General NRL chat

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
As poster by @40 years an eagle in the signings thread...

Tevita Pangai jnr looms as the latest big name to join the Belmore rebuild with a release from Brisbane to take up a three-year Bulldogs deal in the works.

and also...

Meanwhile the Bulldogs are closing in on the signature of former Dragons prop Paul Vaughan.

It 'feels' like the dogs are assembling a decent team (although they said that about the Knights a few years ago) so maybe Trent will get some better results. Still need to be a good coach though (unless you're mal and the s.o.o. side).

The buying of a sacked player is always a weird one to me.

1 club terminates a contract based on actions not deemed acceptable by their own and nrl standards... then immediately another team goes 'yay....bonus player!' and snaps them up.

Depends on what the nrl does re contract approval, I guess.

As poster by @40 years an eagle in the signings thread...

Tevita Pangai jnr looms as the latest big name to join the Belmore rebuild with a release from Brisbane to take up a three-year Bulldogs deal in the works.

and also...

Meanwhile the Bulldogs are closing in on the signature of former Dragons prop Paul Vaughan.

It 'feels' like the dogs are assembling a decent team (although they said that about the Knights a few years ago) so maybe Trent will get some better results. Still need to be a good coach though (unless you're mal and the s.o.o. side).

The buying of a sacked player is always a weird one to me.

1 club terminates a contract based on actions not deemed acceptable by their own and nrl standards... then immediately another team goes 'yay....bonus player!' and snaps them up.

Depends on what the nrl does re contract approval, I guess.
It is all very well to pay overs for Burton, JAC, Cotric, TPJ. Vaughan etc, etc, but they are mercenaries. Without a spine they will go nowhere. Even their 13 is a big money defender without ball-skills Until they land a 1/2, a 9 and a FB (JAC is not a FB's maid) they will lose far more than they will win...even with a top shelf coach. They can't possibly have enough money left to buy a good spine unless they have the Rorters accounting skills.

How do Melbourne fit all their spine players in when fully fit?
Smith, Grant, Hughes, Munster, Hynes and Papenhuyzen.
Smith to 13 and Hynes to centre is an option but more likely one or two of them come off the bench. One hell of a selection headache. Staggering to think one of them could miss out.

SPOTTED

Ex-Canterbury coach Dean Pay is now driving a truck to make a living, no doubt wondering what might have been if he’d had the salary cap space to sign Matt Burton, Tevita Pangai-Junior, Josh Addo-Carr and Paul Vaughan rather than inherit the roster mess from previous management.

from Booze's column

KICKER CRACKDOWN

Here we go again … another NRL crackdown!!!

In the lead-up to the finals the NRL has put clubs and players on notice about unnecessary dangerous contact with kickers in general play.

Although not a new rule, the NRL this week notified clubs that the judiciary chairman has issued updated directions clarifying that defenders have a responsibility to avoid contact with kickers that carries any unacceptable risk of injury.

This particularly applies when kickers are off balance or have one or both feet off the ground.

The contact does not need to be high. Any contact after the ball has been kicked can be considered dangerous. In fairness the NRL can’t afford to have key playmakers knocked out of the game.

Titans winger and fan favourite Anthony Don announces his retirement at a teary press conference on the Gold Coast

Rugby league champion James Maloney has announced his retirement at age 35.

Maloney posted the news on his social media channels on Tuesday (AEST) and he will hang up the boots and depart Catalans where he has spent the past two years.

“The time has come to hang up the boots from professional footy,” Maloney wrote.

“It’s been one hell of a ride and I’ve loved every minute of it. Thanks to everyone who has played a part in my career along the way, most importantly my beautiful wife Jess Maloney who has been there from the start.”

Signings Storm just announced - Jordan Grant a reserve grade prop aged 27, Josh King, an occasional Knights prop aged 26, Bronson Garlick, a reserve grade hooker aged 25, and Lumelume a 23 year old winger with only 3 NRL games. And last week they got Meaney, a 23 year old from the wooden spooners.

Bellamy must be almost as bad as Des. Just goes for mediocre plodders, no idea about giving exciting youth a chance. ;)

Saw this on another site but Cowboys had not only Ponga in their Junior system but Kikau and Brandon Smith. Maybe they need a list manager
B06FA411-ADE7-4B8F-A256-3F3EC51939AA.jpeg

The Dally M Awards will be held over two nights for the first time with Fox Sports broadcasting both events.

A made-for-television event will be broadcast on Monday night which will crown a number of award winners before the Dally M Medal will be announced at a gala ceremony at Howard Smith Wharves in Brisbane seven days later on September 27.

The first television event will provide a greater spotlight on the supporting awards, including the Try and Tackle of the Year fan-voted gongs, that are traditionally crowned on Dally M night and build excitement towards the Dally M Medal count a week later.

Having two events will be a unique opportunity to celebrate the best performances of 2021, according to NRL CEO Andrew Abdo.

"The Dally M Awards showcase the exceptional performances of the season and this year we can celebrate the achievements of our players and officials across two events," he said.

Interesting signings for Cowboys....a couple of exciting Rugby 7's players....
Iosefo Masikau and Taniela Sadrugu will arrive in North Queensland for pre-season in November and will train full-time alongside the Cowboys NRL squad for the duration of the 2022 season.

See Bulldogs picked up Braiden Burns

They are just collecting outside backs Dufty, Addo-Carr, Cotric, Allen, Burns, Schoupp, Tui Katoa, Okunbur (who is admittedly awful).

If Averillo aint in the halves probs be fighting for a centre spot

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4