JDB Federal Court Challenge

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Well, we know what Nein will be talking about in tonight's pre and post game bits.

The Chooks vs Drongos will be incidental to this issue.
Nope... they will mention it, but only briefly.

They’ll be hoping this sort of disappears into as much obscurity as possible, and focus on how amazing the under strength Broncos were in beating the near full strength Manly Heretics last week and the monumental task they face against a vastly under strength Rorters team..

I want to know why Alan Joyce is not being held to account for wielding the considerable influence of one of Australia's largest companies in favour of his political and religious views.

Has he though?

I mean, Izzy's quoted part of the bible which is his right to do under freedom of speech.

Many people (not just Joyce) found it offensive (I couldn't care less, I live by the maxim "live & let live").

While Izzy has the right to exercise his freedom of speech, the social media platform/s he does it on have their own rules of conduct.

Izzy's employer (Rugby Australia) also have a code of conduct their employees must follow (all of us on this site no doubt have the same expectations of us from our employers).

Granted, RA have no doubt bowed to pressure from QANTAS (being RA's biggest sponsor) in this situation, but they've also been pressured by mainstream society.

While I agree there are a lot of people in mainstream society who look for reasons to be offended & jump on the bandwagon, in this case I think there is a legitimate concern for the effect Izzy's quote can have (see Ian Roberts' words on this matter, about young people struggling with their sexuality).

At the end of the day all Izzy had to do was think about the effect his quote might have & if it broke his employer's code of conduct & not post it, or edit it accordingly.

That's what I meant about him being a dickhead - if he didnt know the effect his quote would have then he's extremely naive. If he did know the effect it would have then he's done it deliberately & has now suffered the consequences of exercising his right to free speech.

Who cares if his career is damaged, no difference to all those people who are refused bail and awaiting their cases while in custody. Ever thought maybe he shouldn't even been given bail??? After all the charges are very serious, nothing like Walker or Scott Bolton etc.

These players have to wake up and be aware they are no better than anyone else. I'd imagine in the eyes of judges and magistrates they are nothing more than spoiled privileged numb-skulls.

Its not hard.

Behave + stay away from trouble = No problems.

Really its ts a good result for the game going forward, although its hard to cop the smugness of Greenblurt.

Beattie was already gloating last Sunday on MMM about how the rule didn't influence Walker's case as he was found not guilty 2 days prior.

I'll bet the NRL used that as proof their "no fault" rule would play no part in influencing upcoming court cases against JDB.

The law is not the victim.As I said from the beginning this was not a monumental decision.It was always going to be a garden variety court case based on the particular facts of this case.The fact that he is presumed innocent till found guilty of a criminal charge is just one of a myriad of facts the court considers in deciding whether his employer has a right to stand down an employee and this is backed up by Judge Perry’s verdict.

We see this every day in cases of impropriate sexual complaints against senior executives.Thry get stood down !They have a right to be presumed innocent in a criminal trial ; that right has never extended to protecting them from an employer taking disciplinary action against them and NEVER WILL.God help us if you need to be actually convicted of a criminal offence to face disciplinary action from an employer.Just because these guys play rugby league doesn’t mean they are any different to any other employee.

Not sure how many times people need to hear it but you don’t have to commit a criminal act to be stood down or reprimanded at the office.It happens every day and a lot of times, unlike De Bellin , without pay.He has as much chance of taking this to the Supreme Court as I have of playing halfback this weekend. His wallet will decide that .In any case unless things have changed the Federal Court is not a state court so the Supreme Court has nothing to do with it and any appeal would be to the full bench of the Federal Court and after that to The High Court with special leave to appeal. Good luck with all that. . I don’t agree with the rule one bit but it was always a good chance of being upheld, especially with the onus of proof on De Bellin.

But the bad side to this of course is our little friend Turd and Beatoff having a little win.

Sue unfortunately I don t think you appreciate the full consequences of this decision. You are seeing things in moral terms. Morals are arbitrary. They change with time and everyone has a different interpretation of moral behaviour. I'm not suggesting that the charge is not serious, but you are looking at this as an individual case when it is a far broader issue.

