Let’s STOP this RIGHT NOW !!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
So he (Baz) continues with his bullsht lines about getting the best for the players etc etc. Meanwhile does a dump and run on his players by resigning in July with 12 months notice leaving them with no coach hallway through a season. Yeah nah sorry. The guy is a first class puta who uses all the excuses other than his own failures and inabilities. The players all love him, well that's just wonderful. Do they also love finishing at the bottom of the table and have their future earnings potentials eroded by this guy.

Firstly, I am no fan of Barrett's coaching, I'm sure he's a nice guy but he was hugely inexperienced, and notwithstanding a terrible run of injuries and a weak squad, he still lacked the killer instinct and fear factor we needed (a la Hasler) to stop results like the Penrith and Gold Coast horrible Brookie capitulations.

But let's look at the Barrett contract issue in clear light.

1. Barrett's an employee with a contract stating he is head coach, and can only be head coach, with a resignation notice period of 12 months. RESULT: No problem there you'd think, as coaches don't usually ever resign of their own free will.

2. Barrett resigns in July 2018 giving his contractually agreed 12 months notice period to expire in July 2019. RESULT: Big problem, suddenly we don't have a coach beyond July 2019 and clearly the club needs a coach for the whole season, preferably starting Mon Nov 5.

3. Penn signs Hasler to start Mon Nov 5. RESULT: Big problem, now the club has TWO head coaches, and the outgoing one Barrett won't leave without a full payout, as if his legally contract right.

4. Penn realises his error in having two head coaches so declares Barrett can stay paid until July but in another capacity. RESULT: Big problem, Barrett's contract clearly states he can ONLY be head coach and not demoted to a lesser role.

6. Barrett makes it clear he must be head coach, or happily be fully paid out as per his contract. RESULT: Penn continues to refuse the payout, so we STILL have two head coaches.

7. Hasler turns up to work on Mon Nov 5, clearly expecting Penn to have resolved the matter so he can coach the team without the media turning up to see Hasler and Barrett opening their car doors in front of each other in the carpark. RESULT: Penn still hasn't settled the payout.

Need I continue?

Like it or not Penn agreed to a contract where Barrett was fully entitled to a 12 month resignation period AS HEAD COACH or as it standard employment practice he gets fully paid out to leave early.

Penn rightfully states as an employer he needed to protect his business by employing Hasler, but that's got nothing to do with the fact he also has a contract to honour with Barrett.

And why did Penn agree to a 12 month resignation clause in the first place? Probably because coaches never resign, they get fired and paid out, at a time frame that suits the club. Therefore the July problem was seemingly not something that anyone imaged would happen.

Until that is, Barrett thought he had the Penrith gig so resigned in July only to be sold the dump from Gus/Beavis and didn't get it after all.

The solution? Surely Penn needs to pay Barrett out in full, RIGHT NOW, just like other clubs do.

If Jake and Tom can see that's as clear as day, why can't anyone else?

Meanwhile Des needs a clear media free space to coach the team back to greatness, not a media circus.
You haven't told us anything we don't know, so your headline is really just click bait lol. With (your) Point 4, you are making a big assumption about what Barrett's contract says. We have no idea what Barrett's contract says.
Let him sit at home and pay him his weekly wage like anyone else. If he wants to leave for a different job, he can ask for a release. He resigned. It's his problem, not the clubs.
If his contract does say 'he can only be the head coach', then Penn has a problem, but we don't know that his contract says that.

Last edited:
Firstly, I am no fan of Barrett's coaching, I'm sure he's a nice guy but he was hugely inexperienced, and notwithstanding a terrible run of injuries and a weak squad, he still lacked the killer instinct and fear factor we needed (a la Hasler) to stop results like the Penrith and Gold Coast horrible Brookie capitulations.

1. Barrett's an employee with a contract stating he is head coach, and can only be head coach, with a resignation notice period of 12 months. RESULT: No problem there you'd think, as coaches don't usually ever resign of their own free will.

2. Barrett resigns in July 2018 giving his contractually agreed 12 months notice period to expire in July 2019. RESULT: Big problem, suddenly we don't have a coach beyond July 2019 and clearly the club needs a coach for the whole season, preferably starting Mon Nov 5.

