Harper's been so bad he needs to go

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Leave them all be. We were never in the running for the premiership this year. Des is still building the team and structures and we'll give it a serious go in 2022 or 2023: if the world lasts that long.

The young and, relatively, inexperienced players in the team will be none the worse for waking up to the pain of defeat. Next year they'll be older, more determined, and battle hardened.

What you saw today is more the kind of performances Tom would offer under the previous speed of the game and set defensive lines, along with more depth in the quality of teams and hardened youngsters not lacking game time from Covid lockdown.

Tom is an exceptional player but in saying that his numbers are in many respects inflated due to the above.
As are many other stars of the game TC. The game these days is all about entertainment and the stars shine as they have advantages to do so. Watching last night I was at a point where I thought “this is not the sport I grew up loving” zero advantage for great legs tackles in fact legs tackles are penalized by quick play the balls. So many times I saw us put in effort to make great tackles, yet there’s no reward as players voice to their feet like touch footy.

As are many other stars of the game TC. The game these days is all about entertainment and the stars shine as they have advantages to do so. Watching last night I was at a point where I thought “this is not the sport I grew up loving” zero advantage for great legs tackles in fact legs tackles are penalized by quick play the balls. So many times I saw us put in effort to make great tackles, yet there’s no reward as players voice to their feet like touch footy.
Thought the same after Aloiai pulled off a cracking tackle around the legs then had to fight to get back to marker and was almost called out of the play.The NRL have a high tackle crackdown but don’t reward a good old fashioned grass cutter

Harper,Saab,Croker,Sipley,Olakau'atu,Schuster are essentially playing their first true seasons of a full NRL year,they are jaded and we should have probably not worried so much about a top 4 finish and in hindsight given them some rest before the finals but it is what it is.
They will bounce back,maybe we should not crucify them just yet and accept that it is part of the learning curve,I said to a mate yesterday that I thought it could go badly for us with so many guys in their first season and so little finals experience in the whole squad.
Everyone has to get baptized at some point....
In a strange way I sort of prefer to lose now and come back at them to see what we have really got,if we had managed to beat them and had to play them again this year,I guarantee they would have got us the second time(maybe they still will tho)
Got beaten up front,Finucane.Bromwich and Welch showed us up,as much as I like Marty I think Paseka taking them on might have been a better option.
We need to play with more agro through the middle next time,establish some dominance and be a little more patient(less errors helps too)

I usually agree with much you post, BR, but I have to disagree on this one. Turbo was truly awful tonight. Turbo's lost ball on half way at the point we finally turned momentum at 18-6 was a killer. His horrible pass to Garrick with no space against the sideline 5m out on attack... his complete lack of involvement in so many sets in attack (when he has been handling the ball 2-3 times per set all season), his lack of interest or competitiveness in picking up a Storm knock on and counterattacking, his failure to stop Bromich up top for that second try after Harper had stopped him around the legs, his only proactive competitive effort when the team was behind the eight-ball all night had to wait until the 65th minute when he tried to run onto the ball 5m out on the 5th. And he was lucky on that held call when he was dragged across the touchline. Turbo was mentally beaten tonight and he succumbed so easily. All that mental desire that drove him after the Corso and giving up drinks completely deserted him tonight. No, he is certainly not the cause of our loss tonight, but boy he was a big missing part.
To his defence he did run 150m and only one of only a couple manly players to run over 100m. I don't think he was awful, we just have such high expectations of him. In saying that it was his worst performance of the year!

I don’t think you get rid of a player because of one bad game.

He’s only young and very inexperienced, he’ll be hurting , he’ll learn.

And let’s face it he was up against Olam who is a beast of a player.
It wasn't that Olam dominated him, it was his dropped balls and mis reads in defence that are a concern. Cronk actually pointed this exact defensive issue prior to the game, Des and co must be aware of it. Then add in all the dropped balls and I'd be concerned if I was him.

The game looked really slow as a whole which can only be down to the officiating. It was much more 2019 than Valandry ball of 2021.

I don't blame the ref for the loss but gee they helped the storm a lot. Wrestle back. skinny 10. missing foul play, as mentioned above toms drop was a hand from the storm. the leg twist on tom was akin to the croc roll that the scum were famous for. hardly any set restarts????? WTF...... and when we did get one it should have been a penalty for direct foul play, not just a set restart on the first which means nothing.
100% agree.
And if one of our players cops a high shot, stay down to get a penalty like the Storm did. Both Walker & Garrick should have done this so the bunker could have reviewed & given the on field ref the tip.