This is about Law, which we are all bound by and when a judge makes a decision in Law, that is in variance with existing understandings, they are setting precedence. This has nothing at all to do with De Bellin and Walker. This has to do with an individuals fundamental right to presumption of innocence. By taking the stance this judge has taken she is making an assumption which our society has fought against for generations and that being that they are being presumed guilty until proven innocent. If you cant see that you aren't looking closely enough at what this means. It not only means someone in football can be suspended on any accusation made against them, but the same applies to any employer who decides that someone charged with an offence can be suspended.

I am not an expert in law, but I respect its necessity in society. Change a legal interpretation and it flows down the line to a whole range of issues. I'm tired of talking of the Stewart case. Its self explanatory but what if in 2020 when De Bellin finally has his day in court he is found not guilty. Surely there is a serious case for suing.

I suggest you forget De Bellin and think of what this judge has done to us all. She has empowered anyone in a position of authority as an employer or any field where the person is working, to have the arbitrary right to suspend them pending trial. That is saying they are presumed Guilty, otherwise why are they suspending them. You don't suspend an innocent person. But I would love one of the legal eagles we have to give a clearer explanation.

This is about Law, not morals

Nope... they will mention it, but only briefly.

They’ll be hoping this sort of disappears into as much obscurity as possible, and focus on how amazing the under strength Broncos were in beating the near full strength Manly Heretics last week and the monumental task they face against a vastly under strength Rorters team..

Yeah you're probably right. And watching it on Nein right now they haven't even mentioned it yet.

Sue unfortunately I don t think you appreciate the full consequences of this decision. You are seeing things in moral terms. Morals are arbitrary. They change with time and everyone has a different interpretation of moral behaviour. I'm not suggesting that the charge is not serious, but you are looking at this as an individual case when it is a far broader issue.

This is about Law, which we are all bound by and when a judge makes a decision in Law, that is in variance with existing understandings, they are setting precedence. This has nothing at all to do with De Bellin and Walker. This has to do with an individuals fundamental right to presumption of innocence. By taking the stance this judge has taken she is making an assumption which our society has fought against for generations and that being that they are being presumed guilty until proven innocent. If you cant see that you aren't looking closely enough at what this means. It not only means someone in football can be suspended on any accusation made against them, but the same applies to any employer who decides that someone charged with an offence can be suspended.

I am not an expert in law, but I respect its necessity in society. Change a legal interpretation and it flows down the line to a whole range of issues. I'm tired of talking of the Stewart case. Its self explanatory but what if in 2020 when De Bellin finally has his day in court he is found not guilty. Surely there is a serious case for suing.

I suggest you forget De Bellin and think of what this judge has done to us all. She has empowered anyone in a position of authority as an employer or any field where the person is working, to have the arbitrary right to suspend them pending trial. That is saying they are presumed Guilty, otherwise why are they suspending them. You don't suspend an innocent person. But I would love one of the legal eagles we have to give a clearer explanation.

This happens weekly and people are asked to resign so they do not get their contract monies or salaries/long service leave etc.

I've contracted in a couple dozen corporation and government departments.

In most, there was water cooler talk about people who resigned due to alleged sexual or financial indiscretions :nod:

One of my favourite managers disappeared over one weekend. His actions were a surprise to me and nothing as serious as JDB's :(

Then another was walked out by ICAC whilst we were hacking away at the Y2K remediation :tmi:

But very few were reported on the 6pm news unlike sportsmen.@:cool:

Fk Greenburg and his bullsht policy of determining "guilt" before the courts have had their say.
Regardless of the result today, it doesn't pass the pub test, for me anyway.

This happens weekly and people are asked to resign so they do not get their contract monies or salaries/long service leave etc.

I've contracted in a couple dozen corporation and government departments.

In most, there was water cooler talk about people who resigned due to alleged sexual or financial indiscretions :nod:

One of my favourite managers disappeared over one weekend. His actions were a surprise to me and nothing as serious as JDB's :(

Then another was walked out by ICAC whilst we were hacking away at the Y2K remediation :tmi:

But very few were reported on the 6pm news unlike sportsmen.@:cool:

HappilyManly you are missing the point. I'm not suggesting it doesn't happen, I'm saying up until now it was contrary to the law to do so. Mate, this opens the door even further for arbitrary decisions by the empowered to dismiss for alleged offences. When this in the past (and I suggest you check legal examples of this) the courts have consistently opposed the employer's right to do so and ordered compensation. Just because it happens doesn't make it right. And yes I have also seen something of this happen when I was a union official in a Government job and two employees alleged of internal offences ended up being retired on psychological grounds brought about by almost two years of persecution. One fought the case and won and sued the department for $30,000. Trouble is those in authority have the backing of their company and the finances available and most people just cant afford to challenge. Just hope it doesn't happen to you HM, to be presumed guilty until you can prove otherwise. It was horrible to see the impact it had on those two guys, who were both innocent

