JDB Federal Court Challenge

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
“The court found the respondents had established a clear and present danger to their legitimate interests given among other things,” Justice Perry said.

What a fanciful and ridiculous thing to say! Sounds like she plucked the ruling out of her favourite movie >:)

MV5BNDczOWNiMmEtZjA4MS00NDMzLWExNTktYjc0MGU0YTQ3ZDExXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU0OTQ0OTY@._V1_.jpg

“The court found the respondents had established a clear and present danger to their legitimate interests given among other things,” Justice Perry said.

What a fanciful and ridiculous thing to say! Sounds like she plucked the ruling out of her favourite movie >:)

View attachment 11452
No, it is an established legal term that the movie appropriated as it's recognized by their market :nerd:

If he’s guilty he’s getting what he deserves if not this is a

View attachment 11452
the games is in clear and present danger due to the people running it.

Under the NRL rules, Brett Stewart wo
Twitter

Conservative estimate - de Belin is out of pocket more than $300,000 and counting. NRL and commission legal costs upwards of 250K, his own fees another 100K. It has been an expensive exercise.

From the beginning of this I have wondered why JDB personally had to take this to court. I would have thought the RLPA would have taken up the court case on behalf of all NRL players along with the cost.

Will the NRL force JDB to pay their court costs?.
Or will they at least wait until the court case is over to either enforce JDB to pay if guilty or absorb the costs if not.

If JDB is found not guilty, there will be a mighty damages case against the NRL stemming from the NRL's retrospective no fault policy.

I guess I can only end up stating two issues in conclusion regarding this issue.

Firstly its easy to demonise people from afar when we read material, often designed to titillate and entertain the bread and circuses masses. Its easy for example to be horrified by the Lindt Coffee shop issue or even the 7:11 tragedy because they are much closer to home. But I wonder as to how many of us know or re as concerned that between 150,000 to 460,000 Iraqis died in the attacks in 2003. And then we complain if they want to get out and come and live here. I wonder how many of us feel the same about the million or more losing their lives in the Rwanda tragedy. The closer to home it gets the more it feels personal and the more we come to see the consequences and identify with what's happening...empathy.

De Belin is just such a case. He is a distant footballer, not known to us, being assumed guilty (and lets not pretend that he isn't being seen that way) and a thug who deserves what he gets. Its easy from a distance to pass judgement, to demonise. Sue identifies the Stewart matter as an unfortunate aberration. Well there are a lot of aberrations occurring that I have seen in my life. What happened to Stewart is not unusual if you look closely at cases and even those where people are convicted. Its often not the clear cut nasty sexual violent or financial predator. I have dealt with in my career nearly 10,000 offenders and written close to 8,000 court and parole reports. The vast majority of those people are normal people like you and me, who act in a dysfunctional manner in some aspect of their lives. Not evil, just poor judgement. There were perhaps of that number about 5% who I would consider truly bad.

But getting back to when things become more personal, we look at things in a far more intense manner, when we know more about the elements involved. We may be emotionally biased, but we know more than those outside.

So the question is if you were someone like De Belin and you knew you were innocent (not saying he is, its just an example), how would you feel about the NRL and the court decision. You know this potentially could stall your career seriously. No new contracts, no sponsor deals, no enhancing and increasing your income through rep play, the potential that your team may offload you remembering his contract ends in 2020. Hard enough that you face a serious court matter costing a fortune and receiving the ridicule of supporters and the general public.

The court case is alone costing you a fortune paying solicitors exorbitant charges. You're being paid, but you cant play the game you have worked so hard throughout your life to reach a standard to be near top tier. And remember De Belin seems to have no prior criminal convictions. You're a young football star on the rise. The World is at your feet. Groupies are flocking and the temptations especially after a few drinks is strong especially if your mates do it (and what sport or person in a high profile position doesn't have this situation). Sure you've got a wife at home, but the temptations are great especially for an inexperienced 24 year old. I have also done things at that age I regret, some deeply.

I wonder how many of you have dark skeletons in your past, both men and women. In this scenario suddenly you are accused by someone out for financial gain (and this happens also a great deal) and bingo the NRL and the court ban you. How would you feel? And in this scenario I am assuming innocence. If De Belin is guilty, throw the book at him. But this is the problem about prejudging. If he's innocent, his career has been severely damaged, his finances wiped out, his self confidence shot, treated like a pariah. This is what happened to Brett Stewart.

The second issue is that when business profits and image take precedence over an individual's aspirations, career and income, its a pretty sad world. Corporate images and profits can always be recovered. An individual's lost opportunities often cant be.

That's all I'll say on the matter

Under the NRL rules, Brett Stewart wo

From the beginning of this I have wondered why JDB personally had to take this to court. I would have thought the RLPA would have taken up the court case on behalf of all NRL players along with the cost.

Will the NRL force JDB to pay their court costs?.
Or will they at least wait until the court case is over to either enforce JDB to pay if guilty or absorb the costs if not.

If JDB is found not guilty, there will be a mighty damages case against the NRL stemming from the NRL's retrospective no fault policy.

The NRL's legal firm will submit an invoice directly to JDB's firm as per the court ruling.
JDB will just get a huge itemized bill that he will have to pay or be sued by his own legal team :cool:

The RLPA could have become party to this JDB case along with the Dragons, both declined @:cool:

The NRL itself did not issue a claim on JDB for damages therefore they effectively received a free and independent ruling on their new policy.

