Manase Fainu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Fainu has done bugger all and i don't care how good he is, he has done nothing along with walker but get us chared into a mess. We had a go forward player in the name of Blake and where did he end up. If he was not a go forward player then please fill me in on who was. And where have we ended up now on the ladder. Why on earth are we still blowing wind up Fainus skirt when he has been apart of such a cost to the club. Fu k me if this aint reality then someone explain what is. And some of you guys say you support MANLY. Get real guys and pay homage where its needed and not to people that don't deserve it for sake of conversation. By reading some of these comments you would swear he was the next Max krillich when he has not played a friggin game this year and god only knows when he will play again. Yap yap yap yap yap

Here we go it got more to do than just no api and fainu. Wingers have become huge factor in game both of our are very average. We played a fellow no one wanted in Levi and croker a complete hack it was the most pathetic hooker combo I have seen in a manly jumper.

Penrith are a hard working no fuss team that play the percentages well and squeeze the opposition, means they have a lot of players with a damn good hard working attitude.

I'm sure there have been many teams over the years with low injury tolls who have not come close to 17 games unbeaten, along with teams with more Rep level players in their squad not being able to achieve that.

A few hard nosed hungry country boys never hurts also.
Agree, but that says nothing about Fainu’s ability. You’re arguing against Fainu by comparing him to an entire squad that have had an outstanding year. It’s an incongruous argument.

Naturally Fainu has areas to work on. Tell me a player at his age that doesn’t? He is a special talent with vision beyond his years. He lifted the team every time he took the field. He combines very well with the rest of the spine which keeps the opposition defence vulnerable - something we sorely lacked this year.

Defence and fitness can be worked on. It’s not like he is some lightweight either, he has a great build for a hooker with plenty of strength.

If he gets off, and has a few games under his belt next year, I would be stunned if 2022 isn’t a cracking year for him. I’m backing him in.

Enjoy your night TC.

Fainu has done bugger all and i don't care how good he is, he has done nothing along with walker but get us chared into a mess. We had a go forward player in the name of Blake and where did he end up. If he was not a go forward player then please fill me in on who was. And where have we ended up now on the ladder. Why on earth are we still blowing wind up Fainus skirt when he has been apart of such a cost to the club. Fu k me if this aint reality then someone explain what is. And some of you guys say you support MANLY. Get real guys and pay homage where its needed and not to people that don't deserve it for sake of conversation. By reading some of these comments you would swear he was the next Max krillich when he has not played a friggin game this year and god only knows when he will play again. Yap yap yap yap yap
Nice rant.

That is why Manly are where they are this year because 99.9% of you focus on youtube highlight reels and not the overall performance levels.

Fainu has potential but not worth waiting three years for, plus he keeps being in the news for all the wrong reasons more than once now---how much more patience does a club have to endure.
Lol weren't you the one asking for YouTube highlights of his game?? You have 0 idea about what you're talking about, as usual. Technical coach of bull**** perhaps?

What is more mind boggling is people thinking that go forward would of improved as a result of Fainu playing----ridiculous.

Many other elements of team performance need to come together before a hooker makes a substantial difference in that regard.

Look at today with Damien Cook not having much impact because the go forward was lacking due to fatigued and in general feeling flat bigger forwards(from the long season along with the heat) that lacked impact and wingers not taking up the slack either.

The speed and energy of the Panthers defensive line has been impressive to watch and their ability to adjust----lots of energy from the inside to support the outside defenders--- these are effort plays----i don't see Fainu doing that.
What did Levi do whenever there was an offload? Or a lazy marker? How was his defence? Or fitness?