Last edited:
100% agree.
And if one of our players cops a high shot, stay down to get a penalty like the Storm did. Both Walker & Garrick should have done this so the bunker could have reviewed & given the on filed ref the tip.
There was one penalty awarded to the Storm for a high tackle that the ref clearly gestured that it was across the chest/shoulders then a second later,after the Storm players whinged and I assume got word from a touchie who was further away,changed his decision

He will be fine next week.

Deserves a chance at redemption.

I said two weeks ago and stand by it Harper, Schuster and Guac should of all been rested lasted week because they have had a long season and they are young. I also think Foran should not of played last week.

Apart from resting those named it would of given Suli, Walker, Keppie and Siro more game time and match fitness.

Almost nothing to lose.

On the bright side the storm has paid Parker a compliment by not targeting him in defence as they knew he would handle almost everything they would throw at him

I doubt they even considered the opposition.

Who is the "go to" man from Remis Smith or Justin Olam - might of been a massive tip as to which side they would attack from.

Even Barrett would of seen that coming.

I'm backing Harper to bounce back .. bigger and better.

Except for when he plays against Olam ... Olam is a beast and is a wrecking ball of the highest order ...

It wasn't that Olam dominated him, it was his dropped balls and mis reads in defence that are a concern. Cronk actually pointed this exact defensive issue prior to the game, Des and co must be aware of it. Then add in all the dropped balls and I'd be concerned if I was him.
Sorry his misreads were DCE's fault in the main - DCE was too far forward on the Pap try just before half time and if you look - DCE had a few other misreads - even getting tangled up with a decoy runner early on.

Hard call to replace Harper with most likely Suli . very average against the Cowboys but completely out of sorts last night . Confidence level would be shot even more if replaced but no second chances for the side next week if he is a weak link again . Has of course had a previously solid and good season , albeit regularly against some fairly average sides and back lines but surely can do much better then last night . Also difficult to include Suli on the bench if Croker is available again and Lawton reverts there . Just has to be a judgement call on the team "s best interests , persevere with an out of form player who could bounce back or include a centre in Suli who could even prove a game breaker

Last night was a train wreck, even given that Melb were the benchmark all season, every Manly player did not rise to the occasion. It is a reality check. Whilst we have over achieved this season, to be frank, we are not yet at the level of consistent play as Melb and a full strength Penrith team.

Yes I truly believe we will win next week but last night was a clear confirmation we are not a Premiership winning team yet.

Proud of the boys, been a great test of character and mateship to get to this point so lets all give this team a break and not criticise individual players, not demand players being dropped and replaced. The players themselves would have been shattered after that performance. Maybe it will bond them for bigger and greater things.

As supporters of this great club, lets us actually support our team at their moment of need. Lets all of ask RUOK?

Everyone needs a deep breath - we play Tits or East next week and regroup- the GF is in 3 weeks time
It's not the end of the world
It is not the end of the world .

It is the rebuilding of our premiership winning team

Speaking of centres Harper and Parker are good club players but they not are premiership winning finals players

They were both exposed to to the greater finals level and they were both failed to deliver

Parker is predictable and slow and does not have tackle bust power

And Harper is also exposed to superior speed and powerful backs

Crocker will be back next week but he is also a good club player but he is a level below and does not have the finals game class of grant Grant , Smith and Api

The Moral of the story ....

Fringe players can only take you so far and superior players will take you all the way

It is not the end of the world .

It is the rebuilding of our premiership winning team

Speaking of centres Harper and Parker are good club players but they not are premiership winning finals players

They were both exposed to to the greater finals level and they were both failed to deliver

Parker is predictable and slow and does not have tackle bust power

And Harper is also exposed to superior speed and powerful backs

Crocker will be back next week but he is also a good club player but he is a level below and does not have the finals game class of grant Grant , Smith and Api

The Moral of the story ....

Fringe players can only take you so far and superior players will take you all the way
The centres were ordinary last night, more so Mr Harper....but I wouldn't write him off just yet. No doubt Bellamy had Storm go at them often, but truth be known, the crumbling defence around the middle was where the rot started...I mean the crash ball plays were soft finals tries and there's NO team in the history of rugby league where the outside backs will shine if the middle is dominated and that includes the supposed shutdown of Tom T....he was limited by his own forwards not being allowed into the contest, more so than any Amazing Storm defensive structure.

Members online

No members online now.
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4