Manly in Crisis (a mega thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

#crisis ??

• Yes

Votes: 111 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 91 45.0%

• Total voters
Sorry if you can’t read it due to paywall
Could only see this much ...
x

Hasler’s battle to survive at Manly takes another turn​

Des Hasler’s battle to remain at Brookvale is set to escalate as Manly’s chair and owner jets back into the country to front a board meeting that will determine the coach’s fate.

But did crack up at "Manly's chair and owner JETS back"
What? He was going to take a leisurely cruise?

Could only see this much ...
x

Hasler’s battle to survive at Manly takes another turn​

Des Hasler’s battle to remain at Brookvale is set to escalate as Manly’s chair and owner jets back into the country to front a board meeting that will determine the coach’s fate.

But did crack up at "Manly's chair and owner JETS back"
What? He was going to take a leisurely cruise?

NRL 2022: Des Hasler’s Manly Sea Eagles future to go on the line as coach faces board meeting​

Brent Read, Michael Carayannis and Dean Ritchie

3 min read
October 5, 2022 - 5:58PM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

28 comments

00:42
Papali'i 'all in' on joining Wests Tigers
NRL: Parramatta Eels star Isaiah Papali'i has finally confirmed he's 'all in' on joining the Wests Tigers in 2023

View more related videos

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s.../0810140e3e6ba46d319fbd6c1afc7371#share-tools
Manly skipper Daly Cherry-Evans has distanced himself from the bunfight at Manly as chair and owner Scott Penn jets back into the country from New York to front a board meeting that will determine the future of coach Des Hasler.
Sources with knowledge of the situation confirmed that a meeting would be held in coming days and that Hasler’s tenure would be at the top of the agenda as the club looks to end the uncertainty around the two-time premiership winner.
The coach and club have been at loggerheads since the end of the season and there is every chance Hasler has coached his last game at Manly. The only issue may be whether he is sacked or opts to walk away.

In a bid to appease the club’s demands, News Corp understands Hasler has been working on a succession plan that would result in him eventually stepping aside of his own volition — Cronulla assistant Josh Hannay is believed to be his preferred option to take over.
Des Hasler’s future at Manly could become clearer after a board meeting next week. Picture: NCA Newswire/Gaye Gerard
Des Hasler’s future at Manly could become clearer after a board meeting next week. Picture: NCA Newswire/Gaye Gerard
However, it is understood Manly has internally discussed a number of coaching alternatives, among them Shane Flanagan, Dean Young, Ben Hornby and Jason Ryles.
Former South Sydney and Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold — currently working with Eddie Jones at England rugby union — also has support within the club.
Seibold is a former assistant at the Sea Eagles and lives on Sydney’s northern beaches only a stone’s throw from 4 Pines Park. Key figures at the club, including Cherry-Evans and the Trbojevic brothers — Tom and Jake, have previously worked under Seibold.
It is understood Sea Eagles officials are also ready to bring in a senior figure in a consultancy role to work with the coach.
That position was likely earmarked for Hasler as part of his transition post-coaching but should he leave the club in acrimonious circumstances, it is likely Manly officials would explore alternative options.
Former Broncos coach Anthony Seibold was a former assistant coach at the Sea Eagles. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images
Former Broncos coach Anthony Seibold was a former assistant coach at the Sea Eagles. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images
Interest in new coaches will hinge on the outcome of talks with Hasler in coming days. News Corp has been told that relations between the club and their coach have soured to the extent that much of their communication is now being conducted through lawyers.
Senior figures at Manly have denied those claims, although they acknowledge progress has been slow. It is understood the parties have made little progress since the situation exploded a month ago amid revelations from News Corp that the Sea Eagles were confronting a myriad of issues heading into the offseason.
The most significant was the future of Hasler, who has one year remaining on his contract and has been pushing for an extension as part of a succession plan that would see him eventually step aside.
Cherry-Evans was keen to avoid discussing the situation on Wednesday as he joined the Kangaroos in camp for the upcoming World Cup tour.
Sharks assistant coach Cronulla Josh Hannay has support to succeed Des Hasler as Manly coach.

Sharks assistant coach Cronulla Josh Hannay has support to succeed Des Hasler as Manly coach.
“I have said my piece on it and there is really not much for me to elaborate on because nothing has changed,” Cherry-Evans said.
“As a player that is one thing I have learnt over the last few weeks — I can only control how we go about playing next year. I am looking forward to getting in there in the preseason and helping turn things around.”
Cherry-Evans and Jake Trbojevic will fly to England on Thursday to begin Australia’s defence of the World Cup.
“I always stay in contact with Des,” Cherry-Evans said.
“We have a great relationship as coach and captain at Manly. That is why I always endorse him — because we do have such a good relationship.
“It is not for me to get in the way of the club and his relationship. They obviously have business to sort out and I am sure they will get it done by the time we get back for preseason.”
Daly Cherry-Evans has thrown his support behind Des Hasler staying at Manly Picture: NCA Newswire/Gaye Gerard

Daly Cherry-Evans has thrown his support behind Des Hasler staying at Manly Picture: NCA Newswire/Gaye Gerard
Time is of the essence for Manly. Assistant Chad Randall has already left to join Canterbury and the club is yet to identify a replacement. That process is being stalled by uncertainty around the coach.
Player recruitment will also become an issue unless things are resolved.
Penn said the club had been clear with Hasler that things had to change.
“We’re clear that we need the football department we want for 2023 and beyond and we’re working through that. We are looking for a clear succession plan,” Penn said.
“The reality is we need to make some changes and we are going through a process with Des. Clearly next year we would expect to make the finals. Absolutely we have a premiership-contending team and we want them to get reward for effort.
“We are telling Des what we’re looking for. It’s a process and there’s give and take. He could decide that’s not what he wants to do. That’s a possibility.

