Fulton’s West Syd plan success or failure ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
A certain manager’s connection with a certain recently departed development manager is the crux of the problem
What I find interesting is that Fulton Jr was hawking his wares at the Dragons before settling on the Nick Geigers.

Presumably the challenge for him is the rebuild. In turn they (the clubs in question) are looking to turn it around, so they focus heavily on talent identification and recruitment.

He fought a rearguard action at Manly to see off Cloel Neal, only for the new coach to bring in his own man.

It has paid some dividends, but manly has traditionally done better with a mix of locals, country boys and Queenslanders.

I think adding some western Sydney guys has been a good thing, but I’d keep the other channels open too.
Good observation. Manly do need that type of mixture, currently there's alot of Polynesian players in this team and not enough locals, country and Queensland kids. Another downside is most Polynesian players come from big families meaning most will go where the money is which I don't begrudge since your football career is short and you need to make the most out of it.

Good observation. Manly do need that type of mixture, currently there's alot of Polynesian players in this team and not enough locals, country and Queensland kids. Another downside is most Polynesian players come from big families meaning most will go where the money is which I don't begrudge since your football career is short and you need to make the most out of it.
Almost all players will go to where the money is , that is why Manly were virtually obliged to pay big money to keep Turbo , Jake and D C E in the fold . Only exceptions i can think of who stayed at Manly in relatively contemporary times for below market value were obviously Beaver and to a lesser extent Choc, at least initially Could be a couple of others but that would be it .

Failure - imo should of concentrated on the local area and the central coast, and also still keep an eye on in QLD like we did in the past...We unearthed DCE from there....we had a very decent system back then

In some ways we got Dce and schuster the same way.

Both had uncles in manly reserve grade. So family connections are important, and not necessarily first graders, it is club culture.

There is an article in the Telecrap this morning where Mestrov addresses this very issue ... if one of you sneaky buggers can post it ... worth reading .. Thanks

Its been a mixed bag I think.

The Holden cup win in 17 was a big plus.

Some fantastic talent in that side. Oka and Manase Fainu were great.

Since them, well its been heading south.

The negative headlines over Fainu, the pride jersey scandal and the latest issues with Schuster sum things up.

Mestrov told us at the AGM to expect changes and we are going to find out if they work.

We need the club to come together, embrace our neglected local juniors, diversify our recruitment options, get rid of the abyss that is Blacktown workers!

Too many short cuts, the club needs serious investment!

I’ve avoided most of the stories on Social
Media , they are just regurgitated anyway.

But I did click on one , I forget the author but a name player from the past ( not a Manly player ) and he said that these player recruitment people often move clubs , but rarely do they manage to drag a heap of players with them other than perhaps one who’s yet to establish themselves at the club.

He quoted a number of examples , one of which was when Hasler & Cleal moved to the Bulldogs and tried to rip the joint apart.

How many left ( I forget exactly but T Rex who was already in the outer is about the only one I can remember).

Let’s not forget young Fulton has maroon & white running through his veins , so it would surprise me if he goes.

And Schuster , well in his current situation ( unless that is purely all a show to get himself sacked ) I doubt any club would stump up $800k on potential only.

So I think honestly we need to settle a bit.

I doubt many ( if any ) will go as a result.

I’ve avoided most of the stories on Social
Media , they are just regurgitated anyway.

But I did click on one , I forget the author but a name player from the past ( not a Manly player ) and he said that these player recruitment people often move clubs , but rarely do they manage to drag a heap of players with them other than perhaps one who’s yet to establish themselves at the club.

He quoted a number of examples , one of which was when Hasler & Cleal moved to the Bulldogs and tried to rip the joint apart.

How many left ( I forget exactly but T Rex who was already in the outer is about the only one I can remember).

Let’s not forget young Fulton has maroon & white running through his veins , so it would surprise me if he goes.

And Schuster , well in his current situation ( unless that is purely all a show to get himself sacked ) I doubt any club would stump up $800k on potential only.

So I think honestly we need to settle a bit.

I doubt many ( if any ) will go as a result.
Very good point re development officers moving all the time.Only issue is that Tartak is very close to Scott Fulton and Scott may miss his kickbacks from signing Mario’s clients.Whoops,that might get me in trouble 😆

Very good point re development officers moving all the time.Only issue is that Tartak is very close to Scott Fulton and Scott may miss his kickbacks from signing Mario’s clients.Whoops,that might get me in trouble 😆
Let’s face it , there’s a few very loyal players , local juniors who make up their minds to stay with the team from beginning to end.

