Manly in Crisis (a mega thread)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

#crisis ??

• Yes

Votes: 111 55.0%
  • No

Votes: 91 45.0%

• Total voters

winnyason

Bencher
Would have been some consolation if he resigned for 750 k for 3 years or so from 2016 and what he did initially agree to . Might have then put some future contract values for him into some sort of perspective Understandable however with him taking the increased revised offer but an 8 year set contract , hardly ideal Manly 's way which ever way it can be analysed . . In an ideal arrangement and with maximum player capability , would so much preferable to have the likes of Schuster , Weekes and latu Fainu in a near future Manly line up . just don :t know with this one , and with 3 more years with D C E and particularly at that purported 1 . 2 mil for the 2 year extension . . .
He just is not that player to step up, look at origin in rep team he does it be a nrl roster he cannot.
No doubt even with him transition to Latu Fainu he only few years away. Look at roosters with young half not on massive coin able to land a brandon smith imagine if we could do that

manly al

First Grader
He just is not that player to step up, look at origin in rep team he does it be a nrl roster he cannot.
No doubt even with him transition to Latu Fainu he only few years away. Look at roosters with young half not on massive coin able to land a brandon smith imagine if we could do that
That seems to be the issue , consistency at club level and warranting that mega pay rate . Can "t question that he is a very talented and durable individual player , Can put it together sometimes but the crux of the matter is always that cap valuation and the requirement to be producing regularly in that 7 . 5 - 8 level game day rating and above all steering the side around the park well in all types of game scenarios .

winnyason

Bencher
That seems to be the issue , consistency at club level and warranting that mega pay rate . Can "t question that he is a very talented and durable individual player , Can put it together sometimes but the crux of the matter is always that cap valuation and the requirement to be producing regularly in that 7 . 5 - 8 level game day rating and above all steering the side around the park well in all types of game scenarios .
The sides of 2011 to 14 mega talented and full of rep stars but now he asked to perform he cannot on regular basis.
Be interesting for Cleary once the cap starts to bite how he performs.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Would have been some consolation if he resigned for 750 k for 3 years or so from 2016 and what he did initially agree to . Might have then put some future contract values for him into some sort of perspective Understandable however with him taking the increased revised offer but an 8 year set contract , hardly ideal Manly 's way which ever way it can be analysed . . In an ideal arrangement and with maximum player capability , would so much preferable to have the likes of Schuster , Weekes and latu Fainu in a near future Manly line up . just don :t know with this one , and with 3 more years with D C E and particularly at that purported 1 . 2 mil for the 2 year extension . . .
To be honest IF he’s been re-signed at that level then we really truly have lost the ****ing plot!!!

Highflier

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
something I dont get
supposedly Des and the players wanted Foz to stay
Knowing that and at the time Foz hadn't signed with the Tits ,someone I assume Des or Humphreys but with Des's blessing allegedly resigns DCE for another 2 years at 1.2 each year ?
How does that reconcile with trying to keep Foz as well ,that action alone puts pay to that ?
And if the Turbo's are a bit off with DCE ,surely doing that would not be seen as being smart in the long run for team onfield balance and antagonistic towards them who anyone would argue are more important to Manly that DCE
Also the Tartak Fulton faction of which Manse was a part ,it looked like to me that Des was well and truely committed to that now forlorn cause i.e no split there and you would also think all the pacifica 's would appreciate Des's support of Manse as would Tartak
In addition was the rainbow jersey fiasco a planned deliberate and coordinated attempt by the Penn/Fultons/Tartak cabal to put Des off balance and offside and in a no win situation there by making his demise somewhat inevitable ?
Just layer upon layer of conflicting information ,smoke and mirrors and red herrings everywhere .
It does appear Des is being managed into a position where he either quits or cops the turnover of his staff (which may not be a bad thing)
Someone please sperate this spagetti bowl of twisted agenda's, power plays ,vendetta's ,rumours, facts and inuendo's

Last edited:

JenEagle

Bencher
All I can say is what a complicated world the NRL and sea eagles are. So many issues to unpack.
In general Only a small amount of time is spent by head coaches these days actually coaching day to day. Most of the job is managing players, player managers, dealing with media, planning for future games or next seasons, salary cap, ceos and other stakeholders.

Pete W

Bencher
This week will be a telling one re our beloved club's direction in the near future. Just for shiits & giggles I asked myself what changes would I make if I could (without any real knowledge of inside dealings etc).

Assuming we're stuck with Penn, and Des walks:

Coaches:
Of the names thrown up, Madge & Siebold don't particularly scream success. Hales & Flanagan have some merit to varying degrees and Slater would never come. I would put
Flanagan Assistant Coach (Defence structures and wrestle etc)
Walker Bros Assistant Coach (Attack)
Hales Head Coach (General player management etc)
Blend of modern and old-school approaches

Players:
Release DCE. Assuming his 2yr extension is around the 800k mark, find a club in need of an experienced half. If they are happy to give a 3yr×$600k deal for Cpt of Qld, they win, and we foot the remaining 600k for 2023, and 200k for both '24 & '25. Why pay deadweight? If this truly is a clean out, better to do it properly and immediately.

With the extra funds (and assuming there aren't elite 7s and 9s currently available ), I would bring back Cust. He has a great working relationship with Guac, and I would have Humphreys as his understudy/ back-up.

We would also need a little more money to bolster our pack. Not sure where from but grant the release of Bullemor (if he asks), and use remain funds for the last few spots in the 30 to buy:

Klemmar, and

1× hard arse English backrower (Whitehead/Young/Bateman type)

Captaincy:
Jake and Tom co-Captains. Pretty simple one.

Team Selections:
I would go with a young spine that will struggle for 2023 but in time could develop into a formidable group. This would be my team:
1. Weekes
2. Saab / (19. Vaega)
3. Koula
4. Turbo (c)
5. Garrick
6. Schuster
7. Cust* (18. Humphreys)
8. Klemmar*
9. Chan Kum Tong
10. Jake (c)
11. Ola'akautu
12. [English import]*
13. Fulton
14. Lawton (Probably start Karl first 20min)
15. Tuilagi
16. Aloiai
17. Paseka
20. Tuitavake

Reserves:
Tuipulotu, Parker, Burbo, Harper
Croker
Keppie, Sipley, Fifita

Peter C

Bencher
I really doubt that he would be getting $1.2 million for his final two years at age 35 and 36

Highflier

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I really doubt that he would be getting $1.2 million for his final two years at age 35 and 36
I would like to doubt it too ,but thats what Rothtool said on BSB today if you can believe him ,know one picked him up on it although I suspect the hosts don't listen to the old dribbler anyways.

JenEagle

Bencher
Jesus H. Christ: Paul Gallen, Unlikely Voice of Reason…
agree with Paul Gallen here. Our season unfolded when our CEO left so suddenly leaving our front office a bit exposed. All of the factional issues, pride saga etc would have been handled differently as Stephen Humphreys appeared to be doing a good job keeping our front office on top of any issues.

In saying this though the reports around why he had to resign do sound very strange and out of character so who knows what was happening behind the scenes.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
Just an aside .... never clear whether it's the front office or the back office.
Is it a gay/straight thing? 😉🙃🤷‍♀️

And who exactly is in this geographically vague office? Everyone who doesn't pass a footy?
How many are there? What do they do?

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18