Kelma Tuilagi

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm just not feeling it - and I'm hoping someone can MAKE me feel it, with reasons why I'm wrong.
Feelings aren't right or wrong, my feeling (for Manly this year and next) remains cautious optimism but I won't keep explaining my reasons as they're only opinion and I'm no expert.

In the end we all have to deal with our own feelings, I have some empathy with those who are sad but those who express anger outrage and disgust make me laugh actually. Which is a bit cold on my part, easy to say get a life but i concede some people may feel they've got little of value they can turn to except supporting a footy team. Damn this capitalist epoch!

Anyway Good luck to everyone here, Manly will win again soon. The law of averages guarantees this. (Although I checked the small print and the guarantee doesn't include an exact definition of the term 'soon', oops!) :)

(edit: ps I wasn't intending to direct all that at you Ryan, just using your quote about feelings. Feelings are so central to our lives as fans and in my opinion you are definitely one of the most open here about expressing feelings)

Last edited:
Good point mate. I mean if you look at it position for position, it's not that bad, but again, we probably need exponential improvement (not little improvement) to compete, and again, no idea where that's coming from :

2022 - 2023
1. Tom Trbojevic - 1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Jason Saab - 2. Jason Saab
3. Morgan Harper - 3. Tolu Koula
4. Brad Parker - 4. Christian Tuipulotu
5. Reuben Garrick - 5. Reuben Garrick
6. Kieran Foran - 6. Josh Schuster
7. DCE - 7. DCE
8. Marty Taupau - 8. Josh Aloiai
9. Lachlan Croker - 9. Lachlan Croker
10. Taniela Paseka - 10. Taniela Paseka
11. H. Olakau'atu - 11. H. Olakau'atu
12. Josh Schuster - 12. Kelma Tuilagi
13. Jake Trbojevic - 13. Jake Trbojevic

14. Dylan Walker - 14. Karl Lawton
15. Sean Keppie - 15. Sean Keppie
16. Tof Sipley - 16. Tof Sipley
17. Andrew Davey - 17. Ben Trbojevic

Is that enough difference and improvement to get and move us from a middle to lower tier sub .500 team, to competing with the Panthers & Storm ?

I'm just not sure. Hey, maybe Tuitavake, Bullemor, Sykes, Roumanos, KDL, Fulton, Fifita, Weekes, Humphreys and Parker (our current depth players) will get us there, I'm just not feeling it - and I'm hoping someone can MAKE me feel it, with reasons why I'm wrong.

There is no way that 2023 side can win a comp. Replace the entire bench, which is where we are failing this year.

Also need a new "matchwinner" but we dont have the money!

We have a pretty handy FB as well, who is a proven match winner, as long as he can stay on the park.
Sadly, I think we have to assume he's not going to stay on the park and plan accordingly. Reuben is proving a handy backup but we're going to need a little more firepower from somewhere. Any contributions we get from Tommy should be considered a bonus.

Next season worries me. We've already promoted our best rookies (Olakau'atu, Koula, Schuster), and we are a 10th-14th placed team who hasn't beaten one top 8 team this year, or a top 4 team in 2.5 years.

OUTS: Walker (definitely), Foran (definitely), Davey (definitely), S. Fainu (definitely), Taupau (probably), Boyle (probably), Taufua (probably), M. Fainu (possibly)

INS: Tuilagi (definitely)

None of our coaching or fitness staff are turning over. We'll be relying on our reserve graders (last placed and can't win a game) to step up.

I just can't see where the improvement or actual quality depth is coming from?

Our best performances this year we're without Turbo and DCE in the team. And the players we are losing were probably the standouts in those.

We are in serious trouble. Just my opinion. Happy to be shown / proven otherwise with real strategic facts, rather than "hope", or "stop being negative", because they don't instill confidence.
The lack of signings is very underwhelming we need more forward grunt. Tuilagi does not goo looking for the ball. Major Zach Fulton kicks on ??

yes agreed and I don't buy this nonsense of well who would have a dig at the Tigers because they are such a mess... if you lay down the tools and don't want to work hard and give your best effort every week no matter where you are... then what is to say in tough games here he wont also lay down the tools and not give the effort? Way way too many questions for me.
He lazy and does not look for ball. From what I seen we he receives ball he goes okay but simply not enough of it

Next season worries me. We've already promoted our best rookies (Olakau'atu, Koula, Schuster), and we are a 10th-14th placed team who hasn't beaten one top 8 team this year, or a top 4 team in 2.5 years.

OUTS: Walker (definitely), Foran (definitely), Davey (definitely), S. Fainu (definitely), Taupau (probably), Boyle (probably), Taufua (probably), M. Fainu (possibly)

INS: Tuilagi (definitely)

None of our coaching or fitness staff are turning over. We'll be relying on our reserve graders (last placed and can't win a game) to step up.

I just can't see where the improvement or actual quality depth is coming from?

Our best performances this year we're without Turbo and DCE in the team. And the players we are losing were probably the standouts in those.

We are in serious trouble. Just my opinion. Happy to be shown / proven otherwise with real strategic facts, rather than "hope", or "stop being negative", because they don't instill confidence.
So also club sniffed around Luke Garner for 2 off seasons. Then sign this bloke we have missed mark on Luke at riff he could be anything

The Cowboys turned things around with the same squad. All they added was Townsend and he is not setting the world on fire, he’s just steady.

