Is a GF Realistic for Manly - 2021

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Lol good points but surely unnecessary to include that our halfback doesn't play bash and barge. If your halfback relies on physical impact to muscle his way through the defence you probably aren't going to be a contender for anything. :giggle:
you know this blokes form any chance to take a pot shot at our captain. id say dce has taken on the line alot more this year.

you know this blokes form any chance to take a pot shot at our captain. id say dce has taken on the line alot more this year.
Dce has maybe 6 try assists, this does not indicate he has taken the line on more. But even still you say its an improvement. Enough said. Support it mate with examples not bitchy comments
4 try assists in 14 origin games i think they said the other night

This is a persistent issue with our footy team.

You make very few points about his footy other than schoolboy adoration. Maybe you have an unhealthy thought process about our captain and not me. Why else would you take it so personal ?
I asked you many times to prove your comments but you have constantly ignored that approach

Any day you want to run through a game by game analysis of his touches let me know. Why not every week, watch the replay and collect the data. If im wrong ill glady eat humble pie, but until you are prepared to do something other than lip off , GO AWAY

He is a halfback, not a hero . I love manly , not individuals

This year and last year remind me of 2007-08 where there were 2 teams that are dominant and destined to meet in the GF over consecutive years. The Panthers have taken over as the rising stars as Manly were in '07 - blown away last year in the GF by a drilled and hardened (albeit cheating) Storm team. The following year - less Cameron Smith - was a an entirely different story.

Oh yes.....We all know and will never forget what happened in '08.

In both 07 and 08, the prelim finals were both 1-sided affairs, stamping those 2 winners as the deserving teams to play out the GF.

I can see the same happening this year, where Penrith and Melb basically battle it out in their 2nd GF after comfortably trouncing their semi-final opposition - with the teams they beat likely seeing a semi-final exit as a sound result for the season (Realistically Souths are the only team that would not be satisfied with anything but GF; Eels maybe coz they over-rate themselves - Keary-less chooks would be pragmatic imo, rest would be stoked to make final-4).

Manly - if they make the playoffs for the GF this year, they have arguably overachieved massively based on perceived Roster strength, the start to the season we had, the injuries we endured, Ben Cummins' bias, the ongoing Fainu distraction, and where pundits/experts expected us to finish - ie bottom 4.

The Roosters play Melb/Penrith in coming weeks - and if they suffer the same fate as Souths did recently (getting flogged by about 50 from each team) then realistically I can't see any other result than Penrith v Melb part 2. Also if they get flogged both times, Manly should have a good shot of leap-frogging them into 5th - the Chooks run home is super-tough compared to ours.

Where this gets interesting is something happens in the playoffs pushing Penrith and Melb to the same side of the finals draw - preferably not Manly's.

This makes the inevitable face-off of those 2 teams in a qualifying final a potential GF in its own right for those 2 teams - and they may over-exert on that game, and underestimate a red-hot Manly on a tear should we dispose of teams like Souths/Roosters/Eels - which I think we can.

That opposition overconfidence symptom was apparent when we played Parra a few weeks back - Parra thought they would rock up and it would happen, bought into their own hype, and were convincingly outplayed by an emotionally-charged Manly team lamenting the passing of an immortal. As many have pointed out though, by now Manly are not flying under the radar, their sportsbet odds have shortened considerably, Tom has been anointed the best player in the league, there is a buzz about them.

Either Penrith or Melb going into a GF with any other team will be red-hot faves too, adding more pressure of expectation - Manly can start fast and score fast (although the Cowboys game was not an example of starting well...), it could put that kind of pressure on Cleary that made him crack in Origin last year, or frustrate Munster into stupidity like Origin this year. Des has the ability/footy smarts to build a game-plan around that - the question is whether we can execute.

Its not impossible, but pragmatically the way the season is playing out, the injuries playing out and the Refereeing playing out, Melb vs Penrith GF is one of the more obvious season outcomes in recent memory. Hope i'm wrong - one thing for sure its ben a hell of a ride this year and it's highly enjoyable being in the thick of it again after some lean years.
Well thought out and well written. Completely agree.

We are a slim chance but I have a feeling it will have to be from outside the top 4. As it stands we are 4 points and 110 +/- out of 5th so we need 2 of the top five to lose 3 or more games than us.

All of the top 5, bar the Bunnies, have their bye remaining and we have to play round17 without our origin players and hope they can backup for 18. I don't have enough confidence in the bottom 10 to take enough points off the top 5 for us to squeeze in.

Not writing this year off completely but we will most likely have to make history in the process.

Monday Buzz: How the Tom Trbojevic-inspired Sea Eagles are suddenly turning heads in 2021

Remember after four weeks of the season when Manly were dead last and fan backlash was as brutal as it gets. Fast forward 10 weeks and things have changed dramatically, says Phil Rothfield.

