Hooker for 2021

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
With a bit of recent attention on Croker , think that there is a bit of underestimation on the useful role that Cust can still hopefully provide when he is given a shot at 9 . Pass selection occasionally when playing 6 has not been that great but should have less issues in closer and does have an elusive running style , good anticipation . With a bit of ad lib and support play , again could go well there , especially when there is a bit more open play on offer . Has proven a tough competitor and good enough defence . Api was a converted half , not noted for his passing game but his terror like approach in defence and sharpness around the ruck has him right up there at present in the 9 's rating . Not expecting Croker and Cust to reach his level but a Croker then Cust combination at 9 and doing a good enough job there could still work out O K and then for the noted play makers D C E , Turbo , Foz and Schuster to step up

It's the one glaring weakness in our roster. If Fainu is available, it changes everything, but we can't be counting on his return any time soon.
All we can do is count on Des who is on a big money contract to give our legendary club a good return this season .

Great leaders like Des should always find a way to overcome adversity
and excuses for not living up to our great clubs standards are not acceptable .

About time you got some commission from L . J . Hooker then .
We had a local relay for life to raise money for cancer and had a $5 fee for any one who wanted to be "Picked up by a Hooker" - many hot blooded males jumped at it....
After about 50 entries all these blokes lined up to collect their prize outside the LJ Hooker tent.....and 1 at a time were allowed inside.
When they got inside the tent - we had the big LJHooker bear hiding round the corner...snuck up behind and picked them up....put them down ...and thanked them for the donation....:hi:

The interesting thing about 9 in the modern game is the increased speed. If you think about the best hookers in the game, they all pass off the deck or run straight and hard. Even Cam Smith had to adjust his approach to the increased speed last year. Gone are the days of picking it up and having a look around. Harry Grant is another who excelled under the new rules because he either passes immediately or runs immediately (never a bit of both).

Fainu was looking the goods BUT the new rules certainly do not suit his 'pick the ball up and have a look around' like it did before the rule changes sped the game up. I am not suggesting for one second that he couldn't or won't adapt to the changes (should he return) but the rules certainly favour hookers with a more rigid approach to the position.
Fainu's biggest asset is that he plays heads up footy. Plays to what he sees in front of him. He plays like another ball player, holds the ball out in front and keeps the defence guessing. That is also Cam Smith's biggest strength. He is able to play the game at his speed and dictate terms. He is not as explosive as Grant or Cook but can be just as effective with hands on ball

Can someone start a poll and see how few people are actually backing Croker to succeed. I'm guessing 80% will have egg on their face ;)
You can fling that egg all over my face Teppanyaki style. However, only after at least half a season, not after one try assist. I feel pretty safe; although, I'd be more than happy to cop a bakers dozen if it sees us lift up that trophy.

Pack mentality: Croker hooking into new role with gusto
Author
Troy Whittaker
NRL.com Reporter

He grew up as a halfback, but Manly's Lachlan Croker is finding footy more fun among the forwards.

The 24-year-old utility, who played every game in 2020, told NRL.com he'd "done a lot of work in the middle this pre-season".

After spending much of last season coming off the bench at hooker, and with a logjam in the halves, Croker is one of the candidates for the No.9 jersey following Danny Levi's departure.

"There's a lot of good halves at this club at the moment. That is what it is, and I've been enjoying playing in the middle probably more than I have been in the halves the last couple of years," Croker said.

"It's an exciting time for me to try something new. It's one of those things where I get to learn more than I would've playing in the halves because it's a totally new concept to me. It's been good, it's been a good learning curve but I'm really excited by it.

"Being a half prior [to the move], I know I can understand how a half wants the ball from me because I've been in that position."

Pack mentality: Croker hooking into new role with gusto
Author
Troy Whittaker
NRL.com Reporter

He grew up as a halfback, but Manly's Lachlan Croker is finding footy more fun among the forwards.

The 24-year-old utility, who played every game in 2020, told NRL.com he'd "done a lot of work in the middle this pre-season".

After spending much of last season coming off the bench at hooker, and with a logjam in the halves, Croker is one of the candidates for the No.9 jersey following Danny Levi's departure.

"There's a lot of good halves at this club at the moment. That is what it is, and I've been enjoying playing in the middle probably more than I have been in the halves the last couple of years," Croker said.

"It's an exciting time for me to try something new. It's one of those things where I get to learn more than I would've playing in the halves because it's a totally new concept to me. It's been good, it's been a good learning curve but I'm really excited by it.

"Being a half prior [to the move], I know I can understand how a half wants the ball from me because I've been in that position."

The Next Immortal

Oh boy this is going to be fun!!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8