over the last few days you kept having a go at people who dared criticise the team. The reason I talked about longevity was because without it, you can't know whether someone you're attacking is constantly negative or making an isolated point. I think it's as important to respect your fellow posters as it is to respect the team. So .... Sorry for disrespecting you.
I do make this point though, footy is a release from the real rubbish we go through in life. It's an outlet, an entertainment, a place where you can let out all that pent up emotion by yelling at the tv. To me, that's it's primary function and why it's important not to bring real life into the forum by attacking fellow posters.

Totally agree.
Every player out there last night, gave it everything. Just wasn't meant to be ... so I just don't get what good comes of attacking the coach, players and club/owners. Demanding blood.

Experts sitting at their computers with hindsight as their only weapon. Sad really.

On a lighter note, do you think we'll jag Gillette or Taumalolo? Or both? :)

Hope so, but I do share the view of many of the posters who subscribe to the notion of dysfunction within the management.

Either would be a great addition.

Fair call. And no offence taken.

I honestly just hate hearing anyone putting the Eagles down. Especially when we're losing. Especially during this transition period.
Feel like I'm defending the boys who are doing their best - coach and club included.

To me that's what being a supporter is. You support the team no matter what. You don't scream for blood when adversity hits. You pull together and stand together.

But hey, like you say - everyone's different and some must need to vent and turn on the team. Can't say I understand it - but I understand your point.
I suspect what you talk about is much like the way I feel about the ridiculous number of people having a go at our Olympic swimmers for not winning gold.
They've worked their bums off for years and have to be at their physical and mental peak for one particular minute in Rio at (say) 11.07pm on August 11, 2016.
So much disappointment that someone ends up sixth - that's the sixth fastest person in the whole WORLD. We should celebrate them! Drives me nuts!!

Totally agree.
Every player out there last night, gave it everything. Just wasn't meant to be ... so I just don't get what good comes of attacking the coach, players and club/owners. Demanding blood.

Experts sitting at their computers with hindsight as their only weapon. Sad really.

On a lighter note, do you think we'll jag Gillette or Taumalolo? Or both? :)
One could ask what good comes from experts sitting at their computers attacking fellow Manly supporters venting on an online forum...

I suspect what you talk about is much like the way I feel about the ridiculous number of people having a go at our Olympic swimmers for not winning gold.
They've worked their bums off for years and have to be at their physical and mental peak for one particular minute in Rio at (say) 11.07pm on August 11, 2016.
So much disappointment that someone ends up sixth - that's the sixth fastest person in the whole WORLD. We should celebrate them! Drives me nuts!!

I hate that jingoistic extreme nationalism that detracts from the personal achievement that is the essence olympics ... or should be

I hate that jingoistic extreme nationalism that detracts from the personal achievement that is the essence olympics ... or should be
I'd much prefer to see the construct of nationalism and country removed and let the olympics be purely an expression of the individuals and teams that compete in them.

Fair call. And no offence taken.

I honestly just hate hearing anyone putting the Eagles down. Especially when we're losing. Especially during this transition period.
Feel like I'm defending the boys who are doing their best - coach and club included.

To me that's what being a supporter is. You support the team no matter what. You don't scream for blood when adversity hits. You pull together and stand together.

But hey, like you say - everyone's different and some must need to vent and turn on the team. Can't say I understand it - but I understand your point.
Hmmmm @Batty im beginning to suspect something's up here...

You're making sense. Your grammar and spelling is above average. Not sure you'll fit in here hehehe ;)

Must be a trick question cause Manly supporters wouldn't vent their frustrations by attacking the playing group, coach and club.
Well, thank you for your generous omnipotence. I now have something to measure my true value as a Manly fan... So, let me make sure I have this clear.. A true Manly supporter doesn't vent frustrations about players, a true fan takes a self-righteous attitude towards other fan forum posters. Thanks for the measuring stick.

I think some of us need to get over our over-inflated sense of self-importance. One's venting of their frustrations on an online fan forum does not impact on the performance of a professional sporting team. This is a very small virtual world shared by a group of people with the common ground of following the same sporting team. If a fan chooses to vent/dabble in negativity/whinge/bitch/moan/whatever that's up to that individual and a reflection on where that person is at.

I don't need you, or anybody for that matter, telling me whether I'm a supporter or not, or how I should express myself in a forum. Nevertheless, thanks for sharing :)

Whoa whoa. Calm down fella. Relax. I'm merely pointing out that I'm new to the negativity shared by some on this forum. It's not what I expected on a Manly supporters forum.

I haven't told anyone to do anything. I just giving my opinion on what being a manly supporter means to me.

Sort of like how your giving your opinion - yeah - that's what I'm doing. Funny that.

Smile. Life's too short. :)
There are usually two archetypal patterns on these types of fan forums following what is perceived as a disappointing loss by the team.

(1) First wave of people venting their emotions. It's usually negative and a result of a frustrated SEEKING system in the limbic brain.
(2) Second wave of a smaller group coming in to judge the first wave. It's usually from a calmer, less emotive mind space. It's motivations can be wide and varied.

When you understand the emotional outburst of a frustrated person there is no need to come on and pass judgement on it. If people are on a fan forum venting rather than out in the world causing real harm and damage then I'm all for it. It's also easy to just understand that person is coming from their limbic brain temporarily and it will blow over. No need for the judgement at all, and to start questioning whether such supporters are really supporters.

Yes, life is short. Understand the archetypes and be aware of what your own drives are. :)

My one criticism of the game is Canterbury's decision to play it at such a small ground.

I suggest they book the MCG for the next Thursday night fixture.

Last night's attendance of 10,290 was just 12% of ANZ's capacity. Officially there were 73,710 empty seats.....The same attendance would have been 54% of Belmore's capacity and 44.7% of Brookvale's.

Now, just on Api's dummy half passing. Last week I noted a couple of problems with his delivery. First he often tends to take a step, looking for somewhere to run. Then when he passes he double pumps it. All of which gives the opposition defence time to move up and shut down options. Last night however I noticed why a lot of his passes either go too high or behind the back. When he grabs the ball he tends to do so at either end of it rather than having both hands closer to the middle. Every time he did this his passes were shocking and put team mates under pressure. Yet when he picked it up correctly he had more control and his passes were actually good. Unfortunately its the former rather than the latter that he tends to do most often. That mixed in with his taking a step and double pumping is (IMO) the major problem with his dummy half service.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8