If your 9 takes advantage of momentum, this will absolutely result in improved go forward, as this has a flow on effect. By penetrating a team's defensive line from the centre, this sucks in defenders continually, giving huge advantage to our forwards, offering more space for our outside backs, and alleviates significant pressure from our halves. But what am I doing wasting my time explaining this? You're a technical coach right? No one is saying, Fainu can fix all manly's issues, but he can help dramatically. Des signs effort players. Anyone can see Fainu plays bloody good footy

Just look at the trys we scored even he came on.
The kind of trys we missed this year
Fainu may not be mature off the field yet but he is way above his age on it . Very smart impulsive player . Great opportunist and reads the game well . X factor player and defensively is great as well . The players that tried to fill his position this year just made up the numbers instead of making the impact that Fainu made .
We had quite a few players in our 30 that made up the numbers this year . We need to raise the bar on our quality top 30 so we can be more competitive just like the other top teams when injury hits.
A mate of mine is a South Sydney supporter and he was telling me just how proud he was of his team that had nearly half a team out with strike players out like Mitchell , Roberts and other regular starting players Ethan Lowe , Amone and Burns as well as losing another couple of players during the game . He said all Souths players that filled in were competitive and Souths could have won the game .

One of Fainu's best traits is that he plays eyes-up footy. He has awareness of what's going on around him and can adjust mid-play, then you compare that to Levi who had blinkers on 99% of the time.

Fainu looks to have a real footy brain, and that is what you need, especially when the hooker touches the ball most times out of anyone in the side... It's probably why Des is looking at playing Foran at 9, because he has that footy brain that we lacked in 2020 around the ruck

That is why Manly are where they are this year because 99.9% of you focus on youtube highlight reels and not the overall performance levels.

Fainu has potential but not worth waiting three years for, plus he keeps being in the news for all the wrong reasons more than once now---how much more patience does a club have to endure.
The proof is in the pudding feathered friend ...
Manly are where we are this year is because players that filled in for dominant players like Fainu , Tom , and Walker were not dominant and we need dominant players in our squad like Fainu to be a dominant force and be able to compete with the best .
Even you agree that Fainu has shown he has potential.
Apart from this court case he has not been in the news for all the wrong reasons and our club obviously believes he is innocent . He is also out with a Season ending injury and I can see why our club has been patient .

What did Levi do whenever there was an offload? Or a lazy marker? How was his defence? Or fitness?

If your 9 takes advantage of momentum, this will absolutely result in improved go forward, as this has a flow on effect. By penetrating a team's defensive line from the centre, this sucks in defenders continually, giving huge advantage to our forwards, offering more space for our outside backs, and alleviates significant pressure from our halves. But what am I doing wasting my time explaining this? You're a technical coach right? No one is saying, Fainu can fix all manly's issues, but he can help dramatically. Des signs effort players. Anyone can see Fainu plays bloody good footy
Totally correct....the BIG difference is Levi like many hookers are they are often premature decision makers, they will decide to scoot from dummy half or who they are passing to well before the attacking ball carrier has even been stopped....whereas Fainu like Smith will base the attacking decision on what and where the defence are at, playing heads up footy based on what is in front of them....a rare gift iced by the fact Fainu is very powerful, quick enough and has a sharp passing game having a background also of a quality halfback - ideal tools for the modern day hooker.

Fainu is potentially a great No 9 ...... my biggest worry with him is his ego and attitude ... if Des and co can turn that around and if he is cleared of the stabbing charge then fantastic for him and us .... but I have my worries ..... he needs to become a full 80 minute player too

Only have to reflect back to last season and Fainu 's importance to the attacking plays where quite a bit of the Manly game plan was revolving around some reasonable ruck go forward and then for Fainu to try some heads up play with his strong and deceptively quick runs and good reading of the ruck area . Api was excellent also with his quick darts and high work rate but Fainu had that extra ability to break up an opposition's . defensive structure . Was more then holding his own in defence also , support play and covering up around the ruck .

I'm not saying a player who has a crisp lateral pass is the be all and end all, but i would rather a player who can pass and defend than someone who can skirt around, engage a little but can't tackle and fatigues very fast during intense moments of play in defence.

