Flanagan Signed as assistant

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
What a sad, sad indictment on our club where they see fit to hire Shane Flanagan as an assistant.

A deplorable move on so many levels, many of which are hard to articulate in this forum, nonetheless, I count for very little in the grand scheme of things.

I wish the Club all the very best but I certainly will be far more vocal in the more appropriate channels to which I'm able to convey my thoughts.

I'm pretty surprised at the speed of this deal going through. Flanagan wasn't even on my radar as a possibility for an assistants role with us. The speed of the deal actually really bothers me, as clearly a lot of planning has gone into pulling it off.

Who's driven it? Penn? I dismiss this idea out of hand. Mestrov? It seems a very un-Mestrovlike move. Seibold? Was Seibolds deal conditional on Flanagan coming in? I don't see that either. Do we have someone else from outside pulling the Penn strings this time?

Webster has dismissed the idea of Eddie Jones coming in as a "consultant". That simply won't happen that way. However, Eddie Jones coming in as an all powerful coaching director, after he completes his commitments to the English Rugby Union in two years, is not outside the realms of possibility.

Except, I can't see Eddie being too attracted to this idea, Manlys Phil Gould, while the club remains at Brookvale. If the new Manly Dream Team, can essentially De-Manly the joint, through a complete rebuild internally, a geographical relocation could well be part of that future plan.

A lot of very long bows have been drawn, based on what ifs and hypotheticals, but as Webster writes himself "stranger things have happened" Thoughts, burns and ridicule all welcome in responses.

Look, I know we have very little choice but to support whoever is appointed to our coaching department. But it seems like SATNIP and whoever else has a say in any of it has read a few News Corp hacks and watched a bit of NRL 360, where the same old names are always thrown up as the best men for the job and figured that was as wide as they needed to cast their net.

Nobody is thinking outside of a very small square here: Seibold and Flanagan have both been sacked from different clubs for different reasons, but both of them deserved to be sacked seven times over. Was there really nobody else we could have courted? Maybe somebody without a history of cheating or watching on helplessly as a club imploded?

And surely how coaches work together is a big part of a team's success. Who's to say Seibold and Flanagan will work well together? Do they know each other? Do they like each other? Will Flanagan be content with an assistant's role? And when, exactly, was the last time he coached an NRL side? The NRL has changed significantly over the last two seasons, and if Des was past it, what makes anyone think Flanagan will be any better?
They may work well together, they might know each other well, they might be best mates, Flanagan may be quite content, and Flanagan and Seibold might be a lot better, lets hope eh?

Here is a full list of our Premiership winning players who came to Manly from another NRL club or from NZ or England:

Note: does not include players from non-NRL Qld clubs or those in country NSW. e.g. Fatty from Brisbane Wests or Bozo and the Stewart brothers from Wests Illawarra.

1972 - Ken Irvine (Norths), Ray Branigan (Souths), Max Brown (Canterbury), Dennis Ward (Canterbury), John O'Neill (Souths), Mal Reilly (Castleford)

1973 - Ken Irvine (Norths), Ray Branigan (Souths), Max Brown (Canterbury), Johnny Mayes (Easts), John O'Neill (Souths), Peter Peters (Parramatta), Mal Reilly (Castleford)

1976 - Tom Mooney (Souths), Rod Jackson (Canterbury), Gary Stephens (Castleford), Phil Lowe (Hull KR), Steve Norton (Castleford)

1978 - Tom Mooney (Souths), Stephen Knight (Wests/Balmain), Steve Martin (Barrow), Bruce Walker (Brisbane Easts/North Sydney), Ray Branigan (Souths)

1987 - Darrell Williams (Mt. Albert NZ), Michael O'Connor (St. George), Stuart Davis (Easts), Cliff Lyons (Norths), Des Halser (Penrith), Ron Gibbs (Easts), Noel Cleal (Easts), Kevin Ward (Castleford)

1996 - Matthew Ridge (NZ Rugby), Craig Innes (Leeds/Western Reds), Terry Hill (Easts/Wests), David Gillespie (Canterbury/Wests), Jim Serdaris (Souths/Canterbury/Wests), Mark Carroll (Penrith/Souths), Cliff Lyons (Norths), Neil Tierney (St. George/Wests), Des Hasler (Penrith)

2008 - Michael Robertson (Canberra), Steven Bell (Melbourne), Jamie Lyon (Parramatta/St. Helens), Matt Orford (Northern Eagles/Melbourne), Brent Kite (St. George Illawarra), Josh Perry (Newcastle), Glenn Hall (Canterbury/Souths/Roosters), Heath L'Estrange (Roosters), Mark Bryant (Canberra)

2011 - Michael Robertson (Canberra), Jamie Lyon (Parramatta/St. Helens), Joe Galuvao (Warriors/Penrith/Souths/Parramatta), Brent Kite (St. George Illawarra), Tony Williams (Parramatta), Shane Rodney (Penrith), George Rose (Roosters)
Thank you great work !

