Do you smell another Manly Dynasty coming ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Certainly did look promising at the end of 2021 , not that far off the main contender level , Turbo in sensational form , D C E and especially Foz directing the side very effectively . Jake leading a fairly competitive pack . Since then, fair to say that the Panthers have come back to the field a bit , other well ranked sides at the time and still quite competitive now , Manly has managed to be on at least equal terms or better when there is a largely full strength side and competing properly . injures a key factor last season to a large extent but this season the difference between Manly's best and worst form probably the biggest handicap . Differences from season 21 to now , missing Foz guidance and direction big time , defence and durability largely gone backwards , guys like Shu, Alioia generally underperforming , maybe missing the spark and variation that Dylan Walker could usually inject . Plenty of other sides have had to come to terms with adversity and setbacks with key players unavailable for one reason or another and still got on with it and some reasonable consistency . Whether it is a mindset or coaching factor , just based on the personal still available for Manly, really should be doing so much better . Weren 't too far off the pace in 19 either and minus Turbo for a good part of the season . Maybe not so much a dynasty emerging but still a reasonable chance of getting close to top billing if the team as a whole and coaching staff can get their act together and try to produce just some basic , competitive and consistent footy on a more regular basis .
Your spot on al....we were on the up and had a few promising seeds planted in our own backyard.
Unfortunately a few things have happened since....

Turbo the usual injury saga
Some key players underperforming
Some rookies not living up to early hype
Poor recruitment
Continued disruptions coaching/staff

It's to the point I know at full strength we can compete with "most" teams.
Problem is we seem to find this a very hard thing to do.
As such an avid supporter, I find myself looking for some "hope" like Obi 1 from Star Wars....
Right now I am looking for answers outside of what we got, as some of the blokes we have are good NSW cup players, but poor NRL players, so you start searching for those (young, fresh, talented) players who may help get us back where we belong, effectively throwing them into the fire prematurely to make up for the incompetence of those senior players either not doing their job, or simply just not up to it.
I look at young hooker Gordie and think, he will 100% help with some thrust in attack we badly need, but seen first hand a few NSW cup games and his defence is really lacking.....so doesn't really solve the issue like we would all hope.
tHe true "White Knight" is young Latu Fainu who imo could handle the step up Today, but is he really ready for the NRL jump or am I forcing an opinion with hope as he is such an extraordinary talent ?
Fainu is the Real deal, but the worst thing we could do is throw him into this current wishy washy team and effect him long term.

Anyways, just a few thoughts, but like what you bring as usual manly al. :wait:

They've played 14 games so far this season.

Won 6. Lost 7. Drew 1.

Still a chance for the top eight.

Chucking an 18 year old into the mix right now would be absolutely crazy. And only something you'd do as a last case scenario.

We've got the potential to be where the Broncos, Panthers and Storm are at the moment. But it takes time. We all have to be patient and give them a chance to develop into the players that they can be.

The 1995-1997 team took time to develop. 1993 and 1994 were both very important building blocks and learning curves to get the blokes in those teams ready for the intensity and pressure of big games.

Same with 2008. A lot of lessons were learnt in 2005, 2006 and 2007.

2011 was a similar team but they needed time as well. The 2009 and 2010 seasons set us up mentally and physically for that 2011 win.

It takes time. We'll get there eventually. Just got to stick solid and support them in years like this one. They're trying their best. And doing the best they can. Sometimes it's just not your year and that's ok.

I have said from the beginning that our team will struggle if the number of errors are not cut down to equal or less than the opposition's .We played the Dolphins and were catching every kick and no simple drop balls .If we did the same against the Eels ,we would have won . It is so hard now to defend repeat sets ( sin bin and 6 again ) and we handed the Eels so many . We beat them easily in the first round .Looking forward to the Storms game and hope we have less errors and we do we will see the real Manly .Let's go Manly .

Im not sold on the coaches ability either way yet.

he is probably better than the return currently. We always play teams into form, and are coach killers, although des dug his own grave , i bet flanno is relieved he got a gig early

the owner is tough. He was there when no one else was, but has overstayed his welcome. Not rich enough or compassionate enough to understand the community attachment to the brand. Probably a real decent human but a footy club owner he is not.

He is clearly a fan and not a footy head.
I think Seibold has to be given sufficient time to build his own team, I've taken over in some places in my working life and been given time to sort out the deadwood and I suggest it's only fair for Seibold to be given that opportunity. It's not like he's taken over an outfit that's been riding a wave of success, stop death riding the bloke and at least give him a chance to prove his worth one way or the other

I think Seibold has to be given sufficient time to build his own team, I've taken over in some places in my working life and been given time to sort out the deadwood and I suggest it's only fair for Seibold to be given that opportunity. It's not like he's taken over an outfit that's been riding a wave of success, stop death riding the bloke and at least give him a chance to prove his worth one way or the other
Yeah, well said. A bloke next to me at the Ivanhoe sports bar at Manly said after Parra scored a try said straight away...what do you think about Seibold, he's s..., i said he's not the one dropping balls and missing tackles, give it a rest mate..

The title of this thread always makes me chuckle. I guess as diehard fans, we must live in hope.

Having said that, we are also blinded by our past success. Long gone are the great clubmen and administrators, so too our financial capabilities, and prestige. The last remaining passionate club legends have been chewed through and spat out.