HappilyManly you are missing the point. I'm not suggesting it doesn't happen, I'm saying up until now it was contrary to the law to do so. Mate, this opens the door even further for arbitrary decisions by the empowered to dismiss for alleged offences. When this in the past (and I suggest you check legal examples of this) the courts have consistently opposed the employer's right to do so and ordered compensation. Just because it happens doesn't make it right. And yes I have also seen something of this happen when I was a union official in a Government job and two employees alleged of internal offences ended up being retired on psychological grounds brought about by almost two years of persecution. One fought the case and won and sued the department for $30,000. Trouble is those in authority have the backing of their company and the finances available and most people just cant afford to challenge. Just hope it doesn't happen to you HM, to be presumed guilty until you can prove otherwise. It was horrible to see the impact it had on those two guys, who were both innocent
Agree that the ones that I knew could have won in a Court but they didn't have the monies to feed endless lawyers @:cool:

I never thought that JDB had a case as the NRL Code of Conduct he signed had the ability to be altered and still be deemed to be agreed to once a player signed.

Has he though?

I mean, Izzy's quoted part of the bible which is his right to do under freedom of speech.

Many people (not just Joyce) found it offensive (I couldn't care less, I live by the maxim "live & let live").

While Izzy has the right to exercise his freedom of speech, the social media platform/s he does it on have their own rules of conduct.

Izzy's employer (Rugby Australia) also have a code of conduct their employees must follow (all of us on this site no doubt have the same expectations of us from our employers).

Granted, RA have no doubt bowed to pressure from QANTAS (being RA's biggest sponsor) in this situation, but they've also been pressured by mainstream society.

While I agree there are a lot of people in mainstream society who look for reasons to be offended & jump on the bandwagon, in this case I think there is a legitimate concern for the effect Izzy's quote can have (see Ian Roberts' words on this matter, about young people struggling with their sexuality).

At the end of the day all Izzy had to do was think about the effect his quote might have & if it broke his employer's code of conduct & not post it, or edit it accordingly.

That's what I meant about him being a dickhead - if he didnt know the effect his quote would have then he's extremely naive. If he did know the effect it would have then he's done it deliberately & has now suffered the consequences of exercising his right to free speech.

All your points are very valid and you raise some very strong arguments on a very sensitive topic. What concern me is that we are attacking freedom of speech which in all honesty I don’t believe is inciting hatred.

I'm not a religious person, I am however agnostic. I to live by the code of live and let live but I will argue the fact that Folau has the right to religious freedom of speech just as long as it doesn’t incite hatred or helps to incite evil acts against another human.

He is passionate and at the same time blind to his faith and I am certain deep down in his heart his intentions are righteous.

It’s up to me as an individual and the rest of us if we want to listen to his message to which I choose to tune out.

I really feel the world is going way to PC and we are way to easily offended in today’s society :(

So basically, the judge has given Greenberg carte blanche to be judge, jury and executioner, going foward.

Mr Consistency is Over-rated gets to make captains calls on players lives, after taking advice from the local girls touch footy team, of course.

The guy couldn't lie straight in bed.

I’m hearing you @Bearfax . Further erosion of what little rights the common man has.

I’m a lawyer Bear. I used to practise criminal law and civil litigation so I am not confusing anything. I do understand the law and it was applied as I thought it might be, especially given the onus on the plaintiff.There will be no appeal because there was no mistake at law. The judge was simply applying well documented legal precedents to a particular set of facts.

I hope this clarifies it.She has empowered no one. This is how the law works. The answer to your questions for clarification is very simple.

The right of an employer to take action against an employee has never depended, and never will, on a conviction in a criminal trial. An employer can impose standards of behaviour that fall far short of criminal acts in order to protect their business and brand and can apply those standards as they see fit with the employee always maintaining a right to contest those actions if he or she feels aggrieved. In this case the court has decided the provision is legal on the facts at hand. Not sure how often it needs to be said but this happens every day in the workplace.How could a workplace operate if every piece of behaviour had to be met with a criminal conviction for sanctions to take place. It’s a ridiculous scenario.