We can compete next year with Turbo back, providing Des gets everyone up for it! Penrith went from missing the 8 to a premiership runner up in the space of a season, with the same roster.

RL issues are not born and solved with recruitment alone. Lots of factors go into performance. Too many variables to even mention. Eels get hammered by Dogs but beat Penrith at Penrith, with same players. Personnel is just one part of it.

If I see someone post a thread suggesting Manly should sign Tyrone Peachey after he was given permission to seek employment elsewhere,I think I’ll either block those that say it’s a good idea or call it a day from ST
Pink Celebrate GIF by Shannon B Design
Agents Of Shield Marvel GIF by ABC Network

If I see someone post a thread suggesting Manly should sign Tyrone Peachey after he was given permission to seek employment elsewhere,I think I’ll either block those that say it’s a good idea or call it a day from ST
Rest easy, It won’t happen regardless of what anyone suggests here anyway. He will only leave the Tigers if another club is willing to pay him what he wants and that’s a figure that Manly can’t afford.

He is exactly what we DON’T need as well...a talented individual with no drive, poor work ethic and lack of team focus.

Rest easy, It won’t happen regardless of what anyone suggests here anyway. He will only leave the Tigers if another club is willing to pay him what he wants and that’s a figure that Manly can’t afford.

He is exactly what we DON’T need as well...a talented individual with no drive, poor work ethic and lack of team focus.
I have no doubt Manly won’t sign him,he’s not a Des type player.But it doesn’t stop people on ST speculating or wanting to sign someone and I’m hoping to lift the intelligence level on here

The Cowboys turned things around with the same squad. All they added was Townsend and he is not setting the world on fire, he’s just steady.

We can compete next year with Turbo back, providing Des gets everyone up for it! Penrith went from missing the 8 to a premiership runner up in the space of a season, with the same roster.

RL issues are not born and solved with recruitment alone. Lots of factors go into performance. Too many variables to even mention. Eels get hammered by Dogs but beat Penrith at Penrith, with same players. Personnel is just one part of it.
Agree we don't need much. But Townsend steady, whilst not offering much in attack, its that steady, calm composed game managing conductor, there for the kick and on field talk we lack and will lack even more minus Foz.

I've spent a decade of life hoping DCE becomes that more balanced half with field position, percentage play, coordinator, kicker but it's just not his first choice. Hes too run myself and attack at all cost, and not setting up the plays at 7.

If it's not DCE its really all on Croker to be an even bigger influence in this team, which to be fair he seems to be consistently take steps towards. But he'd have to keep up that trajectory.

Humphrys seems that game manager, but is he ready control this team in his first year. May be.

Agree we don't need much. But Townsend steady, whilst not offering much in attack, its that steady, calm composed game managing conductor, there for the kick and on field talk we lack and will lack even more minus Foz.

I've spent a decade of life hoping DCE becomes that more balanced half with field position, percentage play, coordinator, kicker but it's just not his first choice. Hes too run myself and attack at all cost, and not setting up the plays at 7.

If it's not DCE its really all on Croker to be an even bigger influence in this team, which to be fair he seems to be consistently take steps towards. But he'd have to keep up that trajectory.

Humphrys seems that game manager, but is he ready control this team in his first year. May be.
Whilst I agree that Townsend is a steady, calm and composed type, I still have DCE ahead of him, in terms of worth. Put it this way, if Townsend was at Manly in 2022, instead of DCE, I don't think we're any better off. I see the same issues with DCE that you mention, but his upside is so far ahead of anything Townsend does/can do, that we are better side for having him. Reynolds on the other hand, now there is a guy that could elevate Manly and make those around him better.

I put the Cowboys recent success down to good coaching, more than Townsend's influence. They've got strike players in Drinkwater, Holmes, the Hammer and co. It's been the defensive turnaround and energy from their forwards that has really elevated their position.

Fair points but don't forget, all our champion sides have had attacking halves, not Chad Townsend types. People talk about clubs having a style or identity, well Manly's style has always been playing attractive attacking rugby league. Not so famous for dour defense, nor the crushing forward power game, nor the robotic error-free style. We aren't the only ones of course, Broncos have also played a similar style but Manly's been doing it for far longer.

But yes we need better smarts and game awareness, and also to play our traditional style we need more guns, but not many more, I think we are pretty close. Get Turbo back and increase our dummy half threat for example. We scored 5 tries v Cows, who were supposed to be the best defensive team.

If Turbo stays fit next year we are a top 4 team - it is not only what he brings but the freedom he brings to other players.

I am also interested in Weekes as a bench player next year and see some upside in some of the kids coming through.

The question for me is can we compete with the panthers and how will the storm regenerate after losing most of their forward pack

2023 with the addition of the Dolphins, NZ being back hom and coach movements has the potential to be the most open comp in years...

If Turbo stays fit next year we are a top 4 team - it is not only what he brings but the freedom he brings to other players.
Not so convinced.
Turbo wasn't running so hot at start of this year before injury.
And team tactics seemed to be "give it to Turbo" instead of creating freedom for other players.
We are more forced to rely on other players creating when Turbo is not there.

Not so convinced.
Turbo wasn't running so hot at start of this year before injury.
And team tactics seemed to be "give it to Turbo" instead of creating freedom for other players.
We are more forced to rely on other players creating when Turbo is not there.
We also had no Shu - which means you can focus on shutting him and DCE down
Fully fit there are a number of weapons in attack across the park

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4