Des Hasler contract extension (2020)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So far, that's Keppie, Cust, Miski, Fainu (likely not even playing ) and Hasler extended, signed Davey (29 next year) and Foran (31 next year).

We've released AFB (top 3-4 props in the entire league, with no player swap), and Joel Thompson (one year option). Let Luke Metcalf, Corey Waddell, Tony Williams, Brendan Elliott, Morgan Boyle and probably Albert Hopoate go.

We've pissed off the Hopoate, Schuster and Guaca (I say Guaca because of Des limited game time versus how much impact / game time he got) camps.

We are unable to finalise a Jason Saab deal (long way off the Bob Fulton / Ken Arthurson days!)

Stephen Humphreys said announcements would be made when they can (and this would re-establish confidence in the club's strength), but if Davey (near league minimum), Foran (very low contract), Saab (marginal player) are the ins versus outs, we need to seriously rethink / retool a whole lot.

We came 13th, and we're heading south the longer the season went. There was no improvement.

Give us something to be positive about Manly. Please.
Will the real Stephen Humphreys please stand up !!!

I am told Mr Humphreys is a good bloke with a good sense of humour and so there is no malice intended in this post
I just want to rev him up a little ....
Winning is everything at Manly Mr Humphreys and we all hope you can fit in the great Arkos shoes . Please stand up and be counted as we are all counting on you !!!

MV5BOWQyNjE4ODYtY2RlMi00ODJiLWIyNjAtYjc3NDkzZjViMDAxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzAyMjU0Njg@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:
Surely with AFB's $800k and Thommo's $? we will see at least one or two major signings ... surely

But posters in another thread counting the number of players already in our top 30 have me concerned ..

I stick by my belief that we already have a top 6 roster ... but a couple of very good additions are needed to get us into a solid and consistent top 4 for mine ...

Totally agree mate, the numbers don't stack up. Unless Des is "frontloading" AFB's, Thommo's, Boyle's, Waddell's, Hoppa's, Elliott's, Levi's etc etc money into players this season, to reduce overall cap hit the season after next? But that's a pretty long stretch I guess.

I cannot fathom how we are paying a player X amount of dollars out of our salary cap to sit on a sideline to wait for a trial on attempted (is it murder?), manslaughter or whatever. Doesn't sit well with me.

Then he releases AFB. Why not demand a player in return? Des seems to release anyone quite easily (but that's another debate) like Brian Kelly & Addin Fonua-Blake .... quality players. I'd love to know why they don't want to be here (but the truth).

Funny thing is Crusher used to uncover players like The Stewart's, Matai's, Foran's, Lyon's. Unsure where those gems have gone now?

Anyways, full strength, agree, we can compete, but you're spot on with the fact we need a few more astute signings, or we'll be treading water...the rest of the league is getting fitter, stronger, bigger, smarter, more mobile...

Totally agree mate, the numbers don't stack up. Unless Des is "frontloading" AFB's, Thommo's, Boyle's, Waddell's, Hoppa's, Elliott's, Levi's etc etc money into players this season, to reduce overall cap hit the season after next? But that's a pretty long stretch I guess.

I cannot fathom how we are paying a player X amount of dollars out of our salary cap to sit on a sideline to wait for a trial on attempted (is it murder?), manslaughter or whatever. Doesn't sit well with me.

Then he releases AFB. Why not demand a player in return? Des seems to release anyone quite easily (but that's another debate) like Brian Kelly & Addin Fonua-Blake .... quality players. I'd love to know why they don't want to be here (but the truth).

Funny thing is Crusher used to uncover players like The Stewart's, Matai's, Foran's, Lyon's. Unsure where those gems have gone now?

Anyways, full strength, agree, we can compete, but you're spot on with the fact we need a few more astute signings, or we'll be treading water...the rest of the league is getting fitter, stronger, bigger, smarter, more mobile...
Has Boyle gone?

