[Resurrected] Garrick general news thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Knights swoop for Manly’s Reuben Garrick, plot Kalyn Ponga switch​

The latest big move in the NRL transfer market could have big ramifications for two clubs — and a State of Origin star.

Newcastle is pushing for Manly’s Reuben Garrick to be granted an immediate release — a move that would allow Knights superstar Kalyn Ponga to shift directly into the halves.

Garrick, 25, has a contract at Brookvale for next season but the Knights are anxious for the prolific point scorer to play fullback next season.
Should Manly refuse to release Garrick, Newcastle would need to wait until November 1 — next Tuesday — to lodge a formal offer for 2024.
Newcastle has long-term interest in Garrick but the Knights’ interest would wane for 2024 if he’s not released by Manly for 2023.
The Daily Telegraph has been told talks between both clubs over Garrick are continuing.

Newcastle want Ponga in the halves but are unable to complete the switch until the club acquires a first string fullback. That, the club thinks, would be Garrick.

During such an unstable period at the club, Manly may be reluctant to allow crowd favourite Garrick to walk out – thus creating further headlines for the already embattled club.

Manly fullback Tom Trbojevic is recovering well from a season-ending shoulder injury and will certainly be fit and ready for round one next season.

In a text to The Daily Telegraph, Trbojevic wrote: “I am going well and, yes, I will be good to go for round one.”

It remains unknown whether his return will impact Manly’s decision over Garrick, who has ably substituted for Trbojevic in recent years.

Garrick is being paid winger’s money at Manly but could earn considerably more as a fullback.

The Sea Eagles have no immediate plans to release Garrick early but would carefully consider their position should the star player express a strong desire to play fullback.

Garrick won’t play fullback at Brookvale given he is behind Trbojevic with young Kaeo Weekes stamped as a future fullback along with Tolu Koula.

While no offer has been lodged, Manly has plans to extend Garrick.

The Sea Eagles may feel that letting Garrick depart now would leave the club short of depth in the outside backs.

Garrick scored 162 points this year and a stunning 334 points in 2021. He has spoken previously about an aspiration to play fullback.

When asked about playing fullback back in April, Garrick said: “I enjoy it. It’s a bit of a change-up from wing.”

Former Manly coach Des Hasler, when asked about Garrick switching to fullback, said in July: “Obviously Reuben still has that ability, he has that fitness and has that ability to turn up at different parts of the field, which is required of one to do these days (from fullback).”

Manly returns to off-season training in mid-November.

Speculation around Luke Brooks leaving for Newcastle refuses to dissipate despite constant denials by Wests Tigers management.

lol.... what the hell.

Knights want a contracted player from another club...and are pushing that club to release him.
(If not they have to wait a whole 7 days to make a formal offer for 2024)

"globaleagle wants access to everyone on ST's bank accounts and are pushing them to hand the information over."

I mean... the journalistic bar is on the ground people.

Dont like it, Garrick is good player, good influence and his goalkicking is important.

If it was something silly like a Young Swap and Klemmer released (and we could fit him in) maybe.

If they go hard at him for 24 then so be it but no need to let him go early.

As an aside I don't see this as a goid move for the Knights. I mean Garrick is great but Ponga has far from convinced me at 5/8. If you move him and it doesn't work, what you move him back and have Garrick as a 5-600k winger...risky.

Knights should be focusing on a half

Main problem if Garrick left is goalkicking, he is a gun in that area and it's so important nowadays.
We can cover the wing and back-up fullback with cheaper options.
(Knights would be crazy to let Dom Young go, assuming he's happy there.)

Does he really want to go to Newcastle?

If yes, let him go - he is an excellent winger but just a good fullback.

Imo Newcastle will be nett worse having him play fullback vs Ponga.

Last edited:

Manly’s bumper Reuben Garrick deal to stave off poachers​

The Manly Sea Eagles have reacted to poaching raids on flyer Reuben Garrick by tabling a bumper deal.

Manly have tabled flyer Reuben Garrick a bumper four-year deal which comes with a surprise positional switch.

The Sea Eagles will also flatly reject any bid for Garrick to be released early from his deal to join Newcastle next year.
The Sea Eagles have shown their intent in trying to make Garrick a key part of their long-term future as they try and starve off an approach from the Knights.
In doing so they will shift Garrick from wing to centre next season.
It is understood the Sea Eagles tabled the four year deal last week.
Manly boss Tony Mestrov confirmed Garrick was a priority re-signing.