BUT

Most are just journeymen going where ever the best contract is offered.

Unless it’s the Rorters , they all want to play there , as once you are in you are set for life.

There is an article in the Telecrap this morning where Mestrov addresses this very issue ... if one of you sneaky buggers can post it ... worth reading .. Thanks

Manly boss responds amid fears Josh Schuster will lead mass exodus​

Manly chief executive Tony Mestrov says the club’s culture has the power to fend off fears of a mass exodus after Scott Fulton’s departure to the Wests Tigers.

Brent Read

Manly chief executive Tony Mestrov has backed the club’s culture and history of success to overcome any threat to their playing ranks brought about by the sudden departure of recruitment boss Scott Fulton.
Fulton is expected to start his new role with the Wests Tigers this week, charged with strengthening the playing roster alongside coach Tim Sheens and football operations and recruitment manager Warren McDonnell.
One of his first priorities will be to determine whether the club will offer half Luke Brooks a new deal, although assistant coach Benji Marshall is expected to also have a significant say in that decision given he is due to take the reins from Sheens at the end of next season.
Brooks is coming off arguably his best performance in years, but it may not be enough to convince the club to persist with him as they search far and wide for a half capable of leading them around the park.
That responsibility will now fall chiefly in Fulton’s hands after he officially ended his long association with Manly on Monday. The club’s pursuit of Fulton was championed by chair Lee Hagipantelis and endorsed by the board — Sheens, McDonnell and Marshall were none the wiser about his impending arrival until the story was leaked on social media on Sunday afternoon.

Rumours of Fulton’s departure from Manly had been circulating for weeks, although there had been no links with the Tigers until the weekend.
His arrival will no doubt ruffle feathers within the football club given the secrecy of the negotiations, although Hagipantelis and the board are of the belief that his arrival will strengthen their recruiting power as they look to move off the foot of the ladder.
They may yet look to Manly given Fulton’s decision to change clubs has prompted suggestions that he could take a number of players with him — Fulton was behind recruiting and signing the likes of Josh Schuster, Jason Saab, Tolu Koula and Haumole Olakau’atu.
Schuster’s future, in particular, is of interest given he has been given a break from first grade to work on his fitness after some sub-par performances. Mestrov, however, played down talk of an exodus and insisted that the Sea Eagles would not lose any players they wanted to keep.

“I am not too worried (about losing players),” Mestrov said.
“We back ourselves to keep kids and the ones we want to retain, we keep them always. We are a big club and you hope players want to stay here for the right reasons.
“We back ourselves to build strong relationships with the players. It is a good environment here — we have a good culture, it is a place where people want to be.”

Fulton was at the heart of a strategic decision by Manly to focus on western Sydney, tapping into a nursery that helped them discover a handful of their current first grade side.
The current administration, however, believe that decision came at the cost of their own nursery on Sydney’s northern beaches, which has historically formed the bedrock of the club.
Mestrov wants to redirect much of the club’s recruitment focus into their traditional areas of strength — the local competition, the country and New Zealand.

“I want to have a focus back on local juniors, I want to rekindle relationships we had in the past with country clubs and New Zealand, which have worked for us,” Mestrov said.
“Things are changing. We just brought Geoff Toovey in to oversee out pathways and programs. We are serious about strengthening our juniors.”

2 good players one is in jail.
Get we are in a rugby union heartland but not concentrated on our own patch at all.
Not really shown much interest in the bush at all nor the UK which we have a rich history in.

We should have been focusing from the central coast to harbour bridge. Too late now the bears will be back in some form and our catchment area will be smaller. Time for the gronk who owns the joint to invents some of the profits in to an academy
This is so so true and so obvious as well.

We have had 21 years to build a junior base and supporter base from
North Sydney to berowra and have done nothing.

We should be as powerful as the roosters. We are the only club between the harbour bridge and newcastle.

Hopefully Tony Mestrov is working on something like this.

Manly boss responds amid fears Josh Schuster will lead mass exodus​

Manly chief executive Tony Mestrov says the club’s culture has the power to fend off fears of a mass exodus after Scott Fulton’s departure to the Wests Tigers.

