General NRL chat

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Penrith Panthers legend Royce Simmons has confirmed the sad news he's been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.

Simmons, synonymous with the Panthers memorable 1991 grand final win over Canberra, revealed the news while declaring his plans to raise money for Dementia Australia by organising a charity walk of close to 300km from his home town of Goolagong to Penrith.

Kitey doing some silly things

Almost unheard of.
This might be some sort of record.
Am I dreaming?
An NRL player who achieved fame as a Manly Sea Eagle, in trouble with cops... but the story shows him in other clubs' colours, not Manly's!

The story will probably be updated as soon as the editor sees this terrible mistake.

True but Turbo has made Man everyone's favourite team or 2nd favourite team all of a sudden. And if that's not exactly true then it should be. LOL

Kitey always struck me as that super calm under pressure kind of guy. It may be viewed as minor, but Im still surprised. Kitey.

I guess in these covid times who knows. May be he has started following Qanon and decided why pay rego, tax's or co-operate with the cops. If the virus isn't fake he'll be dead any way, and if that doesn't take him, then the 5G rays will.

NRL announced Covid protocols to get through an outbreak.
Teams can access 6 development players and players from their feeder club if "proven" Covid cases mean they can't put together a full side if hit by Covid.
They can access them from round 1, but it must be proven unavailable players have tested positive from Covid.
Wonder if the clubs using QRL sides have to have one nominated club as some place their players in more than one club.

NRL announced Covid protocols to get through an outbreak.
Teams can access 6 development players and players from their feeder club if "proven" Covid cases mean they can't put together a full side if hit by Covid.
They can access them from round 1, but it must be proven unavailable players have tested positive from Covid.
Wonder if the clubs using QRL sides have to have one nominated club as some place their players in more than one club.
Seems reasonable

Talk that the NRL are playing favourites again.

Latrell Mitchell's suspension to now allow for the All Star's exhibition match to count.
So one less match - 5 instead of 6

Talk that the NRL are playing favourites again.

Latrell Mitchell's suspension to now allow for the All Star's exhibition match to count.
So one less match - 5 instead of 6
Posted in another thread but I think it is entirely reasonable

Politis, Peponis quit NSWRL board over election dispute

The NSWRL is in tatters after the sudden resignation of two of the game’s most respected figures, director Nick Politis and chairman George Peponis, over a controversial boardroom stoush.

ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys has vowed to investigate the NSWRL board election if a complaint is made about the state’s decision to block Cronulla chief executive Dino Mezzatesta from running for a position.

The battle for power at the NSWRL has divided the organisation, with Mezzatesta blocked from running for election on the board because of an alleged conflict of interest.

Sources with knowledge of the situation say the incident has infuriated Peponis and Politis, who are believed to have resigned as a result of the treatment of Mezzatesta. The pair were also unhappy that Deborah Healy, the only female director on the NSWRL board, lost her position yesterday to William “Smiley” Johnstone as part of the rationalisation of the NSWRL and Country Rugby League boards following their amalgamation in 2019.

“I’m disappointed but I feel like I can leave the organisation having achieved a lot,” Peponis told the Herald after almost a decade in the top job.

“We have won three of the last four Origins. We amalgamated with the Country Rugby League to make one state body. We’ve grown female participation, introduced the women’s competition and built a centre of excellence that is the benchmark of sport in this country.

“I was only going to stay on for a couple more years anyway because I feel we have achieved what I wanted to achieve. I’m not leaving having not achieved anything.“

The NSWRL held its annual general meeting on Friday afternoon, with Geoff Gerard and Politis re-elected unopposed despite strong support for Mezzatesta to take a position. Politis later resigned, meaning there are now no representatives on the board who are directly affiliated with an NRL club.

“I don’t agree with the way they treated George and the way to whole election process went down,” Politis said.

“There’s still a question mark on whether what the board did was legally correct and whether they had the right to override the constitution.”

The boardroom battle could now spill over to the NRL, with V’landys expected to reconsider funding of the NSWRL if it is found it has not followed proper procedure.

“If someone complains to us, we’ll certainly investigate them,” V’landys said. “Corporate governance is paramount in any organisation. Any organisation that we fund, if someone complains about corporate governance of that organisation, we will investigate it. I’m not sure if we have the power over these organisations but we fund them.”

