Election 2010, who do you think will win and why??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Canteen Worker

First Grader
Tony Abbott is on Q and A next Monday so we will see how he goes as compared to Jooolya! Should be fun when they cross each other at the 'Vegas of the West', Rooty Hill RSL tomorrow.

For an irreverant and very funny laugh here is a YouTube clip. Got to love Joe Hockey in the front as a dancer!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCVL9vTM_yU

ManlyBacker

Winging it
Canteen Worker link said:
For an irreverant and very funny laugh here is a YouTube clip. Got to love Joe Hockey in the front as a dancer!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCVL9vTM_yU

That put a smile on my face.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
Mark from Brisbane link said:
[quote author=Fro link=topic=184174.msg283553#msg283553 date=1281424409]
ABC, a labor propagandist tool!!! how long has this been going on???

Have you ever seen anything more one sided than a Kerry O'Brien inteview???
[/quote]I have seen Kerry ask the hard questions of both parties. Whoever is in Government tends to cop it and in the Howard years they were the main target. Rudd and his ministers had to withstand the same scrutiny. The Liberals have perpetuated the myth of media bias for many years, ignoring the efforts of Alan Jones, Ray Hadley, Piers Akerman, Andrew Bolt etc who certainly don't take some middle of the road line.

I think that one's personal perspective colours how one sees the various personalities of the media.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
Canteen Worker link said:
Will the National Broadband Network proposals from each of the parties impact on this election?

I don't know CW but I think it was a clanger by the Libs. Anyone outside of the major cities now know that the extension of the NBN will be at the whim of private contractors seeking profits - meaning huge parts of rural Australia will never get it. Some will see it as fiscally responsible but others will see it as a denial of services offered to other Australians and perhaps a lack of vision. I was dissapointed by the announcement but who knows what impact it will have.

bob dylan

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
The coalition seems to be on the slide again. It kinda looks like Abbott has given up this week by not delivering the NBN policy and not being able to answer questions on it, while Gillard has been on the ABC and Ten and coming across really warm and honest. I look forward to seeing Tony on the ABC next Monday night.

It is always interesting to see what happens to leaders when elections are lost.

I would get the feeling the loser of this election will be on the scrap heap.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I don't know about that BD.

I think that the LNP would have hoped (at the start of this) to claw back the losses they had in 2007 and make it as close as possible. Oh sure a win would be what they would want but in the back of their minds they'd be saying let's just get it close so we can have a real crack in 2013.

We all know what happens in Aussie politics (or at least over the last 30-40 years).

Labor gets in, eventually blows all the money and when it really starts to hurt the everyday man they turf them out to get the others in so that the interest rates come down.

Then the LNP get in, do a good job, return the country to surplus BUT then get smug and start doing things to take care of the "big end of town", then people get pissed off, go back to Labor and the cycle starts again.

I always thought (and said this when I started this very thread) that Labor would win but with a reduced margin....I still stand by that.

2013 will be the time when the LNP has their best shot, and the "Mad Monk" may well still be there.

However if Labor was to have a surprise upset loss, the faceless men behind the Labor party will shaft the Ranga faster than Snake can score a try on a kick return.

The Gronk

Bencher
The biggest deficit per capita Australia ever had was when Fraser was PM and Howard treasurer, and there was no GFC to excuse it then. 

Lets not let facts get in the way of our personal preferences though hey Mark

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Let's not

But maybe we should talk about the "doyen" of the Labor party Gough Whitlam, were you around in those days Gronk??.....I was and it was a disaster....and whilst I disagreed with his sacking the country had had enough of them after just a few years.

Or how about "the recession we had to have" under Keating and the 17% interest rates.....I had to pay a house off during those times and if people reckon things are tough now I can tell you we had nothing (nada) left over each week, and we were so bloody close to having the bank come and take it off us. I was working (two jobs), and my wife was working and we could barely put food on the table for the kids because the interest was killing us.

I know these are different times BUT when you had to live through that **** you never forget, so forgive me for being a little biased but I have good erason to be!!

The Gronk

Bencher
Mate i just think opinions should be based on facts that's all. 

It might interest you to know that house repayments take up a higher proportion of incomes today than they ever did when rates were 17%. 

kingyfan

Reserve Grader
The Gronk link said:

It might interest you to know that house repayments take up a higher proportion of incomes today than they ever did when rates were 17%.  

That is because home loans are now 4 to 5 times larger than in the eighties.  

