I miss streamers and mud.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
aarrgh ....the good old knee trembler .... being a good sort I never needed to worry about the $30 ..... but I can at least pretend to try and understand your dilemma ....:rofl:
To think that I started this thread as a dark, moody trip of nostalgia and to have a dig at greenturd to see where it ends up leaves one speechless sometimes.
LMAO this forum is a drug...

I remember going to games in the 70's with my mates as teenagers. We all supported different teams but no matter who was playing, we all went because, let's face it, what sort of idiot passes up a day at the footy ?

Calling out to the ice cream kid at Leicchardt who was 30 metres away and then asking him if he had a certain type of ice cream we knew full well he didn't have just to be assholes. Turning around and watching Laurie Nicholls shadow boxing at the top of the stairs in his black and gold singlet. Being at Lidcombe the day Stephen Knight pulled off the best coat hanger I've ever seen. Watching Canterbury and Saints at Belmore making sure to keep our distance from "The Skull". Spending 3 hours on public transport with my Roosters supporting brother to get to Brookie from Merrylands....trailing all day only for Mike Eden to convert a try from the sideline to win 20-19 and then putting sh1t on my brother on the 3 hour trip home. Holding the transistor to my ear listening to Frank Hyde waiting for scores from other grounds when Manly weren't the match of the round.

These are simple pleasures kids won't have today. And I feel sorry for them. Watching all 3 grades. Collecting footy cards. Waiting for the week when the Manly poster was in the Big League. Getting to school on Monday and giving it to anyone whose team lost. Wearing your jersey everywhere until your mum pretty much threatened you with decapitation if you didn't take it off so she could wash it.

It'll never be the same again but at least we got to enjoy it first hand.

Last edited:
I remember going to games in the 70's with my mates as teenagers. We all supported different teams but no matter who was playing, we all went because, let's face it, what sort of idiot passes up a day at the footy ?

Calling out to the ice cream kid at Leicchardt who was 30 metres away and then asking him if he had a certain type of ice cream we knew full well he didn't have just to be assholes. Turning around and watching Laurie Nicholls shadow boxing at the top of the stairs in his black and gold singlet. Being at Lidcombe the day Stephen Knight pulled off the best coat hanger I've ever seen. Watching Canterbury and Saints at Belmore making sure to keep our distance from "The Skull". Spending 3 hours on public transport with my Roosters supporting brother to get to Brookie from Merrylands....trailing all day only for Mike Eden to convert a try from the sideline to win 20-19 and then putting sh1t on my brother on the 3 hour trip home. Holding the transistor to my ear listening to Frank Hyde waiting for scores from other grounds when Manly weren't the match of the round.

These are simple pleasures kids won't have today. And I feel sorry for them. Watching all 3 grades. Collecting footy cards. Waiting for the week when the Manly poster was in the Big League. Getting to school on Monday and giving it to anyone whose team lost. Wearing your jersey everywhere until your mum pretty much threatened you with decapitation if you didn't take it off so she could wash it.

It'll never be the same again but at least we got to enjoy it first hand.

.... and imposing a media ban so you could watch the match of the day without knowing the score ...

.... and imposing a media ban so you could watch the match of the day without knowing the score ...

My dad was a stickler for that, the amount of times I got the death stare from him when I couldn't contain my excitement whilst listening to the radio.

Watching a replay of the 89 GF at the only 2 Year old football stadium on the greatest on Fox shows how despite all the whinging and whining about ground surfaces and facilities the players adapt to the circumstances before them.
Even though the ground is 2 years old there is little or no grass in the centre from 20 to 20.
Plenty of dirt but little grass.
No kicking tees so they stood the ball straight up or used sand.
If today's leaders had the kahunas to just make decisions like 1 ref, no bunker, 6 interchanges the game would be more entertaining and way less stoppages.
Almost the same as what produced this, voted greatest grand Final ever.

Ah Skull, real name, I think, Ross May, a neo-Nazi in the 70s. A Dragons supporter mate told me a story that may or may not be true about Skull and the Balmain supporter Laurie Nichols. Apparently Laurie did his famous shadow boxing at Kogarah when the Tigers ran onto the field. Skull threatened to beat Laurie up and Laurie retreated to a safe distance. At half time Skull was on the grass hill and climbed to the top to use a portaloo. When Skull closed the door, Laurie crept up, locked the door from the outside, unshackled the portaloo and pushed it down the hill with Skull inside. The portaloo did a couple of rolls and when it stopped, Skull emerged drenched in "nightsoil" and breathing out curses. I don't know if he ever found out who did it, but Laurie Nichols did humanity a great service. It could be an apocryphal tale but it is apparently true. I hope its true.

Ah Skull, real name, I think, Ross May, a neo-Nazi in the 70s. A Dragons supporter mate told me a story that may or may not be true about Skull and the Balmain supporter Laurie Nichols. Apparently Laurie did his famous shadow boxing at Kogarah when the Tigers ran onto the field. Skull threatened to beat Laurie up and Laurie retreated to a safe distance. At half time Skull was on the grass hill and climbed to the top to use a portaloo. When Skull closed the door, Laurie crept up, locked the door from the outside, unshackled the portaloo and pushed it down the hill with Skull inside. The portaloo did a couple of rolls and when it stopped, Skull emerged drenched in "nightsoil" and breathing out curses. I don't know if he ever found out who did it, but Laurie Nichols did humanity a great service. It could be an apocryphal tale but it is apparently true. I hope its true.
Any man who, in the days when train windows were openable, would respond to a well to do woman who refused to move her cat from the last available seat on the carriage, with a "rat a tat tat there goes your cat" as it sailed out the window, is capable of anything...

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6