Drugs, Sex, Domestic Violence: Football's dark cover up

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
You’re right. Your opinion is unpopular (imo). A major newspaper like The Australian doesn’t grant a four month investigation without doing their due diligence. If it was the DT, I would be sceptical at the very least. I believe these allegations have some very serious merit.
A major paper that is owned by Rupert Murdoch will do whatever they like to sell papers, I think we can all agree after the Sun newspaper in the UK were charged with hacking phones of deceased people they lost all credibility. I am not saying Sam Burgess is innocent nor am I supporting him, I hate the prick and Souths, but after what I have seen these papers do to people over the years, I will just reserve making a judgement until the facts are tested properly and really the Australian should have let this play out in court and then wrote the expose.

A major paper that is owned by Rupert Murdoch will do whatever they like to sell papers, I think we can all agree after the Sun newspaper in the UK were charged with hacking phones of deceased people they lost all credibility. I am not saying Sam Burgess is innocent nor am I supporting him, I hate the prick and Souths, but after what I have seen these papers do to people over the years, I will just reserve making a judgement until the facts are tested properly and really the Australian should have let this play out in court and then wrote the expose.
The Australian is the most respected and well-resourced newspaper in Australia. It is the one Australian newspaper that Rupert is proud of. It loses money but Rupert props it up because it gives him credibility.
(I worked for The Australian for 18 months in 1978-9) If you were to trust one media outlet to be as factual as possible it would be The Australian.

I will just reserve making a judgement until the facts are tested properly and really the Australian should have let this play out in court and then wrote the expose.
Reserve judgment by all means but don't forget, this story alleges a serious cover-up by a club of a star player's misbehaviour, and the cover-up would not be getting investigated if not for the expose.
In my view the cover-up is at least as big a story, and as damaging to the NRL, as the revelation that (yet another) NRL star is alleged to be an abusive drug-taking dickhead.

Sam Burgess described South Sydney doctor Andrew McDonald – who has been the club’s medico for a quarter of a century – as a “straight-faced guy” who “doesn’t show a lot of emotion”.

In the wake of serious claims surrounding the South Sydney rugby league club and Burgess, McDonald is under investigation after The Australian newspaper obtained pharmacy records that allege he wrote a prescription in another person’s name on behalf of Burgess.

He was also reportedly present during an outburst by Burgess at his home after a session of partying.

“I don’t have any comment at this stage,” McDonald said in response to questions submitted by The Australian.

NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo on Friday said McDonald would be free to continue his role as team doctor (because you know V'landy's says...integrity is everything and no fault stand down rules are for players only) for South Sydney’s elimination final clash with Newcastle on Sunday.

McDonald has known Burgess since he joined the Rabbitohs in 2009 and has worked with the Englishman throughout his NRL career as he dealt with knee, neck, ankle and shoulder injuries.

McDonald has worked with the Rabbitohs since 1996. He also spent eight years as chief medical officer at A-League champions Sydney FC and worked as a medical officer at Qantas and Woolworths. He practices in Bondi Junction.

The Australian is the most respected and well-resourced newspaper in Australia. It is the one Australian newspaper that Rupert is proud of. It loses money but Rupert props it up because it gives him credibility.
(I worked for The Australian for 18 months in 1978-9) If you were to trust one media outlet to be as factual as possible it would be The Australian.

With all due respect a lot has changed regarding ethics and integrity in the world since 1979 especially in the world of newspapers and that scum bag Murdoch. I can't believe I am having to justify myself to other Manly fans about being cautious in believing everything written by any newspaper in Australia let alone a Rupert Murdoch bird cage liner and on behalf of someone I can't stand.

Reserve judgment by all means but don't forget, this story alleges a serious cover-up by a club of a star player's misbehaviour, and the cover-up would not be getting investigated if not for the expose.
In my view the cover-up is at least as big a story, and as damaging to the NRL, as the revelation that (yet another) NRL star is alleged to be an abusive drug-taking dickhead.
Key word there is "alleges", If police investigate it and its all true then throw the book at them, actually burn them at the stake for all I care. All I am saying is I don't take every allegation written in a murdoch rag as any kind of truth until it is proven. News Ltd is News Ltd regardless what header name is on the front page, don't ever forget what those bastards did to Brett and later on how they smeared our club with plenty of "allegations". I said before I hate Burgess and would probably enjoy seeing him sent back to England as scum, but that doesn't change my distrust of Newspapers and their so called journalist's.

Last edited:
You’re right. Your opinion is unpopular (imo). A major newspaper like The Australian doesn’t grant a four month investigation without doing their due diligence. If it was the DT, I would be sceptical at the very least. I believe these allegations have some very serious merit.
Didn’t Dylan Walker allegedly assault his wife too!

just sayin!