Mezzatesta nominated for the board on January 20, but the NSWRL waited until 48 hours out from voting to notify him that he was ineligible to run due to an alleged conflict of interest.

The NSWRL claims he is ineligible to run because he is a paid employee of an affiliated club. It’s understood Mezzatesta denies there is a conflict and has sought legal advice.

Sources with knowledge of the constitution said independent directors aren’t allowed to be employees of a club, however there is no such restrictions imposed on elected nominees.

The potential election of Mezzatesta could have spelt trouble for chief executive Dave Trodden, who is understood to have lost the support of Peponis and Politis.

The re-election of Gerard, however, is expected to safeguard Trodden’s future.

Sources with knowledge of Friday’s annual general meeting said Mezzatesta intervened when it was announced that he was ineligible.

He then asked the chair to note the events that took place from the day he nominated on January 20.

Peponis noted it and agreed to look into the matter further before returning to Mezzatesta with an answer.

When contacted by the Herald on Friday, Mezzatesta acknowledged the chair would look into the matter and was awaiting a response. He declined to comment on whether he would be taking legal action against the NSWRL.

“I’m not prepared to make any comments until such time when I know what the NSWRL position is,” he said.

The Roosters have extended the contract of coach Trent Robinson by a whopping five years.

Robinson was signed to the end of season 2023, but the new deal ties him to the Bondi club until the end of 2028.

Robinson is already the longest serving coach in Roosters history, having taken the reins from Brian Smith in 2013.

The Roosters have extended the contract of coach Trent Robinson by a whopping five years.

Robinson was signed to the end of season 2023, but the new deal ties him to the Bondi club until the end of 2028.

Robinson is already the longest serving coach in Roosters history, having taken the reins from Brian Smith in 2013.

Smart

If John Schuster is fit and available, he should be playing.
Same with Andrew Davey, he is a solid defender, reads the flow of the game very well.
Are the Fainu boys available.
Is Josh Aloiai suspended?
Manly needed some mongrel against the Panthers' foul tactics in Rnd 1 2022.
Is Ben Trbojevic a worthy player to be on the team.?
Dylan Walker is still at Manly for 2022? He goes to the Warriors in 2023.
Will Des make a few changes for next week's game?
Des needs to get some 'legal' mongrel into the team.
The Refs that 'controlled' the Broncos v Rabbitohs Rnd1 game on 11/03/22, were penalising players for illegal play that the Panthers were allowed to 'get away with' against an under siege Manly team the night before.
I'm being objective with my observations.
Even teams / clubs that I despise deserve to get fair and correct decisions from Referees.

Schu is still out I think..... Davey has to get a start on the bench this week.. if Boyle is in front of him in the pecking order that will do me. We don't need any more one dimensional forwards in the rotation. Boyle is just the same as Keppie who is the same as Sipley who is the same as Paseka. Just ok in attack.. will cart it up... really wont bend the line hugely.. will be ok in defence but will not be everywhere in defence or be rushing out of the line. Keppie is the one slight difference given he can actually smash in defence but his defensive energy and willingness to do multiple tackles and chase across to close a hole is like the rest of those mentioned... very very sub par. Agree we need some Aloiai injection of nastiness and Keppie needs to step up with some controlled aggression and some tough carries. Paseka needs to somehow grow up and play with some anger and agression. Sipley needs to get back off the long run and smash it into the defence. Croker needs to run........ run rabbit run... at least look like you might be a threat and take some pressure off the ball carrier. Davey needs to be.. Davey and just give a high effort high energy performance and embarass the rest besides Jake, Marty, O and maybe Bullemor into greatly improving their effort.

Davey is still somewhat of an unknown. He had a very impressive backend of 2020 for the Eels and certainly appears to have the right attitude. I hope he can cement a spot in the 17 this year.
Maybe I am living on hope... that he is what he was. He is high energy... he is tough... he is a take no prisoners... he is a guy you want in the trenches... he is all effort... he will tackle all day....he will run to gaps.... but at his age and after the op does he still have the leg speed needed. Big ifs... but gee we need someone to help Jake with the effort. Then we need a cracker up Croker's butt and Des should say if you don't run 3/4 times per half each time after a big ruck has been taken and bent the line I will drag you and you wont play for a month.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4