HASLER ... fighting to keep his job.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
The thread title was the the headline in the telecrap article today .. roughly it said ...

"Hasler has a clause in his contract that would have given him the 2024 season, had he made the top 8 this year.

It is understood the club's board resolved to retain the contract as it stands , meaning Hasler will head into the off-season with his future at the Sea Eagles on the brink .

Hasler needs to finish this year well and start next year on fire or he could be replaced "

I have heard that Mestrov won't ever consider any staff member to be completely "safe". Whether our CEO actually has any power or is just a puppet on the end of Penn's string, I don't know.

I don't know what the answer is with a replacement coach either. I disagree with the short-sighted suggestions of throwing in an untried coach Cronk or even Ciraldo. The reality is that for every Fitzgibbon, you are going to have a Justin Holbrook, Anthony O'Brien, Trent Barrett etc etc.

Absolutely crazy talk. Why can’t we give him some security and longevity to plan . Give him 2024 and 2025 and then we can discuss him mentoring a young coach and moving into a head of football role.

Surely we have watched the other clubs with their coaching merry go rounds and learnt from the Trent Barrett saga.

I sometimes wonder if our club can get anything right off the field.

I think its about right - Des/Manly performance has been up and down during his 2nd tenure. I think he's been walking the line where he's been neither great nor bad.

Let's see what next year brings. I have a feeling we'll improve but we are such an erratic footy team on and off the park who really knows.

If the club was run properly by the owners then I think Des may have a case to answer, but it's a little unfair to judge him when it's becoming more and more apparent that we are lacking the resources that the wealthier clubs have at their disposal.

If the club was run properly by the owners then I think Des may have a case to answer, but it's a little unfair to judge him when it's becoming more and more apparent that we are lacking the resources that the wealthier clubs have at their disposal.
Exactly right. How can the owners of the club judge Des with the **** show they have run for the last few years. If they had been half as successful in their roles as des has been at coaching then fair enough however we have had 6 CEO’s in 8 years let alone all the other rubbish that has happened.

In his latest tenure:

+ 2nd worst defensive record ever measured over 20 matches in the history of the sport.

+ 2nd longest losing streak ever recorded in Sea Eagles history.

+ Worst ever floggings at the hands of The Dragons / Roosters for our club

+ An unparalleled exodus of players seeking an early release (and other players leaving)

+ 0 marquee talent being drawn to the club

+ Some of the worst behaviours by a group of players I've ever witnessed in the sport (they are running the asylum)).

+ Unprecedented comments by past players (supported by current players) around his team selections on social media

+ Since 2017, has had a .400 winning record, putting him statistically on a roller coaster down the aggregated coaches rankings through history

+ Juniors situation a debacle. When Segeyaro stated Des hadn't even spoken to him about what was required, that should have indicated red flags

+ Made the finals 2 years of his last 5

I can't help but look back at the way it all ended at the very well resourced Bulldogs and wonder if that is really the issue.
To me, his structures haven't changed from 2011 and those Bulldog days.
I know there's the issue of the big three, but even with that his recruiting has been ridiculous.
Since he came back I have never felt he's about the club, just squeezing a little more out of his career.
Many point to his success last year but that was on the back of a phenomenal player, having a phenomenal year. Little to do with Des.
Also, lots asking who we could get? To me, if the current bloke isn't likely to get us a premiership, then give someone else a go.
Give Steven Hales a shot. We are currently 10th without a bullet!

* All this isn't directed at you Andrew - just got carried away!

In his latest tenure:

+ 2nd worst defensive record ever measured over 20 matches in the history of the sport.

+ 2nd longest losing streak ever recorded in Sea Eagles history.

+ Worst ever floggings at the hands of The Dragons / Roosters for our club

+ An unparalleled exodus of players seeking an early release (and other players leaving)

+ 0 marquee talent being drawn to the club

+ Some of the worst behaviours by a group of players I've ever witnessed in the sport (they are running the asylum)).

+ Unprecedented comments by past players (supported by current players) around his team selections on social media

+ Since 2017, has had a .400 winning record, putting him statistically on a roller coaster down the aggregated coaches rankings through history

+ Juniors situation a debacle. When Segeyaro stated Des hadn't even spoken to him about what was required, that should have indicated red flags

+ Made the finals 2 years of his last 5
Is that you Zorba?

What makes it a Not non story is the confirmation that his extension has been quashed or .... remember the last time Penn delayed a Dessie contract ....
I'll have to read the article.

From the quote you have it seems to me that the automatic extension wont be applied (the one for making the 8 this year). Nothing about an extension itself being quashed.

Reads more as lets get to the table and talk extension rather than just triggering a KPI extension that wasnt met.

Buuuut I should probably read the article.

Last time I heard Penn talk about it he said something along the lines of 'the job is Dessie's as long as he wants it provided we continue to enjoy success'. Someone else may have the exact quote but there was a very big proviso in it.
I expect Penn would have no issue cutting Dessie as long as there was no financial downside to The Family.

??? Who

You talking Sione Fainu who couldn't get a run here and can't get a run at the Tigers?

Or Taupau who has been told he is not in our future plans and saw an opportunity for a longer contract

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4