Fulton’s West Syd plan success or failure ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think Brad Fittler’s son plays in the local junior comp too (possibly for Narrabeen Sharks).

CORRECTION: apparently played Matt’s for the Roosters so I don’t know if he ever played for a northern beaches club.

Then there’s the Hopoates.

Last edited:
How many Manly Juniors are running around at Manly or other clubs (and by juniors, I mean played in the local junior comps) The turbos, Brad Parker, Gutho and Jacob Preston from the dogs spring to mind
Bayley Simonsson was born at MV Hospital. Not sure on how much junior football (if any) he played on the NB.
Hopoate Son No.3.

I don't care if they are potential test players, the.Hopoate family should never be involved with the club, John in a terrible influence and trouble.
I agree 100%.

I was just reading John’s Wikipedia page - while I remember each indiscretion they listed, it really hits you what a bad citizen he has been over the years reading it on a single page like that.

Verills, John's brothers, Fulton, Freddy Lussick
seems to be a little bit of talent coming from out junior system not sure why we can't nurture them into first graders, instead we look to Western Sydney and have issues with home sickness and travel.

I've written about this before, so at the risk of boring people:
Why did the club disband the link it had established with the Canterbury region in the South Island of New Zealand? This region produces champion rugby players, and as far as I know Manly were cultivating promising players from there. That all stopped a few years ago, after taking a couple of our matches to Canterbury.

I commend Mestrov and the club for bringing about this change in tack. Focusing on the local area might help bring some Manly DNA back into the joint; particularly with the assistance of one of the most passionate Eagles of all time in Tooves. I doubt Toovey’s job is to be overly analytical in a footballing sense, it’s probably more about instilling club values and culture. Further, by supplementing that with players from a wider catchment, we can avoid factions controlled by one or two player managers.

Last edited:
Why did the club disband the link it had established with the Canterbury region in the South Island of New Zealand? This region produces champion rugby players, and as far as I know Manly were cultivating promising players from there. That all stopped a few years ago, after taking a couple of our matches to Canterbury.
Probably the same reason we got blackballed using the Sunshine Coast. It was proving too successful for us so the NRL (Greenturd) deemed it wasn't in the best interests of the game.

I commend Mestrov and the club for bringing about this change in tact. Focusing on the local area might help bring some Manly DNA back into the joint; particularly with the assistance of one of the most passionate Eagles of all time in Tooves. I doubt Toovey’s job is to be overly analytical in a footballing sense, it’s probably more about instilling club values and culture. Further, by supplementing that with players from a wider catchment, we can avoid factions controlled by one or two player managers.

I'm all for Manly culture ... but after 70 years of incestuous in-breeding ... we had become a mob of Banjo playing window lickers ... it was time to let in the Barbarians and get shagging .. we badly needed some new DNA ..

Probably the same reason we got blackballed using the Sunshine Coast. It was proving too successful for us so the NRL (Greenturd) deemed it wasn't in the best interests of the game.
Seems like the NRL are making it the Hunger Games as to which Sydney club will get the boot ( not inc Roosters / Bunnies / Panthers ) and give them a reason to relocate or start a new team outside of Sydney.

I did have a mini stroke when I first read "from the Canterbury region" until I read on to see New Zealand. If Mestrov is fair dinkum, you might see it back in the fold.

Manly boss responds amid fears Josh Schuster will lead mass exodus​

Manly chief executive Tony Mestrov says the club’s culture has the power to fend off fears of a mass exodus after Scott Fulton’s departure to the Wests Tigers.

Brent ReadBrent Read
Follow
@brentread_7

Manly chief executive Tony Mestrov has backed the club’s culture and history of success to overcome any threat to their playing ranks brought about by the sudden departure of recruitment boss Scott Fulton.
Fulton is expected to start his new role with the Wests Tigers this week, charged with strengthening the playing roster alongside coach Tim Sheens and football operations and recruitment manager Warren McDonnell.
One of his first priorities will be to determine whether the club will offer half Luke Brooks a new deal, although assistant coach Benji Marshall is expected to also have a significant say in that decision given he is due to take the reins from Sheens at the end of next season.
Brooks is coming off arguably his best performance in years, but it may not be enough to convince the club to persist with him as they search far and wide for a half capable of leading them around the park.
That responsibility will now fall chiefly in Fulton’s hands after he officially ended his long association with Manly on Monday. The club’s pursuit of Fulton was championed by chair Lee Hagipantelis and endorsed by the board — Sheens, McDonnell and Marshall were none the wiser about his impending arrival until the story was leaked on social media on Sunday afternoon.

Manly chief executive Tony Mestrov. Picture: Justin Lloyd.

Manly chief executive Tony Mestrov. Picture: Justin Lloyd.
Rumours of Fulton’s departure from Manly had been circulating for weeks, although there had been no links with the Tigers until the weekend.
His arrival will no doubt ruffle feathers within the football club given the secrecy of the negotiations, although Hagipantelis and the board are of the belief that his arrival will strengthen their recruiting power as they look to move off the foot of the ladder.
They may yet look to Manly given Fulton’s decision to change clubs has prompted suggestions that he could take a number of players with him — Fulton was behind recruiting and signing the likes of Josh Schuster, Jason Saab, Tolu Koula and Haumole Olakau’atu.
Schuster’s future, in particular, is of interest given he has been given a break from first grade to work on his fitness after some sub-par performances. Mestrov, however, played down talk of an exodus and insisted that the Sea Eagles would not lose any players they wanted to keep.
“I am not too worried (about losing players),” Mestrov said.

Scott Fulton was behind the signing of Manly young gun Josh Schuster.

Scott Fulton was behind the signing of Manly young gun Josh Schuster.
“We back ourselves to keep kids and the ones we want to retain, we keep them always. We are a big club and you hope players want to stay here for the right reasons.
“We back ourselves to build strong relationships with the players. It is a good environment here — we have a good culture, it is a place where people want to be.”
Fulton was at the heart of a strategic decision by Manly to focus on western Sydney, tapping into a nursery that helped them discover a handful of their current first grade side.
The current administration, however, believe that decision came at the cost of their own nursery on Sydney’s northern beaches, which has historically formed the bedrock of the club.
Mestrov wants to redirect much of the club’s recruitment focus into their traditional areas of strength — the local competition, the country and New Zealand.
“I want to have a focus back on local juniors, I want to rekindle relationships we had in the past with country clubs and New Zealand, which have worked for us,” Mestrov said.
“Things are changing. We just brought Geoff Toovey in to oversee out pathways and programs. We are serious about strengthening our juniors.”
Love it! Lets go out and collect a bunch of cells from the country, New Zealand and even some from the Western Suburbs and throw them into a Sea Eagles local junior petri dish and develop that winning culture again.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8