Kapow Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Can someone explain to me how the payment issue when teams discard a player on contract and he goes to another club works. Is there a formula regarding what the original team pays and if so with Manly discarding so many contracted players, how much are we paying for no product next year from the salary cap.
Contrary to popular belief, players cannot be "released" from contracts, this is a colloquialism. Contracts have to be novated and it's in the novation process that the payment of the difference arises. Novation-

The substitution of a new contract for an old one. The new agreement extinguishes the rights andobligations that were in effect under the old agreement.

A novation ordinarily arises when a new individual assumes an obligation to pay that was incurred bythe original party to the contract. It is distinguishable from the situation that occurs when anotherindividual makes a guarantee that a debtor will pay what he or she owes to a creditor. In the case of anovation, the original debtor is totally released from the obligation, which is transferred to someoneelse. The nature of the transaction is dependent upon the agreement between the parties.

A novation also takes place when the original parties continue their obligation to one another, but anew agreement is substituted for the old one.

• 📚
Reactions: Rex
Contrary to popular belief, players cannot be "released" from contracts, this is a colloquialism. Contracts have to be novated and it's in the novation process that the payment of the difference arises. Novation-

The substitution of a new contract for an old one. The new agreement extinguishes the rights andobligations that were in effect under the old agreement.

A novation ordinarily arises when a new individual assumes an obligation to pay that was incurred bythe original party to the contract. It is distinguishable from the situation that occurs when anotherindividual makes a guarantee that a debtor will pay what he or she owes to a creditor. In the case of anovation, the original debtor is totally released from the obligation, which is transferred to someoneelse. The nature of the transaction is dependent upon the agreement between the parties.

A novation also takes place when the original parties continue their obligation to one another, but anew agreement is substituted for the old one.
You giving a crash course in swaps..?

Thanks Peter C., NewwyEagle and Flying SeaEagle. You've given me a good grasp of the situation regarding contracts. Appreciate your service.

This is from an interview Dean Ritchie had with new Tigers CEO Justin Pascoe today. To me the language sounds a lot like that used just before Choc left.

Martin Taupau
The crowd favourite has reportedly signed with Manly for 2017 but is seeking a release to join the Sea Eagles for next season.

“He is a contracted player for 2016, at this stage,” Pascoe said. “That position hasn’t changed as of this conversation right now.”

At this stage?

“Marty Taupau is a contracted player and we would love him to be part of the organisation for 2016,” he said.

Has Taupau asked for a release, Pascoe said: “Not to me, no.”

From that I think he'll be here in 2016.

A lot of open ended answers. Smells just like Cherry to me.
Looks like we are in box seat as tigers can't match our offer either.

Reportedly signed for $700k per season, if true no wonder he want's out immediately.

The Lurker: Terrible Tiger on the way out?

Time ticking for Taupau

Marty Taupau’s Wests Tigers career isn’t over yet - but is likely to be decided over the next 72 hours.
Taupau’s fate is set to be sealed by Tigers coach Jason Taylor and new chief executive Justin Pascoe in coming days.
The aggressive forward is under contract to the Tigers for next season and the club can play hardball and attempt to keep him.
Manly are believed to have already locked up Taupau for the 2017 season - so the only question is when he will end up at Brookvale.
Taupau wants to quit the Tigers NOW and take up a massive $700,000 deal at Manly - money the Tigers cannot match.
The club now has to decide whether to keep a player who doesn’t want to stay… or cut him loose.
Coming on top of the Robbie Farah drama, it’s the last thing the Tigers need at the moment, with fans losing faith in the club

Last edited:
I hope he comes for '16. If he's not coming 'til 17 I can't get excited just yet as we have a 2016 Premiership to win with our current team and new coach.
This time next year I'll start planning for our 10th Premiership in '17.
Love the nickname Kapow. Reminds me of the old black and white Batman and Robin series where every terribly choreographed punch was celebrated with a 'Kapow!, Bam! or Thwack!'
I'm Gen X so those of us this age or above will remember. Gen Y's and below would have a great laugh if they could watch some of that old stuff.
Manly for 2016!

I hope he comes for '16. If he's not coming 'til 17 I can't get excited just yet as we have a 2016 Premiership to win with our current team and new coach.
This time next year I'll start planning for our 10th Premiership in '17.
Love the nickname Kapow. Reminds me of the old black and white Batman and Robin series where every terribly choreographed punch was celebrated with a 'Kapow!, Bam! or Thwack!'
I'm Gen X so those of us this age or above will remember. Gen Y's and below would have a great laugh if they could watch some of that old stuff.
Manly for 2016!
The shark repellent spray.

Every time there has been "smoke" surrounding one our players, there has always ended up being "fire".

Choc, Foreign, Gift.

Let's hope the same is true here and that we end up signing Kapow.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8