Is a GF Realistic for Manly - 2021

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Not to jump the gun or put the mock on, but this side has many great characteristics and what's scary....a heap of improvement...and let me add, sorry but we ain't under no radar any more.
This is good, the opposition fans hate us again and that's the true sign when Manly are in form and competitive again....when fans are about the "I don't mind Manly anymore, we are lagging at the bottom end of the table and no threat.
I prefer to ask "Can we make the GF".... from there it's just 1 game, in fact same for the finals in general and apart from Penrith and Melbourne, other top sides are looking scratchy, though I feel Souths when the whips are cracking are also a serious threat.
Personally felt 2022 / 2023 was where we were warming up to, but since the 1st win over NZ....there is a different aura about this side...YES Tom T has had Massive impact, but every individual is better and the team look harmonious and happy, this was missing ingredients in recent years.
Des seems to have found the dressing room again and the players have more energy and commitment and the confidence is only increasing.
At Full strength by the business end of the season, I still feel Penrith are the obvious Top rated candidates....maybe Storm next....but I reckon we are 3 or 4 today based on form and have more improvement than those above which really makes things interesting...what's the thoughts ??

We are the 2nd best at average tackles per game behind Storm. Meaning we are dominating possession attack and not having to defend as much. We are definitely at full strength a huge chance this year. Injuries at the backed will determine this title.
PS. The knights are the worst team at average tackles per game. Seriously that arseclown Cumstain needs to be investigated.

Our bad luck with injuries could prove beneficial at the end of the season. If we can get the majority of our squad fit -- and some of the other clubs get injuries to key players at finals time -- then we will be competitive.
The 'Riff and the Storm are always going to be hard to beat. Souffs and Easts will also be a chance. I think when it really matters Doesn'tmatta won't be able to match those top four.
Just getting to the top eight will be a "pass mark" for us, particularly as we were looking like wooden spoon contenders before round five. If we can win a finals match or two then we'll have exceeded expectations, and we'll have a lot of young players who have gained NRL experience ready to rumble in 2022.

On our day we can beat anyone. Our bash and barge style as opposed to finesse around the park may hurt us when we have to put mutiple games together against real contenders. FINALS

Its part of the reason we have so many injuries. A smart kicking game is needed to help reduce impact over long seasons. Foran had one of his better games last night and directed our attack,straightened us up but we still lacked a tactician

Lets be honest the cows opened the door for us last night with errors and penalties, we didnt open it ourselves. We took full advantage of it once it was opened but a disciplined cowboys may have seen the score reversed. The better teams dont do that and our start was worrying

We can only hope we have used our injury luck and tom stays healthy

We are playing a long list of pretenders and while the wins are fantastic we need to realise the top teams set the bar much much higher and you dont just blow them away in 5 minutes. They have strategies to turn the tide and plenty of resillience

Our bash and barge style as opposed to finesse around the park may hurt us when we have to put mutiple games together against real contenders. FINALS

Its part of the reason we have so many injuries. A smart kicking game is needed to help reduce impact over long seasons.
Interesting theory but not sure what you base it on really.
Happy to be proven wrong but at a glance our injuries have not been from bash and barge style
Turbo? no
Cust no
Siro no
Boyle was making a tackle
Jetski -foot injury
Walker was hammie
Aloiai chronic wrist - Josh Aloiai ready for 2020 after off-season surgery
Davey – leg
Saddler – was defending
schu - no

Who's the form team? Penrith... without any injuries. How many injuries did we have?
Take 5 players out of Penrith (admittedly their best) and how did they go against the tadpoles?
Ultimately, I think the GF will be decided by injuries (and suspensions)... other than that - purely cattle.

What a difference one week makes the game against Newcastle one would think can’t win a comp playing like that regardless of the way the game was officiated
Compared to putting 50 on a team in the 8 and a great win against the Parra
We will know the potential to win the GF is when we play Melbourne and Parra later in the season as long as they keep winning the games they should

Ultimately, I think the GF will be decided by injuries (and suspensions)... other than that - purely cattle.
All the top sides have plenty of decent cattle, and we are one of those.

Key injuries at the wrong time can be a killer, other than that the key will be confidence, team harmony and good form among the entire squad at the pointy end.

Notwithstanding the views of credible posters that Des doesn't understand the modern game/can't select the right players/has lost the dressing room/ is suffering dementia (etc) I think he is actually a huge plus for our campaign. Robbo Bellamy and Bennett are coaching 3 of our main rivals but I don't discount the possibility of Des outcoaching any of them in any given finals shoot-out.

Interesting theory but not sure what you base it on really.
Happy to be proven wrong but at a glance our injuries have not been from bash and barge style
Turbo? no
Cust no
Siro no
Boyle was making a tackle
Jetski -foot injury
Walker was hammie
Aloiai chronic wrist - Josh Aloiai ready for 2020 after off-season surgery
Davey – leg
Saddler – was defending
schu - no
We have had major injuries for as long as we employed the tactic. is it just coincidental year after year .I love watching it though, dont get me wrong
But then the storm generally have had less injuries especially when players like smith and cronk ran the show , kicking early and having a plan, We were all very envious.

There are many studies that confirm more injuries happen under fatigue. You get clumsy and make poor decisions . Bash and barge is not energy conservative at all.
I would presume we train for the style we play also

Coincidently our halfback rarely gets hit hard and certainly does not play bash and barge. He avoids impact at all costs when running the ball. Another coincidence that he might play 700 games straight.

Forwards will get hit and there are more injuries in gang tackles as opposing players twist you to there will. Avoiding some of these runs every game by kicking long to get to the other end instead of head down bum up adds up over time.

Running into a brick wall 15 times a game instead of 20 , 25 games per year is big. Then of course its where you start those runs. On your own 40 m line or assaulted on your 10 m line

Smart kicking and patience on a consistent level

Thats not even considering how desperately short of forwards we are

In your own half forwards make many more runs that when you are in the oppostion half where you spread the ball more

Field position is king

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6