No FAINU, Walker, Suli, Turbo in the second half of the season. Injuries throughout to Thompson, AFB (suspended as well) Marty, Sironen, Garrick, Parker, Jorge, Elliot, Gojetski, Paseka, CUST, etc. No NSW Cup for players to get first grade ready. Our massive forward pack who trained all off season for a power game exposed by a sudden rule change.

Pessimistic alright!
Bench mark Perspective
We did have a few injuries but the fact is that we did not have the depth that other bench mark clubs had and that bit us on the arse this year
A competitive squad is a competitive 30 and not 17
Our overall squad was not competitive

No excuses we need solutions
We need to raise the bar to compete with the bench marks

Hmmm, not sure mate, im just going off what some have said here.
You are not sure ?
What do you mean you are not sure feathered friend ?
You are our number one reporter on here so do what you do best and find out for us !
Looking forward to hearing from you soon with the info
We will not have any complacency from any one on this forum
We all have to raise the bar !!! ; )

Bench mark Perspective
We did have a few injuries but the fact is that we did not have the depth that other bench mark clubs had and that bit us on the arse this year
A competitive squad is a competitive 30 and not 17
Our overall squad was not competitive

No excuses we need solutions
We need to raise the bar to compete with the bench marks
I agree, but it is what it is and Des can't be blamed for the lack of depth in a squad the Barrett assembled. I'm merely pointing Out the facts of what occurred during our last season, and how claiming Barrett and Des achieved the same result under similar circumstances is complete rubbish. You are aware that Bozo also played a part in putting together the current team aren't you?

Last edited:
It's a bit of both really, and it's perfectly acceptable to feel that way.

There's a lot of if's and but's in my optimism (does Fainu play?), (do we sign Saab), (do we retain Hopoate), (do we remain injury free), (does Schuster get a start at 6), (do we "appropriately" replace AFB - not just say Paseka is the replacement, he was already here !!), (do we improve depth).

Guys like Tom Trbojevic, Jason Saab, Dylan Walker, Moses Suli, Albert Hopoate, Josh Schuster and DCE need to be in our backline. Guys like Taufua, Funa, Parker, Cust, Croker, Garrick are quality depth, but aren't full time fixtures (talent and skillset wise) at present.

On the flipside, we certainly need to get better. I'm yet to see any of these signings that would bring confidence back to our clubs strength "as promised", which is frustrating (including coaching staff). Does Des stick with the same core group including Taufua, Garrick, Funa and others who won 30% of their games this season? I get it's about patience, but given the season we just experienced, that's quite thin atm.

Therefore, like a lot of people, I think there is bound to be a little bit in box A, a little bit in box B.

Our 2020 season wasn't good enough, but I think there are still a few puzzle pieces that need to go together for our squad next year.

I am more concerned about our coaching structures, game plans and injury management not being robust enough for the higher paced game.

But they have until March to sort it out... so I'll at least give Des and co until then before putting the boot in.

I agree, but it is what it is and Des can't be blamed for the lack of depth in a squad the Barrett assembled. I'm merely pointing Out the facts that occurred during our last season, and how claiming Barrett and Des achieved the same result under similar circumstances is complete rubbish. You are aware that Bozo also played a part in putting together the current team aren't you?
I am aware that the Incomparable Immortal signed the turbo brothers in to long term deals as well as bringing elite recruits Kappow and Walker and we are all aware that The incomparable immortal did not get the job fully done because Trent fell out with him and wanted to fly solo
That is all under the bridge now
We are all aware that Des will be in his 3rd season at the helm and he is all ready making his own bed that he will lie in and either rise in great glory or die in.

Last edited:
Des can and should be blamed for the way he used or didn't use the players available to him last year. When it comes to team selections the buck stops with him!

Des can and should be blamed for the way he used or didn't use the players available to him last year. When it comes to team selections the buck stops with him!

That just raised a thought ... I wonder how or what sort of role Freddy will have Jake playing in the SOO .. ?

PSS .. Just started a seperate thread .. thought it deserves some imput from our more tactically astute ..

