Inglis ****show will be interesting

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Okay I have a feeling I'm going to get absolutely torched here.......and I'll be honest I haven't gone through this with a fine tooth comb but here it goes

*deep breath*

It a seems somewhat reasonable to me...

My understanding is what he is getting paid (half this years contract, and whatever he gets paid for the rest of the years ambassadorial role) counts towards the cap and what he gets paid next year for his ambassador role counts towards the cap. I think that seems fair?

I mean, he has walked away from his contract right, as in he isn't getting paid the 2 million, so only what he gets paid should count.

Matai and Stewart (argument on whether it should have been medical retirement or not aside) got their full allotment of money no?

Not sure on the details of Nate, but if he got his contract money then it should count, if he walked away from the money than something does stink.

I dunno, maybe I'm being slow here on a Friday morning but IMO whatever a player is getting paid should be in the cap, if a player chooses to retire and give up those payments then it shouldn't be in the cap

Okay.............let the roasting begin
The entire problem with this whole argument is that there is NO WAY that he walked away from 2 million $. Unless that is, he was promised EXACTLY this amount in some under the table deals.

Okay I have a feeling I'm going to get absolutely torched here.......and I'll be honest I haven't gone through this with a fine tooth comb but here it goes

*deep breath*

My understanding is what he is getting paid (half this years contract, and whatever he gets paid for the rest of the years ambassadorial role) counts towards the cap and what he gets paid next year for his ambassador role counts towards the cap. I think that seems fair?

I mean, he has walked away from his contract right, as in he isn't getting paid the 2 million, so only what he gets paid should count.

Matai and Stewart (argument on whether it should have been medical retirement or not aside) got their full allotment of money no?

Not sure on the details of Nate, but if he got his contract money then it should count, if he walked away from the money than something does stink.

I dunno, maybe I'm being slow here on a Friday morning but IMO whatever a player is getting paid should be in the cap, if a player chooses to retire and give up those payments then it shouldn't be in the cap

From a normal fair perspective if a player retires or quits, then his salary shouldn't be counted against the cap so its not that bad. Problem is Parra ruined that for everyone and tainted it by paying overs & poaching guys like Watmough knowing he wouldn't see out his contract, then these arse clowns make the rules up as they go.

If anyone actually believes that Inglis gave up 1.8mil to just retire early is kidding themselves. Nobody would give that cash up when they could just fein injury and muck about for 2 years and get a motza, I don't care how tired you are. Make no mistake Inglis is on a motza and once he retires they won't be able to see what he gets privately so effectively can't police it. Do you honestly think that Manly wouldn't have just given Snake and Matai a coaching job to get them off the cap? They had to pay them whilst they weren't playing anyway so why not give them a job and get the cap space back, that option we were told was not available to us.

The way to eliminate the problem of players getting overs for their final contracts, is to allow long serving club players like Watmough, Matai, Brett and Gifty cap discounts for continued one club service. No one would care if long serving one club players were retained by their club with salary cap discounts because they are already at the club. It also means that players like Gifty who bled for their club actually become valuable additions to a roster as they age instead of becoming a hindrance to the up and coming players and the clubs salary cap.

Last edited:

*deep breath*

With snake and Matai we asked for a medical retirement, which was declined (absurd decision) So Manly had to keep them on their books to pay them - otherwise they could have retired (not medically) but forego-ed their salary

The Inglis case is different, South's knew he was no longer the player he was (not as busted like Matai or snake were), but heart not in it and costing 1 million a season, so they said to him, retire and will will pay you 300k or more for a job to hang around the club, which is not in the spirit and should not be allowed cause the rich clubs will expose this.

Would Inglis retire if he was not getting the 300k plus next year, would he just give up 1 million for the club and retire - don't think so! Which means he would and should of stayed on the books for next year

Did anyone really think Greenburg would deny this request? The bloke gave him a reference in court for drink driving ffs when the game was losing sponsors due to players behaviour. I've just learnt not to get worked up by his decisions anymore because his is protected by the media and won't get held to account. Who can seriously get away with saying 'consistency is overrated' and not be slammed by everyone. He is a dictator not an administrator. Hasn't got an ounce of moral fibre in his entire body.

Funny isn't it, all the fans want is an unbiased and consistent administration that keeps out of the game as much as possible and maintains an even playing field. They fail to provide us this pretty much every time they make any decision and it stinks.
I think this is where we may be slightly mistaken...

Fans of Souths, Easts, Brisbane, Parra, Melbourne, Cowboys amongst others are MORE THAN happy with the current administration.

Such a shame.

Out of curiosity, whihc other clubs (other than Manly) do you think get a rough deal by the NRL? Serious question.

I can't help but think that the Raiders never get much love. The Warriors don't seem to be NRL favourites either. Who else am I missing?

They could make a rule that players over 32 years that have played more than 150 games for their current club could be 50% exempt from the cap and allowed to retire through injury at any time cap exempt. That would stop this rorting and poaching and keep the fans happy because their favorite players would stay till the end of their careers.

*deep breath*

The contra argument is that GI wouldn't have walked unless he had prior assurances that his income would remain the same :cool:

GI's 350k for 2019 has now been moved off their Cap.

Peter Wallace was retired mid season and took up an assistant coaching role to get the rest of his monies. Riff had to keep that all under their Cap a few years ago.:confused:

Manly tried to move Snake and Matai off their Cap and pay them as employees, but the NRL knocked it back:mad:

The NRLHQ favouritism towards the Scumos, Cows through the Cap exempt Testimonials and now the Rabbids is beyond the pale :swear:

Fans of Souths, Easts, Brisbane, Parra, Melbourne, Cowboys amongst others are MORE THAN happy with the current administration.