Key word there is "alleges", If police investigate it and its all true then throw the book at them, actually burn them at the stake for all I care. All I am saying is I don't take every allegation written in a murdoch rag as any kind of truth until it is proven. News Ltd is News Ltd regardless what header name is on the front page, don't ever forget what those bastards did to Brett and later on how they smeared our club with plenty of "allegations". I said before I hate Burgess and would probably enjoy seeing him sent back to England as scum, but that doesn't change my distrust of Newspapers and their so called journalist's.
Fair enough, but there is a big difference between the accuracy of The Telegraph and The Australian, despite the fact that both are owned by the same proprietor. They have completely different staff and mind-set.

With all due respect a lot has changed regarding ethics and integrity in the world since 1979 especially in the world of newspapers and that scum bag Murdoch. I can't believe I am having to justify myself to other Manly fans about being cautious in believing everything written by any newspaper in Australia let alone a Rupert Murdoch bird cage liner and on behalf of someone I can't stand.

As I said before I understand and agree with you that the judicial process has been initiated, and now should be allowed to work through it.
It would not have been initiated without the story breaking.
No journalist is going to tip off the police with a detailed hard worked investigation and then wait to report on the results of the judiciary and having then, to share their efforts will the media zoo.

What I think has happened is that Mrs Burgess is a friend and former work colleague of Shari Markson, who now works for News Ltd. Mrs B has shared all the information that she and her father presented to the Police in their case for an AVO against Sam, and also for custody of their child (I'm unsure how many they have). So, the bulk of the material in the expose is what the Police have been given to investigate.
As Conanu rightly points out it is only one side of the story, although there does seem to be a lot of supporting 'evidence' via email exchanges and doctor's prescriptions.
Sam and his PR and legal team will be working on (a) discrediting Mrs B and her father and (b) presenting Sam as a great bloke who is a bit of a larrakin who likes a drink and a punt but who would never disrespect a woman nor take drugs.
So, I expect to see (a) stories allegedly from the wives of Souffs' players that Mrs B was a snob, who never understood the club culture and never really fitted in; who expected Sam to be at her back-and-call and who was regularly overblowing trivial issues...
(b) stories about Sam's charity work, tireless devotion to his child/ren; comments from friends who attest they never saw Sam violent, moody or under the influence of anything bar a few beers.
I expect many journalists who are friends of Sam will give him an easy ride, and that there will be a less-than-hardhitting mea culpa by Sam on ACA or Sixty Minutes.

What I think has happened is that Mrs Burgess is a friend and former work colleague of Shari Markson, who now works for News Ltd. Mrs B has shared all the information that she and her father presented to the Police in their case for an AVO against Sam, and also for custody of their child (I'm unsure how many they have). So, the bulk of the material in the expose is what the Police have been given to investigate.
As Conanu rightly points out it is only one side of the story, although there does seem to be a lot of supporting 'evidence' via email exchanges and doctor's prescriptions.
Sam and his PR and legal team will be working on (a) discrediting Mrs B and her father and (b) presenting Sam as a great bloke who is a bit of a larrakin who likes a drink and a punt but who would never disrespect a woman nor take drugs.
So, I expect to see (a) stories allegedly from the wives of Souffs' players that Mrs B was a snob, who never understood the club culture and never really fitted in; who expected Sam to be at her back-and-call and who was regularly overblowing trivial issues...
(b) stories about Sam's charity work, tireless devotion to his child/ren; comments from friends who attest they never saw Sam violent, moody or under the influence of anything bar a few beers.
I expect many journalists who are friends of Sam will give him an easy ride, and that there will be a less-than-hardhitting mea culpa by Sam on ACA or Sixty Minutes.
In essence the typical PR “ spin” ?

Not all PR is bad, sometimes it is the art of making sure your side of the story is heard at a time when everyone else really just wants to focus on what is more interesting.

Jason Clark would seem to be in a tough spot. Having (allegedly) witnessed the whole psychotic drug bender in the basement episode (again alledged), he’ll be under immense pressure from the boys club to keep quiet. Then he’d have his own missus and friends coming at him from the other direction. When it gets to court it will be very interesting to see which side of the courtroom he is sitting on.

Last edited:
Jason Clark would seem to be in a tough spot. Having (allegedly) witnessed the whole psychotic drug bender in the basement episode (again alledged), he’ll be under immense pressure from the boys club to keep quiet. Then he’d have his own missus and friends coming at him from the other direction. When it gets to court it will be very interesting to see which side of the courtroom he is sitting on.
If it gets to court ( and I expect it might ) he’ll be grilled unmercifully if he decided to side with the Burgi.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8