[Resurrected] Garrick general news thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
I kinda like the idea of Garrick at centre, but... He's been great from the wing at bringing the ball back from his own line, he's really improved in this part of his game. I'm not sure we currently have anyone else as effective as him. An upgrade is a win/win for him, he gets to play centre on centre money and if it goes tits up and he's not that great he goes back to the wing still on centre money

I kinda like the idea of Garrick at centre, but... He's been great from the wing at bringing the ball back from his own line, he's really improved in this part of his game. I'm not sure we currently have anyone else as effective as him. An upgrade is a win/win for him, he gets to play centre on centre money and if it goes tits up and he's not that great he goes back to the wing still on centre money
Garrick's an out and out try finishing winger, Tommy will be setting him up for years to come.

Not too sure of the premise [ or thought i noticed it somewhere ] where Garrick would be a is t choice centre and Koula and others fighting it out for the other spot . Koula would be that far ahead of any other contender based on last season , and especially Rueben. May have played there a junior and junior rep level but to just assume that he would be an automatic success as a i st grade centre , just would have to be quite wishful thinking on any perspective . So on these reports Rueben would or could expect say 500 plus k per season as a Manly centre and maybe comparable to any Knights offer . Would have thought maybe 400 K as a reliable Manly goal kicking winger and if he most likely ends up back there if he can not prove better then Parker or Harper , again then a 500 K plus Manly winger based on these very probable increased Manly offer range . Defence , positional play , not saying it would be beyond him to adequately transition to centre but would again tend to be on the very doubtful way of thinking .

Not too sure of the premise [ or thought i noticed it somewhere ] where Garrick would be a is t choice centre and Koula and others fighting it out for the other spot . Koula would be that far ahead of any other contender based on last season , and especially Rueben. May have played there a junior and junior rep level but to just assume that he would be an automatic success as a i st grade centre , just would have to be quite wishful thinking on any perspective . So on these reports Rueben would or could expect say 500 plus k per season as a Manly centre and maybe comparable to any Knights offer . Would have thought maybe 400 K as a reliable Manly goal kicking winger and if he most likely ends up back there if he can not prove better then Parker or Harper , again then a 500 K plus Manly winger based on these very probable increased Manly offer range . Defence , positional play , not saying it would be beyond him to adequately transition to centre but would again tend to be on the very doubtful way of thinking .
Based on what? If you don't ask the question you'll never know the answer. Koula looked the goods last season but you need two centres and none of the others look like being consistent first grade quality

Dont like it, Garrick is good player, good influence and his goalkicking is important.

If it was something silly like a Young Swap and Klemmer released (and we could fit him in) maybe.

If they go hard at him for 24 then so be it but no need to let him go early.

As an aside I don't see this as a goid move for the Knights. I mean Garrick is great but Ponga has far from convinced me at 5/8. If you move him and it doesn't work, what you move him back and have Garrick as a 5-600k winger...risky.

Knights should be focusing on a half
Pongas last stint in the halves ended badly, I don't see it being any different 2nd time around

This is where the lines of control are misconceived because what is required are established systems with clear lines of authority. That's why the stubborn approach of "my way or the highway" by the coach is antiquated and dysfunctional. The club needs a system in which all of the levels of management and coaching are working towards the same goals and with application of a clear and identified systems and mandates. If the club invests money in a player on the basis of that player being utilised in a particular position then the coach should be obliged to give it a go.

If unsuccessful then it should be raised at meeting between coaching staff and management and a endorsed decision made that it is not successful. That is because it directly affects a financial significant investment made by the club and a promise it has properly made during negotiations which a player in terms of you'll get a shot at that position.

The coach should not be involved in the management of the cap nor determine ultimately who is or is not signed. The coach is a employee of the club there do a job for his employer which is to bring the best out of the players he has been provided. He should certainty be consulted and his view heard and considered but ultimately it is not his decision as to who is signed. General team selections are for the coaching staff but a coach should be consulting his assistants and not only hearing their views but respecting them.

So yes management do have a say in respect of team selections because they invest a great deal of money and resources into developing players over years to reach this level and those long terms plans should not be scuttled unilaterally by a coach who has different ideas. This would undermine the work done over years rendering the system futile. Yes sure sometimes things don't go to plan but jettisoning long term plans needs to be a collective decision.

Based on what? If you don't ask the question you'll never know the answer. Koula looked the goods last season but you need two centres and none of the others look like being consistent first grade quality
if he can improve his agility in defence and somehow use or be in a position to use his good outside type swerve - acceleration maybe . Just has not been the slightest indication of Ruben being tried as a Manly centre previously and again realize the club is understandably very keen to retain him but some type of an assurance as a centre , Unusual one .

I still have a big ? over his defence. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The other side of Manly's big offer is it ups the ante if the Knights are that desperate.
I've no doubt we do genuinely want to retain Garrick but he won't be our fullback.
The Knights can give us someone worthwhile if they are that keen.

I still have a big ? over his defence. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Can "t imagine Parker and Harper being happy little campers with this sort of speculation of Garrick being suddenly elevated to a starting centre role . Model player in many ways and ideal if he could continue as a probably more suited Manly wing - goal kicker for many more seasons , To his credit has gone naturally quite well as a stand in full back for a while now and that type of versatility does bring some additional benefits , contract wise .,

Can "t imagine Parker and Harper being happy little campers with this sort of speculation of Garrick being suddenly elevated to a starting centre role . Model player in many ways and ideal if he could continue as a probably more suited Manly wing - goal kicker for many more seasons , To his credit has gone naturally quite well as a stand in full back for a while now and that type of versatility does bring some additional benefits , contract wise .,
Well they either play out of their skin and force their way inyo the side (a win for Manly)

Or one of them seeks a release and frees up some cap space (a win for Manly)

Harper might have seen the writing on the wall once Des got the boot as he was brought in by Des from the Bulldogs from memory. But as a local jnr and a good mate of Turbo, that will be a real sore point for not just Parks. I like Garrick but his best attributes appear to be his goal kicking and ball running. He's reasonably safe under the high ball and his defence is still a work in progress in my mind. And I can't recall anything special about him setting up his wingers from FB. Anyway, I'm thinking the 1st pre season training session could be interesting.

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8