“The club sees Reuben as a real leader,” Mestrov said. “We have a very good group of players that can vie for the top four year on year and we want him to be a leader in this group moving forward.

“He is a quality human being and a professional. From a cultural point he is also a very important player.”

Garrick has made it clear he wants to make a permanent shift away from the wing and play fullback. Newcastle will offer Garrick that chance which would lead to Kalyn Ponga moving to the halves

While his opportunities to play fullback at Manly are limited to filling in for superstar Tom Trbojevic, the Sea Eagles plan on moving Garrick to the centres next season.

Garrick has only started one of his 91 top grade games at centre but will get first crack at the spot leaving the likes of Morgan Harper, Brad Parker and Tolutau Koula to battle it out for the other position.

He played 14 games at fullback this year in Trbojevic’s absence.

“We’ve offered him a strong four year deal which would match any offer the Knights give him,” Mestrov said. “He wants to play fullback and obviously with Tom at Manly he can’t do that.

“However our offer is with the intention of playing Garrick at centre. He will play in the centres. He played all his junior representative football at centre. He is also an amazing goal-kicker which adds to the need to keep him.”

When asked if the club would entertain a release Mestrov simply said: “We won’t be releasing him”.

The Sea Eagles are keen on securing Garrick before the November 1 free agency period opens on Tuesday.

Trbojevic is recovering well from a season-ending shoulder injury and will certainly be fit and ready for round one next season.

The Manly Sea Eagles have reacted to poaching raids on flyer Reuben Garrick by tabling a bumper deal.

Manly have tabled flyer Reuben Garrick a bumper four-year deal which comes with a surprise positional switch.

The Sea Eagles will also flatly reject any bid for Garrick to be released early from his deal to join Newcastle next year.
The Sea Eagles have shown their intent in trying to make Garrick a key part of their long-term future as they try and starve off an approach from the Knights.

“The club sees Reuben as a real leader,” Mestrov said. “We have a very good group of players that can vie for the top four year on year and we want him to be a leader in this group moving forward.

“He is a quality human being and a professional. From a cultural point he is also a very important player.”

Garrick has made it clear he wants to make a permanent shift away from the wing and play fullback. Newcastle will offer Garrick that chance which would lead to Kalyn Ponga moving to the halves

While his opportunities to play fullback at Manly are limited to filling in for superstar Tom Trbojevic, the Sea Eagles plan on moving Garrick to the centres next season.

Garrick has only started one of his 91 top grade games at centre but will get first crack at the spot leaving the likes of Morgan Harper, Brad Parker and Tolutau Koula to battle it out for the other position.

“We’ve offered him a strong four year deal which would match any offer the Knights give him,” Mestrov said. “He wants to play fullback and obviously with Tom at Manly he can’t do that.

“However our offer is with the intention of playing Garrick at centre. He will play in the centres. He played all his junior representative football at centre. He is also an amazing goal-kicker which adds to the need to keep him.”

When asked if the club would entertain a release Mestrov simply said: “We won’t be releasing him”.

The Sea Eagles are keen on securing Garrick before the November 1 free agency period opens on Tuesday.

Trbojevic is recovering well from a season-ending shoulder injury and will certainly be fit and ready for round one next season.
I love Reubs so very happy but I do wonder about a contract guaranteeing a position.

Garrick should have been given a proper crack in the centres a long time ago. Will be great for us if he is happy to stay with us and play there

I love Reubs so very happy but I do wonder about a contract guaranteeing a position.

I suspect it is you get first shot at centre but if you are crap you will still be moved. But I agree if you "promise" him the centre position and it don't work out will we have his manager agitating for a release?

But I hope he stays has to be a better option than Harper.

Nice to see Mestrov state no release also.

I suspect it is you get first shot at centre but if you are crap you will still be moved. But I agree if you "promise" him the centre position and it don't work out will we have his manager agitating for a release?

But I hope he stays has to be a better option than Harper.

Nice to see Mestrov state no release also.
Does the “guarantee of centre” start in 2024 when his new contract would kick in?Not sure when Saab is expected back,but I’d of thought Garrick would start on the wing next season

Does the “guarantee of centre” start in 2024 when his new contract would kick in?Not sure when Saab is expected back,but I’d of thought Garrick would start on the wing next season

I'd suspect he gets his shot next season why not? Harper and Parker are useless time to look elsewhere.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8