Ten weeks is a long time in rugby league. Enough time for the Manly Sea Eagles to go from wooden spoon contenders to a genuine premiership threat.

They are now one of the teams Melbourne Storm and other clubs fear as much as any of their rivals. Manly are flying and are a real premiership threat.

“Whilst ever Tommy Turbo is healthy, Manly are a serious contender for this premiership,” says Frank Ponissi, Storm’s general manager of football.

“Dessie will play it down but they are a big threat.”

The transformation since superstar Tom Trbojevic’s comeback has been quite stunning. In attack they averaged just 8.5 points per game in the first four rounds but 33 points since his return.

In defence they conceded 39 points per game, but have got it down to 14 since Turbo’s comeback.

For a player to have so much influence, Manly definitely got a bargain when Turbo signed for six seasons at $1 million a year - $200,000 a season less than David Fifita is getting on the Gold Coast. He’d get $1.3 million now if he was on the open market.

On Friday night, the Sea Eagles ran in 50 points to destroy the Cowboys, remarkably without Turbo and rising star Josh Schuster in the second-row.

Tom Trbojevic missed the win over the Cowboys after playing Origin midweek.

Manly has got six home games to go in the run home to the finals.

Their draw is a good one with the Titans, Bulldogs, Raiders, Dragons, Wests Tigers and Sharks in the next six weeks.

Round 21 at home is the 10-year anniversary of the Battle of Brookvale against Melbourne Storm. Their players are already talking about it.

But this story is more than just the extraordinary Trbojevic influence on the club and the competition.

The big sidebar is a wily 60-year-old coach who looked shot and so defeated after four rounds.

Now Dessie Hasler has triggered an extra year until the end of 2023, providing they do make the top eight come September, which now looks a formality.

Des Hasler has done an amazing job to turn the club’s fortunes around.

Chief executive Steve Humphreys can’t speak highly enough of Hasler’s coaching.

“We had high expectations but the first month was a shock to everyone,” he says.

“Questions got asked but Des remained confident that the talent and character would shine through. I remember him saying you don’t win premierships in March and April.

“He emphasised patience. He had belief. He worked hard and stuck with his beliefs and principles. I’d heard stories that Des doesn’t sleep and now I know it’s true.”

The fan backlash in those early weeks was as bitter and nasty as it gets.

Even club legend Peter Peters said they could win the wooden spoon for the first time in the club’s history.

“Some members chose not to renew at the time,” Humphreys said.

The good times are rolling out Brookvale way at the moment.

“There was no-one storming through the door throwing their membership cards at me, but we had lots of phone calls, a lot of emails with fans expressing their displeasure. That’s normal.

“You ride the rollercoaster and you encourage passion.

“Some were calling time on Des, some were criticising the players.

“We just chose to stick solid and stay strong. There’s a long way to go but we’re hopeful of being there for the big games at the end of the season.”

We are a slim chance but I have a feeling it will have to be from outside the top 4. As it stands we are 4 points and 110 +/- out of 5th so we need 2 of the top five to lose 3 or more games than us.

All of the top 5, bar the Bunnies, have their bye remaining and we have to play round17 without our origin players and hope they can backup for 18. I don't have enough confidence in the bottom 10 to take enough points off the top 5 for us to squeeze in.

Not writing this year off completely but we will most likely have to make history in the process.
Parra have a very tough run home and have five or six games I’d expect them to lose: Penrith twice, Storm, Bunnies, Roosters and us. Roosters also have a relatively difficult draw.

If we play consistently good footy we could sneak into the top four.

I don’t think we make the top 4. The gap between the top teams and the bottom means that those sides ahead of us will keep winning...very few upsets. You’d have to imagine we will drop the odd game here and there given we are a little inconsistent.
I think we will finish 6th and maybe win our first finals game before dropping out. I think Melbs and Panthers are a fair way ahead.

I am obviously very biased, as we all are, but as it stands I really do believe we are the third best team in the comp. I think that the Storm and Penrith are in a bracket of their own, but not much separates the rest of the current top 6. And I do not see anyone 7th or below as a real threat.

Like many in here have said, a lot of it comes down to injuries. Manly have the most injuries in the comp right now, and with Turbo rested, and Keppie and Funa suspended, we had 15 players from our squad unavailable for selection. Yet these guys who have been chosen to fill in are really doing their job. I seriously am so proud that we were able to not only come from behind, but put such a huge score on a top 8 team without Turbo and Schuster - I really thought these two were the key to our success but Friday night showed how much this team overall has turned around.

