Manaise Fainu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Just some comparison stats for fun ... yes I know 4 games is not a large sample set ... yes I know they are playing at different stages of the game ... yes I know stats don't tell you everything etc etc .... but interesting none the less .... and we are also comparing stats for a seasoned FG'er V's a beginner ... but still intresting ..

Api 205 mins 132 tackles 3 missed tackles
so 0.64 tackles per min or x 80 = 51.2 tackles per game ..
giving a missed tackle rate of 0.0222 ..

Fainu 123 mins 70 tackles 5 missed tackles
so 0.56 tackles per min or x 80 = 45.5 tacles per game
giving a missed tackle rate of 0.0667 ....

So you're saying sack Fainu then. Wow, that's harsh man...harsh!

lol cough

As you're a busy man, just type stats and 'usual disclaimers' that'll save you valuable...seconds. Think of the freedom?!

The way Des is using Api and Fainu is very similar to how he used Matt Ballin and Heath L'Estrange 10 years ago.

Back then, Matty would start and usually played the whole first half. His defence was brilliant and so was his service from dummy half. Then after half time he'd bring on L'Estrange and the stats showed that we scored most of our points in the 20 or so minutes after half time, and we scored more points in that period than any other side in the NRL at the time. Heath may not have been the defender that Matty was (but then, not many were), but he had more flair in attack and we usually scored more points with Heath on the field than Matty. And that's nothing against Ballin, its just that L'Estrange offered more in attack than mostly good dummy half service.

That's basically what's happening now. The main difference is that Api doesn't have anywhere near the same quality in his dummy half service that Matty Ballin had, nor is he as good there as Fainu.

I have to agree with @Sue about Fainu's defence. In the 20 minutes after half time against the Warriors when they were basically camped in our 20 for set after set, and again on Saturday with us having to put in so much defensive work due to coughing up so much possession, Fainu didn't take a backward step. He was in there tackling with the best of them and doing his job well. This theory that he can't defend is just garbage.

Oh, and the thought that Fainu is only coming in against tired defences.....does not just about every coach replace their starting props (and sometimes a back rower) with fresh players after about 20 or so minutes?

1980 Krillich, Brown & Gray .... I remeber a game at Brooky ... I think against rorters but maybe wrong there, where they were all on the field together

Ah, but what you have to remember is that John Gray was also used a lot as a prop while Ray Brown could also play in the back row. And both were good enough to play test football in either position (though truth be told, Brown was a better hooker than he was a second rower, but he still wasn't as good as Thrower). So having all three on the field at the same time was no big deal.

The way Des is using Api and Fainu is very similar to how he used Matt Ballin and Heath L'Estrange 10 years ago.

Back then, Matty would start and usually played the whole first half. His defence was brilliant and so was his service from dummy half. Then after half time he'd bring on L'Estrange and the stats showed that we scored most of our points in the 20 or so minutes after half time, and we scored more points in that period than any other side in the NRL at the time. Heath may not have been the defender that Matty was (but then, not many were), but he had more flair in attack and we usually scored more points with Heath on the field than Matty. And that's nothing against Ballin, its just that L'Estrange offered more in attack than mostly good dummy half service.

That's basically what's happening now. The main difference is that Api doesn't have anywhere near the same quality in his dummy half service that Matty Ballin had, nor is he as good there as Fainu.

I have to agree with @Sue about Fainu's defence. In the 20 minutes after half time against the Warriors when they were basically camped in our 20 for set after set, and again on Saturday with us having to put in so much defensive work due to coughing up so much possession, Fainu didn't take a backward step. He was in there tackling with the best of them and doing his job well. This theory that he can't defend is just garbage.

Oh, and the thought that Fainu is only coming in against tired defences.....does not just about every coach replace their starting props (and sometimes a back rower) with fresh players after about 20 or so minutes?

Ah, but what you have to remember is that John Gray was also used a lot as a prop while Ray Brown could also play in the back row. And both were good enough to play test football in either position (though truth be told, Brown was a better hooker than he was a second rower, but he still wasn't as good as Thrower). So having all three on the field at the same time was no big deal.
Made 35 tackles in 52 minutes last week according to NRL preview. Not sure people realise how solid this kid is for a young bloke.He can handle himself don’t worry about that .

Last edited:
Somewhere in this thread someone mentioned that we finished 15th last year with Manase Fainu playing the back end of the year.

True. No argument there. The facts and history doesn't lie. We DID finish 15th.

But think about this. With Api before he went down with that foot injury.....we were already 13th at that point and falling fast. And Fainu didn't come into the side until about 2-3 weeks later because our brainiac "Supercoach" had not put another hooker in the 30 man squad and the NRL in its infinite wisdom forced to use Lewis Brown, Matty Wright and Ternt Hodkinson before they allowed us to upgrade Manase's contract and have him in the squad.