Jason King for PM.  He would fix the country and make sure that we received $30m for brookvale oval.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
[quote author=kingyfan link=topic=184174.msg283805#msg283805 date=1281524695]
[quote author=The Gronk link=topic=184174.msg283801#msg283801 date=1281524126]

"Jason King for PM.  He would fix the country and make sure that we received $30m for brookvale oval"

I'd second that!!

Rusty

Bencher
The Gronk link said:

The reason for this is the demand for real-estate is so high with the supply so low, hence the average mortgage is huge. The reason for this is Labor at the state level is very very slow at releasing new land to developers.

Just so people know, my instinct is to vote Liberal, certainly at state level but I am not adverse to Labor, they need to have the right leader to convince me however. Not Gillard who while at university suggested in debates that the government should nationalize industries, including the banks, airlines and food production.

I thought Beasley was ok, Crean was boring but ok, Lathan a loon and Rudd was a fad. Swan wouldn't be too bad, but out of the current bunch he seems the only one who is both qualified and agreeable.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
How about a critique of the leadership team of the Lib/Nats to balance things Rusty? If you want to go back to uni days then Abbott was a stand-over thug so don't hold back. That aside I am genuinely interested.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I am going to make a completely unbiased statement, based now on my many years as a business owner, about the two major options available.

My business has not suffered greatly due to either party being in Government, so at the end of the day it probably matters nought who gets in.

Oh sure, the high interest rates of the 90's had a big impact, and at that stage I had a lot of business debt (as well as a mortgage) so that did hurt a lot, and as I said above it resulted in having to have a job (outside of my business) for a while to pay the mortgage off.

But equally, the into duction of the GST and the subsequent red tape and extra accounting has been a pain in the bum.

And also equally the impost (as a cost) to a business for compulsory super is a huge cost, possibly necessary (as the average Joe saves little) but still an impost.

So some for's and against's for both sides but as I say it doesn't really make much of a difference "business wise" who wins, I still turn up to work on the Monday afterwards, and it willmake almost zero impact to my very small business.

BUT

I have one major aversion, and that's the Greens.

I am sure Gronk will correct me if I am wrong here but it "seems" to me that the most radical of the Labor voters have become Greens, and they are bloody dangerous.

One of their policy's is the reintroduction of death duties.....I imagine most of you on here have never experienced this, I have and it's insidious...people work, save, paid taxes all their lives to die and leave (hopefully)  a little behind to their rellies....the Greens want to take a portion of that as a tax (I don't think it's stated on their website but my son in law is a raging Green and tells me it's 50%).

So whatever you all do DON"T VOTE for them....in my humble opinion (and yes only an opinion NOT a fact) they are lunatics!!

bob dylan

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Yeah I am with you Mark, you are spot on, in my life it will make almost no difference who wins and life will go on.

But the Greens seem a little to "left field" for me and I dont think they could run the country at all. Is that 50% is right?? Mind you 5% would even stink.

I hope people vote for one of the big 2 or if they have an Inde who they have faith in go that way.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
Interesting forums at Rooty Hill last night that definitely helped Tony Abbott. The crowd was meant to be swinging voters but were much more hostile to Julia Gillard and cheered as Tony Abbott came in - hardly the behaviour of swinging voters.

Gillard performed okay but Abbott, having the advantage of being second came down and mixed with the crowd, engaging with them effectively.

My opinion however, is despite the more relaxed performance of Abbott, he received the much easier questions but he also lacked detail on his policies, something that Gillard provided in spades. He worked the room quite well, except when it came to health and broadband, where he has absolutely no idea.

That sums it up for me in this campaign. Both parties are basically running scare campaigns  but Labor is better able to explain policy and discuss the economic scenery. The Libs say they will improve debt and stop the boats but have not really put up a plan to do so. In the end it is a hard choice.

What did strike me after Lateline, on which Malcolm Turnbull performed impressively, is that the Liberals would be much more policy literate if he was the leader. Maybe not as charming a fellow, but in terms of policy and ability to understand and explain economics, they would be streets ahead. Turnbull would also neutralise the Green vote, some of which is based on dissatisfaction with the major parties.

The Gronk

Bencher
Mark its fair to say the ALP has 'outsourced' its loony left to the greens. 

They do have some "out there" policies, but a lot of those fell away in the last parliament when the Libs didn't have the majority, and I think more will go once they have the actual responsibility of the balance of power.  Its a lot different when your policies might actually be used in reality. 

How they voted against the first ever piece of climate change legislation and still look themselves in the mirror is beyond me though. 

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 78 22
13 9 4 110 20
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16
13 7 6 -34 16