You are simply confusing the rights of a defendant in a criminal trial with the rights of an employee under an employment contract. They are two separate things and always will be.

For those who think JDB has been massively slighted , think again.Why don’t we look at how the real world works in this situation.One thing I can tell you from experience is that if DeBellin was not a well known public figure with little flight risk there is a chance he may not even have got bail and I can guarantee the bail conditions would be far more onerous if he did. He has already applied for and received a lightening of the bail restrictions.

And people also need to consider a magistrate has decided he has a Prima Facie case to answer so their is obviously a decent basis to the case against him.

Brett’s case is constantly brought up in this regard, but his case needs to be seen as a terrible abberation rather than the norm. To constantly apply one obvious misapplication of the law like Brett’s to every situation as though it is standard practice and occurs every time is totally and utterly wrong, especially as you yourself are constantly reminding us how this supposedly great system “ usually gets it right “. Brett’s case is a shocking example of the misuse of power by people who should know better, it is NOT the legal system working properly.It is terrible not only in the sense of damage to him but also in the fact that it has made decent people think that this is the norm and just simply apply his result to a situation like this as if it’s a given.Thats simply not the case.Our system is flawed in many ways but to suggest his case was anything but a horrible miscarriage of justice is wrong.

There are hundreds of people who have NOT BEEN CONVICTED living in jail cells for the exact same incredibly serious allegations yet that’s doesnt seem to even rate a mention. Why is there not similar concern for them? They are presumed innocent so what makes De Bellin special ?

Bear can you tell me the difference in this case and why those people not afforded liberty before trial are not suffering the same overwhelming injustice as you suggest JDB is and why is there not a similar fight for their rights? They, also presumed innocent, have by definition also lost their jobs and earning power ( unlike JDB)as well as their liberty due to having an as yet unproven allegation made against them.And I am NOT prejudging JDB. This is how the criminal system works for every person and very often it entails deprivation of liberty or serious impositions on way of life without any guilty verdict anywhere to be seen for twelve months or more, just like in this case.

The simple fact is this bloke is getting 700k and very light bail conditions for the exact same unproven allegation that sees other individuals rotting in prison for twelve months or facing onerous bail conditions after being sacked unceremoniously by their pissed off employer and yet this guy keeping his 700k pay day is supposed to be a momentous day in the legal system!!!

Many who have been in the criminal system or affected by the system would in fact argue he is getting a far better deal than the average punter. In fact It’s not a momentous day. It’s a day where the court decided as they do all the time that an employer had a legal right to protect his business and penalise an employee accordingly. It’s employment law 101. Nothing more nothing less.

This happens ALL THE TIME to common people who are suspended from the workplace on the basis of a complaint for things far more trivial than aggravated rape allegations .The fact he earns 700k and plays a game we are all passionate about is absolutely and totally irrelevant to the application of the law.

For the record I disagree with the rule, mainly on the grounds it’s application is in the hands of one man, a man we know is a bufoon , but it is a legal provision under an employment contract and that just a fact... and there will be no appeal to a court to challenge it.You think this is costly. Try an appeal to the full bench of the Federal Court or a little trundle around the High Court.In any case leave would not be granted as there is nothing to see here in a legal sense.

Btw mate. Love having a bit of discourse like this. Hope you take it in the right spirit. I enjoy your posts always.

Last edited:
Regardless of the court ruling... I personally think it's a sad sad day that a player can be stood down (which without doubt assumes guilt - aka Brett Stewart) whilst not guilty of any offence by a Greenflog Kangaroo court.

I don't care about the games brand.
What about the human that's potentially been falsely accused of a crime he didn't commit? Where are his rights? What about his brand/image?

I'm shocked that a court has essentially said that the brand of a company is worth more than that of an individual... I would always have thought that innocent until proven guilty would win in this instance...

Strange world.

Where it starts to really get complex is what if JDB is found to be innocent, at 28 years of age his career is just about over once it goes to trial in a years time.

The NRL is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Brand is important as it helps generate revenue.

Players need to stop putting themselves into these types of situations

So what is his case anyway, is he saying nothing happened at all, or it was consensual and he had a lot of explaining to do to his pregnant missus?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8