Last edited:
Surely with AFB's $800k and Thommo's $? we will see at least one or two major signings ... surely

But posters in another thread counting the number of players already in our top 30 have me concerned ..

I stick by my belief that we already have a top 6 roster ... but a couple of very good additions are needed to get us into a solid and consistent top 4 for mine ...
Mate top 30 means jack$hit at this early stage. It can & will change before the deadline for releasing it to the NRL. Players will be removed & players added.

Mate top 30 means jack$hit at this early stage. It can & will change before the deadline for releasing it to the NRL. Players will be removed & players added.

Agree, but the disclaimer is always that a player under contract can only be moved on if there is another club that wants to take him ...

Ryan... Kelly was homesick & wanted to be closer to family hence the reason for his release. No point having a player who wants out & becomes a distraction. AFB obviously has other issues & although a big loss we’re better off without the resultant distractions if he did stay. In my mind we have a top 4 team & only need some astute signings to compliment what we have.....the losses are not so bad & there are still a couple who should go as well. Better to be patient & sign who & what we need rather than sign players just for the sake of it.

I'm still amazed at how quickly the whole AFB thing happened - usually there's a rumour or 2 hanging around for a while before something like that happens but it seemed it was first heard of on the Monday & the club announced his departure 2 or 3 days later.

Something really weird about that incident.

I am aware that the Incomparable Immortal signed the turbo brothers in to long term deals as well as bringing elite recruits Kappow and Walker and we are all aware that The incomparable immortal did not get the job fully done because Trent fell out with him and wanted to fly solo
That is all under the bridge now
We are all aware that Des will be in his 3rd season at the helm and he is all ready making his own bed that he will lie in and either rise in great glory or die in.
The great Dez Hasler has been directly involved in four Manly premierships. The great Bob Fulton in five. Not a lot of difference. The great Des Hasler went to the Bulldogs for a while before returning to the nest. The great Bob Fulton signed with Easts before doing the same. Both are Manly legends who know more about winning footy competitions than anyone on here.

Bob Fulton 5 premierships.
Des Hasler 4 Premierships.
I'm backing Des to become the greatest premiership winner in Manly's history.

So far, that's Keppie, Cust, Miski, Fainu (likely not even playing ) and Hasler extended, signed Davey (29 next year) and Foran (31 next year).

We've released AFB (top 3-4 props in the entire league, with no player swap), and Joel Thompson (one year option). Let Luke Metcalf, Corey Waddell, Tony Williams, Brendan Elliott, Morgan Boyle and probably Albert Hopoate go.

We've pissed off the Hopoate, Schuster and Guaca (I say Guaca because of Des limited game time versus how much impact / game time he got) camps.

We are unable to finalise a Jason Saab deal (long way off the Bob Fulton / Ken Arthurson days!)

Stephen Humphreys said announcements would be made when they can (and this would re-establish confidence in the club's strength), but if Davey (near league minimum), Foran (very low contract), Saab (marginal player) are the ins versus outs, we need to seriously rethink / retool a whole lot.

We came 13th, and we're heading south the longer the season went. There was no improvement.

Give us something to be positive about Manly. Please.
#NextWeek

Agree, but the disclaimer is always that a player under contract can only be moved on if there is another club that wants to take him ...
Hey Woodsie, were you a lower grade Manly winger, c. late 70s/early 80s? Also, we’re you friends with another Manly lower grader, who hailed from Tamworth, first name John (I won’t mention his second name) who was a Saints’ supporter?

I'm still amazed at how quickly the whole AFB thing happened - usually there's a rumour or 2 hanging around for a while before something like that happens but it seemed it was first heard of on the Monday & the club announced his departure 2 or 3 days later.

Something really weird about that incident.
I am so glad that the club dealt with the AFB situation the way they did. Not worth the fight and media beat up with characters like AFB. He left in probably a less ugly fashion than he deserved but we also got saved the negative press and player uncertainty.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4