Kapow Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Too right we should....look at the GF.....made up of many State of Origin representatives & then theres teams like Roosters with 100 3rd party deals going on & perhaps a 4th & 5th.
How many of our players are recognised as representative standard today...apart from DCE , not many, if theres an advantage - take it 100% but no more than that.....

The only player in our 2015 starting 17 that played any State of Origin was DCE. Add Hiku and Foran who played for NZ and Taufua who played for Tonga and that is all of our rep players. Which is more that some teams can boast but when you compare it to past years it is pathetic.

I remember back from 2007-2013 when half of our team would be missing due to State of Origin or International tests. Those were the days.

Farah is zero chance to join the Knights. Didn't they just sign Mick Potter to the coaching staff?

I heard something about how the Potter and Farah thing was hugely blown out of proportion by Gorden Tallis. And even Queenslanders like me hate Tallis so I wouldn't be too surprised if that is true and he did fabricate a lot of that stuff.

The only player in our 2015 starting 17 that played any State of Origin was DCE. Add Hiku and Foran who played for NZ and Taufua who played for Tonga and that is all of our rep players. Which is more that some teams can boast but when you compare it to past years it is pathetic.

I remember back from 2007-2013 when half of our team would be missing due to State of Origin or International tests. Those were the days.
Especially when you have average NRL & even NSW cup players representing Tonga & Hiku though reasonable, is far from the Ridge, Innes standard NZ stars of the past.
And in all honesty - DCE only got the gig due to injury also...

Must admit to some mixed feelings about these stories.

I want Manly to win the comp. But buying up big names makes me feel a tad uneasy. Maybe it’s due to psychological scarring from the dim past when we had wall-to wall stars but failed to take the biggest prize – such as 1995 or the early 80s.

I really enjoyed our most recent era which was a gradual build-up that really felt like ‘Manly’ and in hindsight was a little different in character to our previous great eras.

Not really complaining though - bring on Bird and Marty, and watch us go!

Even with our build up from about 2005, we had to invest in a few players of quality such as Lyon, Kennedy, Orford, Bell, Kite etc. Certainly in later years we didnt grab much but by them we were seeing the makings of a top side develop. Sometimes you have to dip into the kitty and snare a biggie or two to complement those potential stars coming through. If they get these guys I suspect the recruitment purge will probably end for a few years.

Can someone explain to me how the payment issue when teams discard a player on contract and he goes to another club works. Is there a formula regarding what the original team pays and if so with Manly discarding so many contracted players, how much are we paying for no product next year from the salary cap.

Can someone explain to me how the payment issue when teams discard a player on contract and he goes to another club works. Is there a formula regarding what the original team pays and if so with Manly discarding so many contracted players, how much are we paying for no product next year from the salary cap.
I believe there is no formula, it is negotiated by the two clubs.

We have been missing a strike forward for a while now, the role that Choc used to play.

Kapow is the missing link.

If we can snag Bird, even for 2017 and beyond , plus keep Liam Knight, the Turbo's plus the others we have I can see another stint at glory in the near future rather than off in the distance.

I think this year must have shaken up the owners as much as it did us.

I haven't liked what they have done, and how they have done it but you can see the light at the end of the tunnel now.

Yes, the longer this goes on the better the new management are looking. I often wondered why Trent Barrett would agree to come with our 2015 roster. What was in it for him, considering he was an outsider and all? If these new signing are to be believed, things are looking great! Maybe Penn isn't a Manchurian candidate, designed to kill the club...

I think it depends on whether the player leaves money on the table. Say Tapau is on 400 and we offer him 5 then his old club pays nothing but if it's the other way around, ie they dump him and his new deal has him out of pocket 100k then they'd have to tip that in in order to get a contracted player to leave and that 100k counts against the Tigers cap with the rest against ours. That's what's happening with Mateo now with the Warriors paying some.

Thanks Pjayz and Loobs. So its probable that Manly may not be out of pocket for the players they had under contract but let go to other clubs for better deals.

Especially when you have average NRL & even NSW cup players representing Tonga & Hiku though reasonable, is far from the Ridge, Innes standard NZ stars of the past....
Funny that NZ now routinely beat Australia, don't recall that happening back in Ridgey's day

Even with our build up from about 2005, we had to invest in a few players of quality such as Lyon, Kennedy, Orford, Bell, Kite etc.
True, but we got them in ones and twos over a few years.
If we get a current Aussie Test forward, current Kiwi Test forward, plus the NRL rookie of the year all in one hit...would feel a bit like the Brown/Boyd/Dorahy days.
Not that I'd complain of course, it would be fantastic.

I think basically when we discard a player still on contract, to another club, then under the salary cap we are still liable for whatever difference the other club pays him and his original contract with us. So for argument's sake if Matt Ballin is on a contract of $250,000 per season with us and the Tigers are willing to take him on for only $200,000, then we have to make up the difference and that would be included in our salary cap for the duration of his contract, that's how I think it works.

The reason we were paying Choc to play at Parramatta this season (about a few hundred k I believe) was because he was on a back ended contract.
Let's say he was on a 4 year, $3 million deal which is back ended, so he gets 500k in each of the first two seasons and $1 million for the last two. If he leaves before that final year Manly would need to pay enough to equal out the average. So his contract over the 4 years averages out to 750k a year, he leaves before his final season Manly would need to pay 250k so he's not left short changed because of the first two seasons of his contract he took unders.
With lesser earning players like JSL it shouldn't really affect us, he wouldn't have been on a lot and might not have had a back ended contract.
This is my understanding as to why clubs continue to pay some players once they leave, because most nrl contracts are back ended. At least, this is my understanding of it, I'm pretty sure I read about it earlier in the season. This might not be for all cases, either.

Funny that NZ now routinely beat Australia, don't recall that happening back in Ridgey's day

That makes sense....Hiku is the reason behind the NZ dominance...silly me
That's about as much sense as Wally Lewis & Hindmarsh not as good as Kyle Feldt because he won a GF.....

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7