[Resurrected] Garrick general news thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Injuries always occur. What fantastic backup Parker & Harper would be.
In 1972, our centres were Fulton & Branighan with Thoroughgood & Hill as reserve grade backups. Our 2021 NRL centres, Parker & Harper, are a similar standard to those two 1972 reserve graders (IMO).

This year, Koula has been an excellent upgrade. We need another class centre to have a premiership capable team. Hopefully, Garrick at centre will work - at least he has the speed to capitalise on early ball.

I note that JAC is still on the wing despite apparently being on fullback money now.

This is true, but I think every club would love to have JAC playing for them. A try scorer & a crowd pleaser!

Holmes is on fullback money @ 1M, but is playing in the centres. Still, he is great value for the Cowboys - a matchwinnner & accomplished goalkicker.

Last edited:
In 1972, our centres were Fulton & Branighan with Thoroughgood & Hill as reserve grade backups. Our 2021 NRL centres, Parker & Harper, are a similar standard to those two 1972 reserve graders (IMO).

This year, Koula has been an excellent upgrade. We need another class centre to have a premiership capable team. Hopefully, Garrick at centre will work - at least he has the speed to capitalise on early ball.
I think you are underestimating Thoroughgood a tad there!

Just sayin’

The Sunday Telegraph has learnt that Garrick has agreed to stay at Manly for the next five seasonswith the 25-year-old committing to a four-year extension.
Till the end of 2027 - must be a good deal for Reuben! I would suggest those extra four seasons will be at least 400k p.a. (or maybe towards 500k?) It shows that management has high regard for him. The positive feature of Reuben is that he is likely to continue improving as a player.

The upgrades are gradually rolling out. Hopefully, a new deal with Kaeo will be announced soon.

Last edited:
garrick extending saab extending this can't be real as we were told by the Hasler apologists in the media that the players love him and some would leave if he was sacked lol.

Garrick had a chance to leave and play his favorite position yet chose to extend after Hasler sacking tells me the morale must be pretty good at the club.

No doubt some players loved him but coaches come coaches go and we are in no worse a position for the changes the club has made.

I have not look forward to trial matches like I will be for next season as players in most positions will have to earn places we will not get the Des usual suspects team for the first round which is exciting for us and must be super motivating for the players.

Last edited:
garrick extending saab extending this can't be real as we were told by the Hasler apologists in the media that the players love him and some would leave if he was sacked lol.

Garrick had a chance to leave and play his favorite position yet chose to extend after Hasler sacking tells me the morale must be pretty good at the club.

No doubt some players loved him but coaches come coaches go and we are in no worse a position for the changes the club has made.

I have not look forward to trial matches like I will be for next season as players in most players will have to earn positions we will not get the Des usual suspects team for the first round which is exciting for us and must be super motivating for the players.

Big thing for me to learn .. is .. what style of football Seibold is going to want .. and which players does he think are the best suited to achieve it.

Is he a fan of Schuster style, will he change it ... does he see Jake as a lock or prop .. does he give Saab a pass for his defence in return for his attack. .. Will he want more grunt less cuddling in the forwards ... will we go to 3 men in a tackle ... will winning the middle wrestle be more important .

The questions are endless ..

Does any student of the game have a good handle on the tpye of stlye he favoured at Souff's or Broncos ??

Garrick at centre wont work, why move him away from the wing where he is a prolific try scoring winger for the team.

Garrick is a Centre playing wing! He’s played centre his whole junior years & at St George before coming to Manly….so yeah it would work. I think a Garrick / Koula Centre pairing could be great!

Garrick was pretty average when I watched him play in the centres a while ago ... but then again, he was pretty average at fullback for a while as well ..

But he is a different player now .. has put on a few kg's of muscle and a tonne of confidence ... might take him a few games to adjust to the different demands of the position ... but I'm not betting against him at this stage ...

and if successful it gives us a pretty potent backline ..

Garrick at centre wont work, why move him away from the wing where he is a prolific try scoring winger for the team.
I agree that wing is Garrick's best position.

However, there is no harm in him having a go in the centres. He has played only one NRL game there since joining Manly. It was not inspiring as were his first few games at fullback.

It appears to me that versatility in the outside backs is a bonus for teams. Turbo can easily play fullback, centre or wing as can Koula, and maybe also Weekes & Garrick?

But he is a different player now .. has put on a few kg's of muscle and a tonne of confidence ... might take him a few games to adjust to the different demands of the position ... but I'm not betting against him at this stage
The positive is that he is a superior athlete to both Harper & Parker. Harper probably has better footwork than Garrick, but lacks Garrick's pace.

I agree that wing is Garrick's best position.

However, there is no harm in him having a go in the centres. He has played only one NRL game there since joining Manly. It was not inspiring as were his first few games at fullback.

It appears to me that versatility in the outside backs is a bonus for teams. Turbo can easily play fullback, centre or wing as can Koula, and maybe also Weekes & Garrick?
Garrick's been their a while now, he's really made the wing his home. Also, we would be crazy shifting Turbo to the centres, he's far more dangerous at FB. Will be interesting to see what Siebold does with player placements in the backs come the trials in Feb.

Big thing for me to learn .. is .. what style of football Seibold is going to want .. and which players does he think are the best suited to achieve it.

Is he a fan of Schuster style, will he change it ... does he see Jake as a lock or prop .. does he give Saab a pass for his defence in return for his attack. .. Will he want more grunt less cuddling in the forwards ... will we go to 3 men in a tackle ... will winning the middle wrestle be more important .

Does any student of the game have a good handle on the tpye of stlye he favoured at Souff's or Broncos ??
Well we've got used to a couple of players that favoured the turn style, so hopefully not that.

Sorry @Woodsie, after 60 odd years, I'm still failing in my studies of the game.

Very sophisticated footy brain....maybe to the point that floats over your average player to a degree.
Was well respected for a reason and his observation of the game is first class, but his translation to players is the issue.
Maybe wiser through some hard times which can define a person and just maybe, this could switch players on for 2023 and personally, I'm excited to see some changes, as there has been a footy team I support big time and have been found uninspiring to watch in 2022.
Well worth a shot imo.

Very sophisticated footy brain....maybe to the point that floats over your average player to a degree.
Was well respected for a reason and his observation of the game is first class, but his translation to players is the issue.
Maybe wiser through some hard times which can define a person and just maybe, this could switch players on for 2023 and personally, I'm excited to see some changes, as there has been a footy team I support big time and have been found uninspiring to watch in 2022.
Well worth a shot imo.
How can we go wrong??!!

Seibold has a very sophisticated footy brain.
Flanagan knows all about player growth ....... and regrowth.
and
Dymock's ..... well read.

I can't wait.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10