But interestingly, we have seen what Penrith are like without some of their best. They do not seem to have the depth in their squad for even their second choice players to even get a win against some bottom 8 sides. Imagine if they were on their fourth or fifth choices like we are in the second row (although the injuries were a blessing in disguise to see what guys like Olakau'atu and Lawton have got!)

Hopefully we can stay healthy and string some more convincing wins together before we play the Storm and Eels back to back in early August. Both games at Brookie which is an advantage, but I am really keen to see how we are against a side like the Storm especially!

At the end of the day though, I really don't mind if we finish top 4 or not. Playing Penrith week 1 is not ideal - but you just never know! A home semi at Brookie again would be pretty awesome though...we shall see!

I am obviously very biased, as we all are, but as it stands I really do believe we are the third best team in the comp. I think that the Storm and Penrith are in a bracket of their own, but not much separates the rest of the current top 6. And I do not see anyone 7th or below as a real threat.

Like many in here have said, a lot of it comes down to injuries. Manly have the most injuries in the comp right now, and with Turbo rested, and Keppie and Funa suspended, we had 15 players from our squad unavailable for selection. Yet these guys who have been chosen to fill in are really doing their job. I seriously am so proud that we were able to not only come from behind, but put such a huge score on a top 8 team without Turbo and Schuster - I really thought these two were the key to our success but Friday night showed how much this team overall has turned around.

But interestingly, we have seen what Penrith are like without some of their best. They do not seem to have the depth in their squad for even their second choice players to even get a win against some bottom 8 sides. Imagine if they were on their fourth or fifth choices like we are in the second row (although the injuries were a blessing in disguise to see what guys like Olakau'atu and Lawton have got!)

Hopefully we can stay healthy and string some more convincing wins together before we play the Storm and Eels back to back in early August. Both games at Brookie which is an advantage, but I am really keen to see how we are against a side like the Storm especially!

At the end of the day though, I really don't mind if we finish top 4 or not. Playing Penrith week 1 is not ideal - but you just never know! A home semi at Brookie again would be pretty awesome though...we shall see!
I think if we played Eels, Souths and Chooks we lose 1/3 against each. That is, we can beat them on a good day but all things even, they get the points. Teams don't just pop up and start beating the cream of the crop; it's a slow burn. We need to gradually build over the next 1-2 years to be consistently up there with those sides. They have the runs on the board over an extended period and we are only now, just popping our heads up.

Only my 2 cents worth.

As always our injuries and their injuries will have a major bearing ... but if we do make the Grand final it will be on the end of some very good momentum ... and I wouldn't bet against us ..

Whilst I agree with you, wierdly it seems our 2nd and 3rd choice depth has been better than out 1st choice.

Must be a very unusual set of circumstances very rarely happens And
I mean no knock on ( excuse the pun) any of our players but Saab / Tafua, Oly / Sirro, even Lawton / Jetski, Harper / Suli.
And list could go on, our replacements have relegated our 1st string injuries to 2nd and 3rd choice now.

Arguably we are a stronger side with our 2nd and 3rd stringers out there....

I dont think we make top 4 BUT come finals time "If" and a big if either Panthers or Storm lose week 1 of the finals then that would put them both on the same side of the draw and effectively throwing the premiership right open for the lucky teams on the other side of the draw. Let's hope we would be on the lucky side. We should make top 6 from here and with a while lot of momentum, a bit of luck with injuries and the right players in form then anything is possible, including a premiership!

Well that ain’t going to happen!

just sayin’
No problems, we just become the first side to do it from outside the top 4, doesn’t matter who we play, doesn’t matter where we play, we just play to win and we roll over whoever we come up against, 4 games, it’s doable, so we may as well be the ones to do it, our lads just need to believe they can and stay the journey, if they fully commit to each other and the task, 4 games!
We are going to finish in the 8 somewhere, so why not win it, that has to be the only way to be thinking about it, prepare mentally and physically for 4 games, don‘t listen to any external noise, 4 games, the lads have the chance to write themselves into the history books as premiers and the first team to do it from outside the top 4, start the mental self belief process and let them manifest the reality. Winning GF‘s is why you play, it’s what the lads are playing for, wind them up and tell them to go and get it.

I dont think we make top 4 BUT come finals time "If" and a big if either Panthers or Storm lose week 1 of the finals then that would put them both on the same side of the draw and effectively throwing the premiership right open for the lucky teams on the other side of the draw. Let's hope we would be on the lucky side. We should make top 6 from here and with a while lot of momentum, a bit of luck with injuries and the right players in form then anything is possible, including a premiership!
I like the idea but it’ll turn out like 2014. The Roosters were upset by Penrith week 1 and moved onto the same side as Souths. The team that got through on the easy side of the draw (Bulldogs) was just canon fodder in the Grand Final.

Still the best chance of making the GF though

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8