Gordon Chan Kum Tong

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Next question: as a Mormon is he subject to the Will Hopoate style mission?
His Mormon mission is to win a grand final for Manly
and spread the word and inspire other great junior players to come and play for our legendary club

Maybe premature but I saw more from Gordie in Friday’s trial than I have from Croker in 3 years
You obviously missed the match with the Cowboys when Froggy was rated a 10 out of 10 for his great performance. And didn't Froggy win Manly's Player of the Year in 2022?
I think it's fine to pump up the potential of Gordon but it's not befitting to denigrate the commitment and ability of Froggy who, last season, was one of the few players you could count on to have a crack.
There may come a time when both players are in our top 13.

You obviously missed the match with the Cowboys when Froggy was rated a 10 out of 10 for his great performance. And didn't Froggy win Manly's Player of the Year in 2022?
I think it's fine to pump up the potential of Gordon but it's not befitting to denigrate the commitment and ability of Froggy who, last season, was one of the few players you could count on to have a crack.
Round one would be nice @The Who

I’m in awe of where the Frog has come from to where he is now.

But I do think he needs a rest and that’ll either be Lawton or Gordie , both of whom won’t be available for the first 3 months.

Last edited:
Next question: as a Mormon is he subject to the Will Hopoate style mission?
That's optional, but highly encouraged. I remember when Wil said he was doing his Brent Kite said he told Wil that there are other ways to honour god and that playing football and being a good role model was an alternative, but if he's devoted enough he might.

Why can't they do their mission in their 30s? Is it like schoolies? Or is devoting their life to philanthropy for decades after footy not as worthy as taking a year off at 23? Never understood the timing of it that's all, no offence intended

Why can't they do their mission in their 30s? Is it like schoolies? Or is devoting their life to philanthropy for decades after footy not as worthy as taking a year off at 23? Never understood the timing of it that's all, no offence intended

Just guessing .. but probably to get it done before marriage, kids, career and life interferes..

Great to hear he is signed up but crazy that he isn’t part of the top 30 this year. I mean we have Morgan Boyle in that 30 who has played 10 games in 3 years and even when fully fit, is hardly part of our top 17-21 players anyway.

Another year with only the one hooker in the squad who will make 50 tackles a game and one run every 6 weeks. Maybe premature but I saw more from Gordie in Friday’s trial than I have from Croker in 3 years, and I reckon he’ll go even better this weekend playing with most of the first grade squad. Hopefully he puts up another good showing so he can push for selection whenever it is allowed later on in the season.
He is on development contract so he can play from round 11 onwards without an exemption.

I see that Gordon's name full is Gordon Tyrell Chan Kum Tong - GTCKT!

As I've mentioned elsewhere, his brother has reduced his name from Johnathon Chan Kum Tong to Jonathon Chan. It appears that would be easier for Gordon also.

Last edited:

He was outstanding in that Cowboys match but those types of performances, where he does more than just make tackles and pass from dummy half are too few and far between. Certainly not questioning his commitment or even the fact he deserved player of the year (not saying much given the season we had) but I just don't think we can win a comp with him as our main hooker. And I know a lot more goes into winning a comp but it's an extremely important position - look at the teams with Grant, Koroisau, Cook, Robson and how they perform each week.

I do think they can work in tandem initially if Croker starts the first 20-30 minutes and Gordie comes on to wreck havoc. Just glad we can even have these types of discussions after the last few years where it wouldn't have even been a possibility.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4