Brent ReadBrent Read
Follow
@brentread_7

Manly chief executive Tony Mestrov has backed the club’s culture and history of success to overcome any threat to their playing ranks brought about by the sudden departure of recruitment boss Scott Fulton.
Fulton is expected to start his new role with the Wests Tigers this week, charged with strengthening the playing roster alongside coach Tim Sheens and football operations and recruitment manager Warren McDonnell.
One of his first priorities will be to determine whether the club will offer half Luke Brooks a new deal, although assistant coach Benji Marshall is expected to also have a significant say in that decision given he is due to take the reins from Sheens at the end of next season.
Brooks is coming off arguably his best performance in years, but it may not be enough to convince the club to persist with him as they search far and wide for a half capable of leading them around the park.
That responsibility will now fall chiefly in Fulton’s hands after he officially ended his long association with Manly on Monday. The club’s pursuit of Fulton was championed by chair Lee Hagipantelis and endorsed by the board — Sheens, McDonnell and Marshall were none the wiser about his impending arrival until the story was leaked on social media on Sunday afternoon.

Manly chief executive Tony Mestrov. Picture: Justin Lloyd.

Manly chief executive Tony Mestrov. Picture: Justin Lloyd.
Rumours of Fulton’s departure from Manly had been circulating for weeks, although there had been no links with the Tigers until the weekend.
His arrival will no doubt ruffle feathers within the football club given the secrecy of the negotiations, although Hagipantelis and the board are of the belief that his arrival will strengthen their recruiting power as they look to move off the foot of the ladder.
They may yet look to Manly given Fulton’s decision to change clubs has prompted suggestions that he could take a number of players with him — Fulton was behind recruiting and signing the likes of Josh Schuster, Jason Saab, Tolu Koula and Haumole Olakau’atu.
Schuster’s future, in particular, is of interest given he has been given a break from first grade to work on his fitness after some sub-par performances. Mestrov, however, played down talk of an exodus and insisted that the Sea Eagles would not lose any players they wanted to keep.
“I am not too worried (about losing players),” Mestrov said.

Scott Fulton was behind the signing of Manly young gun Josh Schuster.

Scott Fulton was behind the signing of Manly young gun Josh Schuster.
“We back ourselves to keep kids and the ones we want to retain, we keep them always. We are a big club and you hope players want to stay here for the right reasons.
“We back ourselves to build strong relationships with the players. It is a good environment here — we have a good culture, it is a place where people want to be.”
Fulton was at the heart of a strategic decision by Manly to focus on western Sydney, tapping into a nursery that helped them discover a handful of their current first grade side.
The current administration, however, believe that decision came at the cost of their own nursery on Sydney’s northern beaches, which has historically formed the bedrock of the club.
Mestrov wants to redirect much of the club’s recruitment focus into their traditional areas of strength — the local competition, the country and New Zealand.
“I want to have a focus back on local juniors, I want to rekindle relationships we had in the past with country clubs and New Zealand, which have worked for us,” Mestrov said.
“Things are changing. We just brought Geoff Toovey in to oversee out pathways and programs. We are serious about strengthening our juniors.”
I been quite critical of Mestrov but that's a very good move. Pathway wise

How many Manly Juniors are running around at Manly or other clubs (and by juniors, I mean played in the local junior comps) The turbos, Brad Parker, Gutho and Jacob Preston from the dogs spring to mind

This has all got me thinking about our last premiership side. Brought over the Stewart bros young from Wollongong, Lyon from the bush although he made stops along the way, Matai from NZ, Ballin from Brisbane and picking up good eggs like Steven Bell etc.

Had Manly guys like Beaver Menzies and Des + Tooves in the coaching ranks to help drive it all.

We won’t have any success until we get the Manly culture back. Any success we have is with our backs to the wall given the significant advantages other clubs have over us

Almost all players will go to where the money is , that is why Manly were virtually obliged to pay big money to keep Turbo , Jake and D C E in the fold . Only exceptions i can think of who stayed at Manly in relatively contemporary times for below market value were obviously Beaver and to a lesser extent Choc, at least initially Could be a couple of others but that would be it .
I'm pretty sure so did Matai, Snake and Jamie Lyon.

How many Manly Juniors are running around at Manly or other clubs (and by juniors, I mean played in the local junior comps) The turbos, Brad Parker, Gutho and Jacob Preston from the dogs spring to mind
Verills, John's brothers, Fulton, Freddy Lussick

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8