3. Penn signs Hasler to start Mon Nov 5. RESULT: Big problem, now the club has TWO head coaches, and the outgoing one Barrett won't leave without a full payout, as if his legally contract right.

4. Penn realises his error in having two head coaches so declares Barrett can stay paid until July but in another capacity. RESULT: Big problem, Barrett's contract clearly states he can ONLY be head coach and not demoted to a lesser role.

6. Barrett makes it clear he must be head coach, or happily be fully paid out as per his contract. RESULT: Penn continues to refuse the payout, so we STILL have two head coaches.

7. Hasler turns up to work on Mon Nov 5, clearly expecting Penn to have resolved the matter so he can coach the team without the media turning up to see Hasler and Barrett opening their car doors in front of each other in the carpark. RESULT: Penn still hasn't settled the payout.

Need I continue?

Like it or not Penn agreed to a contract where Barrett was fully entitled to a 12 month resignation period AS HEAD COACH or as it standard employment practice he gets fully paid out to leave early.

Penn rightfully states as an employer he needed to protect his business by employing Hasler, but that's got nothing to do with the fact he also has a contract to honour with Barrett.

And why did Penn agree to a 12 month resignation clause in the first place? Probably because coaches never resign, they get fired and paid out, at a time frame that suits the club. Therefore the July problem was seemingly not something that anyone imaged would happen.

Until that is, Barrett thought he had the Penrith gig so resigned in July only to be sold the dump from Gus/Beavis and didn't get it after all.

The solution? Surely Penn needs to pay Barrett out in full, RIGHT NOW, just like other clubs do.

Meanwhile Des needs a clear media free space to coach the team back to greatness, not a media circus.

So you've actually seen & read the contents of Barrett's contract? You know for a fact his contract stipulates he can ONLY be head coach? Barrett tenders his resignation & is by your reckoning entitled to a full payout? You know that Penn actually agreed to a contract which stipulates he must payout the said employee if the employee tenders his resignation? Really? Are you aware that once a resignation is forthcoming, the company, as such, is entitled to protect it's interests & is NOT obligated to payout unless the said company is the party that forced, coerced the employee to resign or issued the employee with a 12 month notice period at which time the said company is then responsible to payout! \The company is legally bound to continue employing the said employee for the duration of the resignation term unless an agreement is reached whereby both parties are satisfied & the employee receives a nominal payout to his & the company's satisfaction. The company is NOT obligated to keep the employee in the same position only having to ensure he is paid his due salary & in a position deemed suitable. So just FYI.........Penn does NOT have to payout Barrett at all! Penn is only required to payout what amount is agreed to & NOT in full. You seem to have read all the bull$hit that the papers have written about the situation & seem to have sided with them. Facts are difficult to obtain & unless you & others are privy to the actual contents of the contract & fine print then we should be wary of what we say...........I think the Trbo's can't actually see anything clear as as day because NONE of this is clear as day. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, however it is just that...an opinion made up by reading stories written by journos who embellish everything with no actual knowledge of what is transpiring to make it sound dramatic. When we are in receipt of actual facts then we can all talk. Until then the Trbos would be better keeping their opinions to themselves & concentrate on their jobs........just sayin'.

So you've actually seen & read the contents of Barrett's contract? You know for a fact his contract stipulates he can ONLY be head coach? Barrett tenders his resignation & is by your reckoning entitled to a full payout? You know that Penn actually agreed to a contract which stipulates he must payout the said employee if the employee tenders his resignation? Really? Are you aware that once a resignation is forthcoming, the company, as such, is entitled to protect it's interests & is NOT obligated to payout unless the said company is the party that forced, coerced the employee to resign or issued the employee with a 12 month notice period at which time the said company is then responsible to payout! \The company is legally bound to continue employing the said employee for the duration of the resignation term unless an agreement is reached whereby both parties are satisfied & the employee receives a nominal payout to his & the company's satisfaction. The company is NOT obligated to keep the employee in the same position only having to ensure he is paid his due salary & in a position deemed suitable. So just FYI.........Penn does NOT have to payout Barrett at all! Penn is only required to payout what amount is agreed to & NOT in full. You seem to have read all the bull$hit that the papers have written about the situation & seem to have sided with them. Facts are difficult to obtain & unless you & others are privy to the actual contents of the contract & fine print then we should be wary of what we say...........I think the Trbo's can't actually see anything clear as as day because NONE of this is clear as day. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, however it is just that...an opinion made up by reading stories written by journos who embellish everything with no actual knowledge of what is transpiring to make it sound dramatic. When we are in receipt of actual facts then we can all talk. Until then the Trbos would be better keeping their opinions to themselves & concentrate on their jobs........just sayin'.
Correct. We have no idea what the contract says.

