Kelma Tuilagi

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Not so convinced.
Turbo wasn't running so hot at start of this year before injury.
And team tactics seemed to be "give it to Turbo" instead of creating freedom for other players.
We are more forced to rely on other players creating when Turbo is not there.

Agree entirely - the opposition teams worked out the Turbo factor, adapted and countered him - hence his really poor start to the season. How do you play Manly? Ask any opposition coach. Shut down Turbo.

Being so one dimensional, lacking the ability to adapt to the opposition, will leave you competing with the bottom teams, but being snuffed out by the top teams -- oh wait...

0 wins versus top 4 in 2.5 years
0 wins versus top 8 in the full season so far

When does Des coaching ability get questioned?

I watched Tuilagi closely in the Tuggers V Dogs match and I was impressed with his tackling. That was somewhat of a surprise to me because I thought he was predominately a ball-running second rower.
He did nothing in attack but much of that had to do with the players around him.
I'm starting to think that he and Guacca will make a good second row combination for us next season.
He's kinda like a slightly lesser version of Guacca, can see this pairing really working for us.

We also had no Shu - which means you can focus on shutting him and DCE down
Fully fit there are a number of weapons in attack across the park
A fully fit Tommy and Schuster from "round 1" 2023, will be something for our fans to feast on.

What is the reason that the much admired Koala has only scored one try in his 12 NRL matches? This is an unacceptably low strike rate for a centre, and compares poorly against two of our maligned centres Parker and Harpo.
Whilst I have been impressed with Koala's defence, and his obvious speed when in space, I'm searching for reasons why he hasn't torn defences apart. Does he go looking for the ball enough? Does he back-up half-breaks? Is he not getting good early ball? This last reason doesn't really stack up when you consider he is playing outside club greats DCE and Foran, and attacking weapons such as The Shoe.
I'm hoping that he does shine in the second half of this season, and that when Turbo returns he will have more space to show he is a centre of excellence.

Not so convinced.
Turbo wasn't running so hot at start of this year before injury.
And team tactics seemed to be "give it to Turbo" instead of creating freedom for other players.
We are more forced to rely on other players creating when Turbo is not there.
Playing the better part of this year without him will mean we should be more than a one trick pony next year.

I like what I'm seeing in Garrick - his confidence at fullback seems to be growing with each game & he's injecting himself into attacking play more & more each game.

I noticed he chimed into backline movements a la Turbo (thanks to Snake) a few times against the Cowboys.

There is no way that 2023 side can win a comp. Replace the entire bench, which is where we are failing this year.

Also need a new "matchwinner" but we dont have the money!
We have Turbo, DCE, Schuster, Koula, Olakau'atu , M Fainu next year. Surely there's a match winner or 2 in there. We're paying a couple of them enough to think they must be match winners every week. Or is it the coach who can't get the best out of them ??

I reckon he will be good for Manly
You could throw many good players into this Tigers circus and they would look reserve standard.
Will work well off Schuster as runs good lines and is a handful, simply unmotivated along with most /All of them.

The Cowboys turned things around with the same squad. All they added was Townsend and he is not setting the world on fire, he’s just steady.

We can compete next year with Turbo back, providing Des gets everyone up for it! Penrith went from missing the 8 to a premiership runner up in the space of a season, with the same roster.

RL issues are not born and solved with recruitment alone. Lots of factors go into performance. Too many variables to even mention. Eels get hammered by Dogs but beat Penrith at Penrith, with same players. Personnel is just one part of it.
Well, huge difference just there in being steady. Our half-man half-chook is anything but steady. He is the epitome of inconsistency

I wouldn’t be hanging your hopes on Tissue Turbo. I’d be investing in building a real TEAM. Synergy.

Whilst I agree that Townsend is a steady, calm and composed type, I still have DCE ahead of him, in terms of worth. Put it this way, if Townsend was at Manly in 2022, instead of DCE, I don't think we're any better off. I see the same issues with DCE that you mention, but his upside is so far ahead of anything Townsend does/can do, that we are better side for having him. Reynolds on the other hand, now there is a guy that could elevate Manly and make those around him better.

I put the Cowboys recent success down to good coaching, more than Townsend's influence. They've got strike players in Drinkwater, Holmes, the Hammer and co. It's been the defensive turnaround and energy from their forwards that has really elevated their position.
Yeah, but none of those mentioned looked anything like strike players before this season. Strange game indeed.