Huge win for NRL and every other Sporting Code who will now be able to use this case as a precedent ie Folau v ARU :wait:

There can be no damages claim by JDB at the conclusion of his criminal trial as a court has just ruled the NRL policy to be fair. :nod:

#SuchIsLife

OK. So the NRL can stand down a player facing court changes carrying penalties of 11-years or more jail. That can be adjudged without any argument (although why 11 years and not 10 years?)
But Walker's case did not carrying anything like such a serious consequence. He was roped in to the stand-down rule on the whim of Shoddy Greenturd. Ditto Tyrone May.
When you allow an administrator such power over the career of a player then it is not right.
Such draconian rules should be in black-and-white, not on a case-by-case basis or else it invites favouritism.

OK. So the NRL can stand down a player facing court changes carrying penalties of 11-years or more jail. That can be adjudged without any argument (although why 11 years and not 10 years?)
But Walker's case did not carrying anything like such a serious consequence. He was roped in to the stand-down rule on the whim of Shoddy Greenturd. Ditto Tyrone May.
When you allow an administrator such power over the career of a player then it is not right.
Such draconian rules should be in black-and-white, not on a case-by-case basis or else it invites favouritism.
NRL set the rules,
players sign contract that they abide by all current and future rules,
court just rubber stamped this NRL policy

NRL set the rules,
But haven't they just set a rule that you are stood-down if the charge carries a jail term of 11-years or more?
What is the rule "set down" for Walker and May? Their charges were not as serious.
My question is: is the stand-down rule now.... as deemed by Shoddy?
Will they stand down a player who is charged with common assault (as was Che Cam). He pleaded guilty yet received just a two match suspension.
What about drink driving, fraud, theft...?
Are players to be judged by the perception that a charged player is a bad look for RL in general?

But haven't they just set a rule that you are stood-down if the charge carries a jail term of 11-years or more?
What is the rule "set down" for Walker and May? Their charges were not as serious.
Will they stand down a player who is charged with common assault (as was Che Cam). He pleaded guilty yet received just a two match suspension.
Are players to be judged by the perception that a charged player is a bad look for RL in general?
Don't drive yourself crazy as there is no rational in this apart from it's their rules and the players are subject to them @:cool:

As I understand it, Beattie gave Greenburg the power to apply the no fault stand down rule for offences attracting a lesser sentence than 11 years at his discretion.

So pretty much like every rule imposed by the NRL, there is enough wiggle room for corrupt officials (i.e Greenburg) to show favouritism without having to explain themselves.

As I understand it, Beattie gave Greenburg the power to apply the no fault stand down rule for offences attracting a lesser sentence than 11 years at his discretion.

So pretty much like every rule imposed by the NRL, there is enough wiggle room for corrupt officials (i.e Greenburg) to show favouritism without having to explain themselves.
Therefore it should be renamed from the No-Fault Rule to the No-Idea Rule.

Therefore it should be renamed from the No-Fault Rule to the No-Idea Rule.

Do you know I was looking at Greenburg's wikipedia page the other day & I'm sure it said he had earned a business degree (or the likes) at 'The College of Knowledge" lol.

It may very well be a reputable educational institute but it sounds like a total wank to me.

EDIT: i just double checked - it was a sports science degree

Yes Greenberg has carte blanche to do as he pleases on regards to this new rule.

Some players may get suspended, some may get character references. It's like a mystery pick in lotto !!
And it's not like it's unimportant. A player, such as de Belin, could have their career ended by one person's decision which, following testing in a court of law, proves to have been wrong.
But just as long as the girlfriends of Shoddy's daughters are still watching the sport. That's what's important!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/f5a543d5c03da989776e45a8b4a7214a

St George Illawarra have been awarded special dispensation from the NRL to help cover the absence of stood-down State of Origin star Jack de Belin.

The league on Tuesday said the Dragons would be able to outlay $239,000 on signing a replacement forward for de Belin, who is unable to play until a sexual assault case against him is finalised in court.

An NRL spokesman said the amount was the “exact proportion” of de Belin’s salary for the remainder of the 2019 season.

The Dragons had hoped de Belin would be available to play following his Federal Court case against the ARLC’s ‘no fault’ stand down policy, but that went up in smoke when the court ruled against him.

The club has 28 contracted players and will need to fill two spots before June 30.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/f5a543d5c03da989776e45a8b4a7214a

St George Illawarra have been awarded special dispensation from the NRL to help cover the absence of stood-down State of Origin star Jack de Belin.

The league on Tuesday said the Dragons would be able to outlay $239,000 on signing a replacement forward for de Belin, who is unable to play until a sexual assault case against him is finalised in court.

An NRL spokesman said the amount was the “exact proportion” of de Belin’s salary for the remainder of the 2019 season.

The Dragons had hoped de Belin would be available to play following his Federal Court case against the ARLC’s ‘no fault’ stand down policy, but that went up in smoke when the court ruled against him.

The club has 28 contracted players and will need to fill two spots before June 30.
So, does the NRL give Illawarra an extra $239,000 in actual cash, or do they just allow Illawarra to exceed the salary cap by this amount?
In other words, does Illawarra have to pay this salary from their own pocket, bearing in mind that they are also paying de Bellin's salary?

So, does the NRL give Illawarra an extra $239,000 in actual cash, or do they just allow Illawarra to exceed the salary cap by this amount?
In other words, does Illawarra have to pay this salary from their own pocket, bearing in mind that they are also paying de Bellin's salary?
The NRL said "the Dragons would be able to outlay $239,000" sounds to me like they can exceed their cap by this amount out of their own pocket.

Daresay Trent Merrin's expecting a call from them...

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6