Maybe Penns Lawyers can see something that that footballers and supporters cant see
Exactly, the Turbo boys are just young footballers, they're not lawyers, they're just mates with Barrett and don't want to see Barrett being "stitched" up, while all along he's "stitching " Manly.
I'm sure Penn would have sought legal advice over this matter.

Fair old play from his manager to try turn perception against the club

i think the 12 month notice was put in place for when coaches would like to leave a year early, however providing notice at the end of a year.

For a coach to put notice in half way through a season smacks BS, knowing no club can have 2 different coaches in the one year. Was he really expecting to coach for 6 months, i don't think so, but he was happy to get paid 6 months for doing nothing, so he can buzz off.

Exactly, the Turbo boys are just young footballers, they're not lawyers, they're just mates with Barrett and don't want to see Barrett being "stitched" up, while all along he's "stitching " Manly.
I'm sure Penn would have sought legal advice over this matter.
Beware of Penns Legal Eagles .
They will eye out all the loopholes on Trents contract and pick them out like worms to the slaughter .

Twitter_Logo.jpg

If you think how much folding Beesting head Gould has flushed down the brasco on coaches while in charge of the Pennies, 300K is not much.
Just pay him and wipe the slate clean.

We don't need this dragging on any longer.

Penrith can afford to, $300,000 would be what they bring in on the pokies over a couple of days.

Fair old play from his manager to try turn perception against the club
Not sure who is advising him through this fiasco.
But my guess is that a couple of months ago Barrett had a fair amount of public sympathy for being stuck with Manly, but that has turned around appreciably over the past couple of weeks.
Right now his clever decision to give 12 months notice expiring in July looks to be destroying his credibility, and hence his NRL coaching career. At least in the short term.

Barrett is royally farked in every way. Contract or no contract. He tried to dance with the devil and has ended up with a train full of butt hurt. All for the sake of standing up for his players and the greater good...

Not sure who is advising him through this fiasco.
But my guess is that a couple of months ago Barrett had a fair amount of public sympathy for being stuck with Manly, but that has turned around appreciably over the past couple of weeks.
Right now his clever decision to give 12 months notice expiring in July looks to be destroying his credibility, and hence his NRL coaching career. At least in the short term.
Agree
Although , to be fair, it is the opinion of non Manly fans that count (for his next role etc) so we might not be the best judges

My guess is that the Penn’s are banking on him getting another gig, not turning up, and therefore breaching the contract. I heard last night on some sports news that he has been approached for an assistant role in the ESL. Can’t recall the club and head coach. Given they play in our summer, it might be decision time for him.

Need I continue?

Agree and fully correct. Pay up Penn. See ya Barrett.

So he (Baz) continues with his bullsht lines about getting the best for the players etc etc. Meanwhile does a dump and run on his players by resigning in July with 12 months notice leaving them with no coach hallway through a season. Yeah nah sorry. The guy is a first class puta who uses all the excuses other than his own failures and inabilities. The players all love him, well that's just wonderful. Do they also love finishing at the bottom of the table and have their future earnings potentials eroded by this guy.
Yep. That was the thing for me. All that stuff about sticking by those blokes who are in there hurting in the sheds (hurting because of another loss because of no game plan, but I digress) while all the while having resigned in July. He'd already lost me as a coach but there's where he lost me as a person.
As for what the Penns should do? What would Kerry Packer have done? He'd have tried to part with as little money as possible while trying to screw him out of a future career. Welcome to business Baz!

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8