We are no closer to a dynasty than the bottom dwelling teams of the NRL, and anyone who believes otherwise can hope away for eternity. That, or Penn sells up

The last remaining passionate club legends have been chewed through and spat out.
Not quite sure what you mean by this? Krilich and Cliffy are still around the club, Golden eagles are more active than ever and have arranged quite a bunch of ex-Eagles to meet current players, Arko is still alive and rooting for Manly, even the new CEO is a former Manly junior and Sea Eagle player. Also Tooves is back at the club as pathways coaching coordinator.
And I doubt there's ever been anyone more passionate about Manly than Jake Trbojevic.

Not suggesting I see a dynasty coming into view, but even with Penn the penny-pincher as chairman there's still Sea Eagles DNA in the joint. And it is such a winning DNA that I remain more than hopeful, I expect wins! Just getting a bit impatient though, like everyone else.

Not quite sure what you mean by this? Krilich and Cliffy are still around the club, Golden eagles are more active than ever and have arranged quite a bunch of ex-Eagles to meet current players, Arko is still alive and rooting for Manly, even the new CEO is a former Manly junior and Sea Eagle player. Also Tooves is back at the club as pathways coaching coordinator.
And I doubt there's ever been anyone more passionate about Manly than Jake Trbojevic.

Not suggesting I see a dynasty coming into view, but even with Penn the penny-pincher as chairman there's still Sea Eagles DNA in the joint. And it is such a winning DNA that I remain more than hopeful, I expect wins! Just getting a bit impatient though, like everyone else.
Also Snake, Orford and Beaver, whom I see running around everywhere on home game day.

I wonder more about the players that don't live anywhere near Manly and how much influence that has on their ability to become part of the "DNA".

We still need to be able to grind out the really tough games before I really buy into it. We could've grinded our way back into making the Parra game a respectable contest if we completed sets and held onto the ball but we didn't

Makes us look like flat track bullies

Golden Eagles, ambassador roles aside (purely PR), in terms of office and football, Hasler was our one hope of capitalising on the Trbojevics winning a comp - the way he had been treated (twice), is unacceptable.

Mestrov is doing his best, and bringing back Tooves looks great, but again, he too was treated atrociously.

Recent players who could have stuck around in hands on roles include Ballin, Kite, Glenn Stewart, Lyon, Matai, etc. Ask BK, or any of the above including Choc, what they think of the way they or those close to them have been treated at the end of their final contracts.

Golden Eagles, ambassador roles aside (purely PR), in terms of office and football, Hasler was our one hope of capitalising on the Trbojevics winning a comp - the way he had been treated (twice), is unacceptable.

Mestrov is doing his best, and bringing back Tooves looks great, but again, he too was treated atrociously.

Recent players who could have stuck around in hands on roles include Ballin, Kite, Glenn Stewart, Lyon, Matai, etc. Ask BK, or any of the above including Choc, what they think of the way they or those close to them have been treated at the end of their final contracts.
That's a good point, although to be fair I think all the players you mention live out of Sydney.

It does feel odd though having a head coach without Manly DNA, even though he was previously an assistant here and lives in the area, not quite the same. However I cling to this notion that when he first came into coaching he was extremely highly regarded, so hopefully he does have some ability buried away in there somewhere. I guess we'll all know for sure in the next 12 months or so.

The title of this thread always makes me chuckle. I guess as diehard fans, we must live in hope.

Having said that, we are also blinded by our past success. Long gone are the great clubmen and administrators, so too our financial capabilities, and prestige. The last remaining passionate club legends have been chewed through and spat out.

We are no closer to a dynasty than the bottom dwelling teams of the NRL, and anyone who believes otherwise can hope away for eternity. That, or Penn sells up
Hey Pete W, Firstly I don't blame you as I chuckle also, but I do need some leniency by the judge and jury on Silvertails here....
I think we had won by 50 and the sky was blue......and a bottle deep in rum made the emotional senses sky high....
The real issue here is the wheels seemed to fall off as I posted this thread, with injuries, in house issues and a form slump in general....my rule since this thread is simple.....no threads after more than 15 drinks, it's a terrible combination similar to feeding a cute Gremlin after midnight.

Your happy with Woods, Arthur and Talou?

Hey Pete W, Firstly I don't blame you as I chuckle also, but I do need some leniency by the judge and jury on Silvertails here....
I think we had won by 50 and the sky was blue......and a bottle deep in rum made the emotional senses sky high....
The real issue here is the wheels seemed to fall off as I posted this thread, with injuries, in house issues and a form slump in general....my rule since this thread is simple.....no threads after more than 15 drinks, it's a terrible combination similar to feeding a cute Gremlin after midnight.

I said to someone after the game against the Dolphins, this is one game, let's not get ahead of ourselves, we are now 6 wins in 21 (and I got howled down).

Storm will make it 6 in 23 (and pretty sure that's equal worst in that period).

Letting Seibold build his own roster is a house of cards ready to collapse.

I said to someone after the game against the Dolphins, this is one game, let's not get ahead of ourselves, we are now 6 wins in 21 (and I got howled down).

Storm will make it 6 in 23 (and pretty sure that's equal worst in that period).
Good points Ryan....the 1 thing Mr Seibold is 100% right about is an issue I have seen with Manly long before he arrived, the Best and Worst with Manly is miles apart, whereas better teams, it's far more consistent and Best to worst is not too far apart.

Letting Seibold build his own roster is a house of cards ready to collapse.
I am willing to see how we finish off 2023 but so far, losing faith the more games we play.....if the house building has Tom Talau as our Star off season signing, we could be in for a rough ride.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8