There is a lack of leadership and toughness in this squad as it is, we need a Ballin like hard working hooker for now and focus on other areas of our game and player recruitment for long term gains ---not short term fixes.

Proof is in the pudding, Api is playing in a GF. Let's be clear here i don't rate Api's passing game at all, never have---it is average also, but Hasler was quick to cast Api aside after returning from injury for a younger more flashy version that lacks substance "in my opinion"

The differene with Api is he has defensive leadership qualities, is hard working and can engage the ruck also in his own ways when fit and confident, just never felt like Hasler had him in his plans from day dot and combining that lack of confidence from the coach with a return from injury at the start of the season worked against Api.

Now we have a flashy not so hard working hooker out for 2 years with the third year probably getting used to the game again and a squad that lacks hard working types as it is.

If the game was all about attack for sure i would agree with most here, but what people don't realise is a hard working hooker takes up so much defensive workload off the forwards, sures up the middle, pressures from the inside and reduces the load on the interchange---points come indirectly from this also that don't make the individual stats.

Ballin helped Manly big time and was very under-rated, a lot of Manly's go forward in those years was laterally based around back rowers and centres, Ballins strong crisp passing helped hit the edges more efficiently.
I think you're talking this idea of Fainu having bad defence into your head. After reading that it sounds like he is a lazy slob that constantly gets ragdolled in the middle, letting in try after try and linebreak after linebreak. Our middle defence (and defence as a whole) was great last year. It was a lot better than every Trent Barrett/Api Koroisau year before it! Pretty sure Api missed the most tackles in our squad and perhaps even in the whole nrl in years like 2018?

Fainu is a playmaker that delivers crisp service, but importantly, in the right places as he has a good vision around the ruck and feel for the game. Api was off the field for 15 or so minutes last night and Penrith kept ticking on because they are a team filled with playmakers, so Api most of the time just needs to provide good attacking runs out of dummy half (his main strength) to target markers that aren't square and break down the ruck. Off the back of that the halves link the backline and players like Kikau.

He didn't work for us in the sense that we lack playmakers so whenever we hit form it was off offloads and jinking runs. That's great to watch, although is very inconsistent and fell apart in big games. We had no fallback except in 2017 when Green and DCE formed a relatively good partnership.

Fainu was outperforming Api significantly in 2019 with his vision, passing game and also his running game (which is so similar to Api's). Often when he wasn't on the field and Api was on for his stint we lost some sharpness in our attack. We had a choice of who to keep, and we kept the better dummy half. Api works at penrith as he doesn't have to worry about a lack of speed or a lack of playmakers. All api has to do is create momentum. If you put Fainu in the Panther's 9 jersey they'd be the same. They kept winning comfortably when api was injured mid-season. Fainu's stand-down stuffed us, that's all that's wrong with this choice

Last edited by a moderator:

For once I actually disagree with you TC...one of my favourite posters. Sure his defence in non existent, but that’s to be expected. I’d definitely wait another year for the kid.

Nothing better than a good “ rumble in the jungle “ on Silvertails!!!

But it’s a forum and everyone has an opinion!!

Keep it up boys ( and girls ) most entertaining.
Thats right feathered friend . Forums are all about ones perspective point of view
The sooner we all get this point the more appreciative on feathered friends will become
The key factor here is We all love our Manly Sea eagles

The proof is in the pudding feathered friend ...
Manly are where we are this year is because players that filled in for dominant players like Fainu , Tom , and Walker were not dominant and we need dominant players in our squad like Fainu to be a dominant force and be able to compete with the best .
Even you agree that Fainu has shown he has potential.
Apart from this court case he has not been in the news for all the wrong reasons and our club obviously believes he is innocent . He is also out with a Season ending injury and I can see why our club has been patient .

Didn’t he get done filming a sex act without consent too. He’s basically always putting himself out there in public showboating being a gangsta. He’s talented af but I’d say he ain’t great at keeping a low profile

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6