Such a shame.

Out of curiosity, whihc other clubs (other than Manly) do you think get a rough deal by the NRL? Serious question.

I can't help but think that the Raiders never get much love. The Warriors don't seem to be NRL favourites either. Who else am I missing?
Tigers cop it nearly as bad as us sometimes

Such a shame.

Titans
Raiders
Tigers
Warriors

And to a lesser extent sharks and dragons.

The way it works is you just have to keep the Queenslanders and Uncle Nick happy and you’ll be sweet. The storm fall under that with their links to the QLD Cup and ownership group.

Here is another issue I have with this.

Personally I believe that Souffs (and the NRL) offered the ambassador role(s) to 1nglis before he actually retired. Didn't the Tigpies get a salary cap penalty for doing the same thing, offering Robbie Farah a job for when he retires?
Exactly the same scenario for which the Tigers CEO was deregistered and the Club fined 1.5 million as Cap was deemed to be breached @:mad:

Hope the Tigers sue the NRL and Manly joins in :nerd:

Inglis will get his $2mil. It'll just be over the next 3 or 4 yrs for some bullsht coaching and charity job. The $900k he gets for this year and next comes off their cap which is a fair penalty but no doubt a dodgy compromise deal so they dont wear the whole $2mil. After 2020 the vermin will pay him the other $1.1mil in bs jobs.

Inglis will get his $2mil. It'll just be over the next 3 or 4 yrs for some bullsht coaching and charity job. The $900k he gets for this year and next comes off their cap which is a fair penalty but no doubt a dodgy compromise deal so they dont wear the whole $2mil. After 2020 the vermin will pay him the other $1.1mil in bs jobs.
This is the real issue. He will also be getting paid by the NRL and when you add together all of the separate arrangements made it will equal his contract amounts. Job done, nice and under the carpet just like the NRL likes it when they want it that way.

If, as reported, all other club CEO were 'happy' with the Inglis decision then it is a black mark against our administrators.
Why didn't/haven't they spoken up against it?
This decision is wrong and our CEO and owner needs to explain why it is contrary to the NRL's stance against Snake and Matai.
Or are we now a club that rolls over whenever sand is kicked in our face?

@Disco, I can understand your perspective in that all that should be included under the cap is what he is in fact paid.

For me, though, it is a policy issue and the NRL seem unable or unwilling to articulate how this decision is consistent with salary cap policy.

We are constantly told about how the salary cap creates a close competition. It is apparently sacrosanct.

Manly was told that the TPAs offered to its players, even though not paid by the club, had the effect of distorting the player market. This may or may not be true. I still have my doubts about this decision purely because the details of the arrangements and the NRL’s reasons (and the reasons of the review tribunal) are not public. All we can go by was Tod’s self serving statements, which were taken up by his goons.

Signing Inglis to a 4 year deal, then allowing him to retire and giving cap space to Souths also distorts the player market. It effectively allows Souths to double dip on a marquee player when they are the ones that took the risk 3 years ago when they resigned him.

Signing Inglis to a 4 year deal when he was 30 years old was always fraught with danger. That it was him not wanting to play any more, as opposed to him not being able to play any more, is irrelevant from a salary cap perspective. Souths rolled the dice and lost out on the gamble - it is no different to Snake and Matai who were signed to their last contracts in full knowledge of their injury histories. We rolled the dice and lost on the gamble.

Even if Inglis just retired without the promise of another job, I’d argue that good salary cap policy shouldn’t factor this into account. Just because a player is in a financial position to retire mid-contract is irrelevant to salary cap policy. I feel sorry for the player who actually wants to retire and help his club out but can’t financially.

To sum it up, the old policy of only getting salary cap relief for a new career ending injury is sound. While foreseeable that any player might suffer such an injury, this is an objective risk all clubs face equally. That’s why I am fine with the decision not to medically retire and give cap relief for Snake and Matai. We rolled the dice and lost the gamble. It was only farcical because the NRL deemed choc to suffer a new career ending injury in order to get Parra under the cap.

Once again, the NRL had the policy right but just stuff it up in wanting to do favours for some.

@The Who, if the other club CEOs are ok with this, it is only because they are looking forward to exploiting it. It is a free for all now. Eg Cronk could go around another year and if he is playing like a busted, one of Uncle Nick’s buddies will offer him a $500k pa job. It will, of course, be ‘arm’s length’ so none of it will hit the Rooster’s cap.

I am happy to convinced otherwise, but this decision is just so flawed in my opinion and only undermines the salary cap.

If, as reported, all other club CEO were 'happy' with the Inglis decision then it is a black mark against our administrators.
Why didn't/haven't they spoken up against it?
This decision is wrong and our CEO and owner needs to explain why it is contrary to the NRL's stance against Snake and Matai.
Or are we now a club that rolls over whenever sand is kicked in our face?
My guess is it would "look bad" as the info would get out about who voted against it and the club(s) would be immediately tagged as racists.

IMO it was a no-win situation for the clubs as the NRL sees GI as a legend and being indigenous only adds to that.

In addition the NRL had already made their decision and did the usual PR stunt by putting it back on the clubs to vote yes or no.

That way they are blameless if the clubs vote no so Toddy says they were in favour but the clubs had the final say.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10