What is the reason that the much admired Koala has only scored one try in his 12 NRL matches? This is an unacceptably low strike rate for a centre, and compares poorly against two of our maligned centres Parker and Harpo.
Whilst I have been impressed with Koala's defence, and his obvious speed when in space, I'm searching for reasons why he hasn't torn defences apart. Does he go looking for the ball enough? Does he back-up half-breaks? Is he not getting good early ball? This last reason doesn't really stack up when you consider he is playing outside club greats DCE and Foran, and attacking weapons such as The Shoe.
I'm hoping that he does shine in the second half of this season, and that when Turbo returns he will have more space to show he is a centre of excellence.
I dunno… just ask Bozo. Speed kills and all that jazz

0 wins versus top 4 in 2.5 years
0 wins versus top 8 in the full season so far

When does Des coaching ability get questioned?

We have a top 4 team and a top 4 coach but we cannot beat a top 8 team

I like Des as he is one of my all time Manly Greats
But there is nothing Great about those stats of his

Under achievement Big Time

9 more games to go this season for Des to make amends and prove to us that he can still get his team up

Up to where the Manly Sea eagles belong !

240948987_10226342376526581_7626396401424013754_n.jpg

Fair points but don't forget, all our champion sides have had attacking halves, not Chad Townsend types. People talk about clubs having a style or identity, well Manly's style has always been playing attractive attacking rugby league. Not so famous for dour defense, nor the crushing forward power game, nor the robotic error-free style. We aren't the only ones of course, Broncos have also played a similar style but Manly's been doing it for far longer.

But yes we need better smarts and game awareness, and also to play our traditional style we need more guns, but not many more, I think we are pretty close. Get Turbo back and increase our dummy half threat for example. We scored 5 tries v Cows, who were supposed to be the best defensive team.
If we had turbo on Friday we probably put 50pts on the cows for the 3rd consecutive time. Aside from Chad they are basically the same team as last year but a more galvanized unit. We on the other hand more like our 2020 version with the occasional flash of 2021.

Knights, Dragons, Roosters, Titans, Eels, Sharks, Raiders, Bulldogs. We'll win 'em all.
That "s interesting , wasn "t aware that there are still 3 games against current top 8 sides [ well 4 including the Storm of course .] So 5 more home games including the Storm [ from my reckoning ] , so should help a bit . Can they jag 5 or 6 out of that remaining draw , heart says good chance , head says maybe . Maybe if Manly is all heart for the rest of the season , could be a real good chance .

That "s interesting , wasn "t aware that there are still 3 games against current top 8 sides [ well 4 including the Storm of course .] So 5 more home games including the Storm [ from my reckoning ] , so should help a bit . Can they jag 5 or 6 out of that remaining draw , heart says good chance , head says maybe . Maybe if Manly is all heart for the rest of the season , could be a real good chance .
I reckon where a more than a good chance, the opportunity’s there, the playing group know that, Des knows it, we have a lot to play for, hopefully Donny gets the boys primed coming home, it’s supposed to be our MO, peaking towards the end of the year, we know we‘re capable, we saw it for 70 mins last week, turn up against the scum and hold our own will prove a lot, I don’t expect we’ll win, but there’s always a chance, just building the self belief and playing out a strong 80 in a close one (maybe jagging a win) will serve us well on the run home. I’m not giving up hope just yet, however if we go down to the knights then the Dragons you could pretty well give up, but I just don’t see that happening, so where in it until where not.

Your answer is in your question

I reckon where a more than a good chance, the opportunity’s there, the playing group know that, Des knows it, we have a lot to play for, hopefully Donny gets the boys primed coming home, it’s supposed to be our MO, peaking towards the end of the year, we know we‘re capable, we saw it for 70 mins last week, turn up against the scum and hold our own will prove a lot, I don’t expect we’ll win, but there’s always a chance, just building the self belief and playing out a strong 80 in a close one (maybe jagging a win) will serve us well on the run home. I’m not giving up hope just yet, however if we go down to the knights then the Dragons you could pretty well give up, but I just don’t see that happening, so where in it until where not.
It aint over till it"s over is probably the best outlook for sure .

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4