More Coverage​

Kent: How Panthers are trashing decades of NRL traditionFree agency frenzy: will grand finalists be ripped apart?
“The important thing is that we do have a succession plan going forward. That’s what we’re working through. Who that might likely be or it could potentially be a couple of people?”
Watch every match of the Rugby League World Cup LIVE & Exclusive to Fox Sports, on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >

IMO, we need changes in both coaching & conditioning staff to move the club forward in the next couple of years. Last off season, the training was said to be very tough to help the team win more close matches. Obviously, this didn't work. Fom memory, I think we only won one close match (first round v. Dogs) and we were run down on more than one occasion.

If Des was winning games there would be no crisis but only contract extensions

The moral of the Manly Crisis story
There is no Mercy for Mediocre performances at Manly

1Logo of the Penrith PanthersPEN24200430642
2Logo of the Cronulla-Sutherland SharksCSS24180620938
3Logo of the North Queensland CowboysNQU24170727236
4Logo of the Parramatta EelsPAR24160811934
5Logo of the Melbourne StormMBS24150924732
6Logo of the Sydney RoostersSYD23140919130
7Logo of the South Sydney RabbitohsSSY241401013030
8Logo of the Canberra RaidersCBR24140106330
9Logo of the Brisbane BroncosBRI2413011-3628
10Logo of the St George Illawarra DragonsSGI2311012-11024
11Logo of the Manly Sea EaglesMAN249015-10520
From my observations, Des doesn't don the number 13 and run out on the field every week. He tries to get a bunch of Man Babys to knock 10 tonnes of ****e out of the opposition to get a result.

I would be all for dumping Des quick smart had 2022 been a relatively Injury and crisis-free campaign and we had have ended how we did.

However, Facts are 2022 will forever go down as a huge injury and issue-laden season which DIRECTLY led to the results.

The owner has no ****ing Idea.

I thought Seibold would have had "Never to Coach in the NRL Again" stamped on his forehead after the Broncos debacle, but then again I thought the same of Trent Barrett when he left us in disgrace. The NRL loves second chances and the talent pool is pretty shallow to begin with.

As for the rest of that story, I wonder if anybody has told Josh Hannay he's Dessie's personal pick, or even asked if he'd be willing to consider coming to a basket case of a club like ours. If there's one thing T-Baz has shown young coaches, it's that going to a weak club can do more harm than good for a coaching career.

Penn, Dessy and DCE. Of the 3 if you had a choice to select on a fit for purpose basis in purely leadership skills, who do you pick ? Which one attracts a marquee player to the club at MARKET price or unders ? God knows if we pay overs for one more we are screwed for another five years !

I'd be happy to give Seibold a chance. He did have success at the Bunnies and sometimes disaster (Broncos) can be the greatest teacher of all. He's a good student of the game, has worked with some of the best coaches and has been here before so knows the nightmare it can be.
The game has moved a long way past Des.

I have met Scott Penn. I do have some understanding of his business and I genuinely like him and think he is a very good business man. I also have met Des and I very much like him and think he is has done a wonderful job in both his stints.

It’s hard watching this. I don’t understand why they can’t get on the same page. Des has made 2 of 4 semis in his second stint with enormous headwinds. Why won’t we back him.

Scott has made 3 from 8 semis with three different coaches since 2015. That’s on him.

Penn, Dessy and DCE. Of the 3 if you had a choice to select on a fit for purpose basis in purely leadership skills, who do you pick ? Which one attracts a marquee player to the club at MARKET price or unders ? God knows if we pay overs for one more we are screwed for another five years !
None of them have made a case to be irreplaceable

poorly run
poorly coached
poorly led

Seibold are you ****ing serious and josh Hannay. Sorry but this owner is complete ****wit, yes things need to change and Des may not do alot right but people being thrown up bar Ryles are mediocre
Hannay is Des' choice as he won't be overstepping or outshining. I'm hearing Seibold is Penn's preference. What a fkn joke.

Also we just signed Matterson! Cough Dean. Played for Blacktown 4 years ago, and is currently in Dogs' second string feeder club who were almost winless for the first half of season. 24 years old, not a game in 1st grade. The news just keeps getting better and better

Also why does it make sense to sack Des and hire Siebold when Siebold just took the broncos to the spoon. I can’t understand the logic in that.

Also why does it make sense to sack Des and hire Siebold when Siebold just took the broncos to the spoon. I can’t understand the logic in that.
Siebold was good at Souths then joined Broncos who were already a basket case. Had no backup & was expected to coach an unsettled team. I think he deserves a chance to be Hasler's assistant & see how things pan out. He did pretty well at Souths so there is a good coach inside him!

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8