Api is OK, don't get me wrong. But I thought at the back end of 2016 that we got rid of the wrong hooker, we should have kept Matt Parcell and let Api go. I just hope history doesn't end up repeating and we also lose Fainu while keeping Api.

However, for now I am happy to back Des' judgement and if he wants to use both in first grade, so be it. He knows more about it than any of us ever will.

I can never understand why we punted Parcell. He had so much ability. It was a shame and a real waste.
I think Api is a great team player. Had he stayed fit last season we would have won more matches.
Fainu is going to be another good 'un, and two good 'uns are better than one.

I still think a lot of the reason why we kept Api and not Parcell was because Api had a better personal relationship with Barrett having worked with him at and come across with him from Penrith. On talent alone, Parcell was and is better IMO. His dummy half work was much better, as was his running game. And if you look back at the stats, Parcell averaged less missed tackles than Api.

Api also fit into Barrett's game plan of not having a running dummy half.

The way Manase Fainu plays is similar to Parcell, though he's probably a bit more creative than Parcell and he also has a better kicking game.

Last edited:
MD today

John Hopoate helps a rising Sea Eagles star

Jon Geddes

image.ashx

Manase Fainu about to score a try against the Warriors. Picture: AAP

LIVEWIRE Sea Eagles hooker Manase Fainu has revealed how former NRL bad boy John Hopoate has been a mentor as his career really starts taking off.

While Hopoate has had plenty of dramas on and off the field, he has been able to draw on his own experiences to offer words of wisdom to the Sea Eagles rising star.

Hopoate is a family friend and Fainu’s parents attended the same Mormon church.

Fainu had a hiccup of his own when he received a suspension after pleading guilty to filming a sex act without consent last year.

“It was pretty tough,” he said.

And Hopoate was on hand with advice and support.

“He has helped me a lot,” Fainu said.

“He has been through everything.”

The young forward often catches up with the old warhorse for a chat, but not that much about football.

“More like off-field situations, keeping out of trouble,” Fainu said.

And what was Hopoate’s advice?

“Stay away from girls,” Fainu said.

The 20-year-old also said it was the Hopoate family that brought him to the Sea Eagles from Parramatta.

He was playing for Fairfield United with John Hopoate Junior and got dropped from the Eels’ Harold Matthews side.

“I was devastated and moved on from there,” Fainu said.

He arrived at Manly aged 17 with a point to prove and has succeeded in doing that.

Fainu has been working well in tandem with the Sea Eagles experienced starting hooker Api Koroisau.

“He has been helping from day one since I moved up to first grade,” Fainu said.

“Even when he was injured he was on the sideline saying to ‘you can do this, you can do that’. “And if I can help him out, I try and help him out. “We are like brothers.”

Fainu is off contract at the end of this season. “ I would love to stay here, I love the club, love the culture here, everything about it. “(I’ll) See how things turn out.”

Fainu second most runs and run metres for a 9 in the NRL

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6008824/fainu-feared-2019-chance-was-shot-at-manly/

r0_0_800_600_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Manase Fainu has starred for Manly off the bench this season.

Livewire Manly hooker Manase Fainu feared he would spend most the NRL season in reserve grade after missing the opening round due to an off-field suspension.

A star in his rookie year while filling in for the injured Api Koroisau, Fainu has become a weapon off the bench for the Sea Eagles in 2019.

The 20-year-old has scored three tries in three games this season, darting out of dummy-half and busting through an average of more than three tackles per game.

But as his round-one suspension after pleading guilty to filming a sex act without consent last year coincided with Koroisau's return, Fainu thought he'd spend his year playing for Blacktown in NSW Cup.

"I thought it would be hard (to get back)," Fainu said.

"I didn't expect to play first grade this year. But now I'm coming off the bench and playing 50-odd minutes and just doing my job for the team.

"After the first week ... he (Des) just called me into his office and just spoke to me one on one (and told me I was back)."

Fainu and Koroisau have since formed a close bond, with the pair even combining to form a one-two punch for the Sea Eagles through the middle out of dummy-half against South Sydney.

Off the field Fainu also credits Koroisau with playing a guiding role, urging the youngster to stay out of trouble and turn up to training in the right frame of mind each day.

There's also the real influence of Hasler on the pitch too, who has Fainu averaging the second most runs and run metres of all hookers in the NRL despite giving up minutes on a number of his rivals.

"As soon as Des came in he told me what I had to work on," the club's former under-20s premiership-winning captain said.

"I thought it would be defence but it was my running game and taking on markers, which is good."

Last edited:
I can never understand why we punted Parcell. He had so much ability. It was a shame and a real waste.
I think Api is a great team player. Had he stayed fit last season we would have won more matches.
Fainu is going to be another good 'un, and two good 'uns are better than one.

Because Barrett had a massive chubby for Api.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8