I miss streamers and mud.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
“Get em onside” being shouted loudly whenever the opposition was tackling.

Just a complete different atmosphere.

My first GF was the 1973 one, an 18 year old kid ( in fact 17 at the time) , squashed into the hill with literally thousands of other supporters , by myself ( country boy didn’t know a soul).

Got adopted by some Manly fans and boy didn’t I have a ball.

It’s just not the same now and never will be again!!

What about the guys walking around yelling "peanuts in the shell, 20c"?
Or the guy selling the footy doubles, dad used to buy us one each and the anticipation of peeling back the cardboard to see who we needed to score first
added to the excitement of the game day experience before that phrase was a marketers thought bubble.
True fan engagement right there without leaving your seat!

Used to love it when most of the games were played at the same time on Sunday arvo & the hush that would evolve around Brooky as the ground announcer would give updates from games at other grounds. He didn't announce the games randomly either. If there was a result of another match that was important to Manly, he would leave that game till last and also add in a classic dramatic pause. Some of those announcements would often get a bigger cheer than what we were watching in front of us.

Different times now & I of course understand that will never be brought back.

Loved the 80's footy.
A mate and I as teenagers who grew up in the Hills District would go to nearly every game.
The night before we would cut up newspapers into small squares to throw around also brought rolls of streamers.
Use to an all day thing for us travelling by public transport and watching 3 games.
We use to go to Maccas on the way and take it in for lunch without a word said.
From memory, they stopped the clock with 5 minutes to go and as soon as the final hooter went it was a race to grab a corner post to take home.
I don't remember player standing around having a laugh after a loss, they seemed to take a loss to heart.

Back in the day the majority of players, other than the very elite, were on win/lose/draw payments .... with the difference between a loss and a win significant ....

In u/23 I remember a win was $20 and a loss nil .... doesn't sound much but a middy only cost 10c ..... so that was 200 beers ... I seem to remember the chips in newspaper from the Wharf were also only 10c ..... good days.

Back in the day the majority of players, other than the very elite, were on win/lose/draw payments .... with the difference between a loss and a win significant ....

In u/23 I remember a win was $20 and a loss nil .... doesn't sound much but a middy only cost 10c ..... so that was 200 beers ... I seem to remember the chips in newspaper from the Wharf were also only 10c ..... good days.
3 cents for paddle pops
5 cents for a bus section which were much longer

I still miss the pavlova shop on Manly Wharf @:cry:

Hallowed days.
I miss kicking the footy on the pitch after games, players who broke tackles, fatigue factor, colourful players, rules that stuck, one ref, suburban grounds, girls with big boobs and streamers, simply the best on the PA walking out of Allianz. These among many things. That defined that great era.
NYEagle

to be fair there are plenty of big boobs still around .... and many of them on girls

3 potato scallops for a sixpence ....

I remember when you could get a knee trembler for $30. You could also fill your car up for $30. It was a tough choice.

I walked a lot during the 70's. You either walked or wanked and I didn't think I was good looking enough for a selfie....

aarrgh ....the good old knee trembler .... being a good sort I never needed to worry about the $30 ..... but I can at least pretend to try and understand your dilemma ....:rofl:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7