I miss streamers and mud.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Harvies elbow

I'm a country member....... " Yes we remember "
2017 Tipping Competitor
While goose Gould and studs up are hogging the dance floor and the media can't find time to rip into us I watched some footy from the 80s and realised how much I missed the grounds being covered in streamers and players in mud & dirt.
F*ck Toddy's sanitised bullsh*t game I'd like to see fans turn up just to trash the empty caverns with streamers & torn up paper then leave just to p*ss him off.
Give him a reminder of when people loved their rugby league and actually turned up.
Acknowledge that this is more a rant than a thread.
It's what happens when I get a day off.
Anyway f*ck him.

Hallowed days.
I miss kicking the footy on the pitch after games, players who broke tackles, fatigue factor, colourful players, rules that stuck, one ref, suburban grounds, girls with big boobs and streamers, simply the best on the PA walking out of Allianz. These among many things. That defined that great era.
NYEagle

@Harvies elbow sorry to pull you up but you missed the blood bit....streaming down from wounded gladiators to demonstrate when they were playing they actually gave a damn (or insert expletive here)
That too Sticks.
And on the same train, players not laughing like they've been sucking on the helium after a bad loss.
I'm beginning to think I should've called this thread grumpy old b*stards.
It's what Toddy does to ya...

We used to put on our 'We Was Robbed' badges after a loss :giggle:

Nowdays we would be called whingers for wearing them with righteous indignation :rofl:

Great days in the late 70's early to mid 80's.
I remember sneaking into the southern stand and sitting in the front row, and every home game there were 10 people spread out with garbage bags.
Every time Manly scored there would be shredded newspaper flying everywhere, and old Steve throwing the Boomerang blew me away.
Very happy memories being a Manly supporter growing up on the northern beaches.

Loved the 80's footy.
A mate and I as teenagers who grew up in the Hills District would go to nearly every game.
The night before we would cut up newspapers into small squares to throw around also brought rolls of streamers.
Use to an all day thing for us travelling by public transport and watching 3 games.
We use to go to Maccas on the way and take it in for lunch without a word said.
From memory, they stopped the clock with 5 minutes to go and as soon as the final hooter went it was a race to grab a corner post to take home.
I don't remember player standing around having a laugh after a loss, they seemed to take a loss to heart.

Loved the 80's footy.
A mate and I as teenagers who grew up in the Hills District would go to nearly every game.
The night before we would cut up newspapers into small squares to throw around also brought rolls of streamers.
Use to an all day thing for us travelling by public transport and watching 3 games.
We use to go to Maccas on the way and take it in for lunch without a word said.
From memory, they stopped the clock with 5 minutes to go and as soon as the final hooter went it was a race to grab a corner post to take home.
I don't remember player standing around having a laugh after a loss, they seemed to take a loss to heart.
I'd forgotten about the clock stop.
Used to add to the drama.
I used to like the captains tossing the coin with the ref in the middle of the field.
Used to always be a tense moment.

Hallowed days.
I miss kicking the footy on the pitch after games, players who broke tackles, fatigue factor, colourful players, rules that stuck, one ref, suburban grounds, girls with big boobs and streamers, simply the best on the PA walking out of Allianz. These among many things. That defined that great era.
NYEagle

Are there no girls with big boobs in NY?

The mid-70s to the mid-80s were a time when football fields would cut up when the rain hit and there were 3 games played and it did not stop the quality players from producing great footy.

The streamers added colour to the game and I remember many a game when you saw streamers on the field and it was a ritual to throw shredded newspaper into the air to welcome a team onto the field.

Back then, clubs had designated supporters clubs, Manly had a big cheer squad and we used to sit on the halfway line in the Jane Try stand and later in the Fulton Menzies stand and during finals the memorable days in the Sheridan Stand. Talk about atmosphere!! They were special days!!

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6