Calves blood again

Why? Penn said that we have a premiership wining team already and just need a premiership wining coaching team which he is now signing

2023 premiership win by Manly Well according to Penn anyway
I know that's what Penn said but I'm not delusional like him. This team needs some decent signings to compete with the top 8 next year.

I remember Flanagan commenting on a Sea Eagles game in 2021. Haumole made a big bust upfield with Turbo looming on the inside. If Haumole passes, it's a certain try, but he died with the ball. Flanagan said Haumole should be strongly told if that happens again, he would be dropped. Haumole often neglects to look for support, so it would be of great benefit if Flanagan can help this aspect of his play.
If they can get Guac running into a gap instead of standing flat footed and trying to palm off players to make a break, THAT would be a great improvement. He can be so much better than he has been. He and Paseka running onto the ball would be bloody good to see.

Last edited:
Look, I know we have very little choice but to support whoever is appointed to our coaching department. But it seems like SATNIP and whoever else has a say in any of it has read a few News Corp hacks and watched a bit of NRL 360, where the same old names are always thrown up as the best men for the job and figured that was as wide as they needed to cast their net.

Nobody is thinking outside of a very small square here: Seibold and Flanagan have both been sacked from different clubs for different reasons, but both of them deserved to be sacked seven times over. Was there really nobody else we could have courted? Maybe somebody without a history of cheating or watching on helplessly as a club imploded?

And surely how coaches work together is a big part of a team's success. Who's to say Seibold and Flanagan will work well together? Do they know each other? Do they like each other? Will Flanagan be content with an assistant's role? And when, exactly, was the last time he coached an NRL side? The NRL has changed significantly over the last two seasons, and if Des was past it, what makes anyone think Flanagan will be any better?
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about them working together. We sort of know their background as individuals but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll work well together. I guess we'll see (ahhh, maybe).

About 3 days ago, I recall someone around here boldly claiming that Flannagan was a 'done deal'. Danny Weidler is slow AF. Go Manly!!

Someone is playing the shy debutant.....

Manly are set to offer Anthony Seibold a three-year deal to replace Des Hasler, but Shane Flanagan revealed he hasn’t spoken to the club despite reports he’ll join as an assistant.

Flanagan rubbished a report that he has ‘agreed to terms’ on a deal with the Sea Eagles, emphasising he hasn’t spoken to the club let alone seen a contract.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing about them working together. We sort of know their background as individuals but that doesn't necessarily mean they'll work well together. I guess we'll see (ahhh, maybe).
Or maybe we won't see if, as according to reports today, the club hasn't even spoken to Flanagan.

Surely the head coach should pick his own team, rather than have it imposed on him by the club. It's not just a matter of picking three or four names out of a hat and saying, "Here - make the best of it."

Someone is playing the shy debutant.....

Manly are set to offer Anthony Seibold a three-year deal to replace Des Hasler, but Shane Flanagan revealed he hasn’t spoken to the club despite reports he’ll join as an assistant.

Flanagan rubbished a report that he has ‘agreed to terms’ on a deal with the Sea Eagles, emphasising he hasn’t spoken to the club let alone seen a contract.

Good. I don’t want Flanno anywhere near Manly.

Apparently not signed or even spoken to. Siebold still has World Cup commitments. This sounds more like Manly - sack a coach and no confirmed appointment.

Who will be running training on the first day back?

Or maybe we won't see if, as according to reports today, the club hasn't even spoken to Flanagan.

Surely the head coach should pick his own team, rather than have it imposed on him by the club. It's not just a matter of picking three or four names out of a hat and saying, "Here - make the best of it."
Yeah, that's why I thought I'd better add a "maybe". Trust no one ...... until I see it.

Dykes is a fullback but good prospect.

Iro would be a great get.

Though this young kids are after Flanagans time
Yep I was mates with his dad Adam who was a 5/8, yes he is a fullback who can play some footy as a distributor also.
Flanagan is before most of the current squads time, but has had his head in the game and is well respected down the Shire way.
Thing is the players and footy club love what Fitzgibbon brings and will be tough getting players from there atm unless looking for opportunities as not able to get a lock in the Top 17.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 56 16
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10