DCE looking to extend

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Queenslander hahaha,I think Daly is underestimated he isn't the flashiest HB but even in the origin series his leadership and organization is what separates him from others .Eg Origin /he manages and directs team well doesn't get enough credit and let's Munster run riot ,blues are just hurting beaten by worst Qld team of all time except for Fatty's .I think he is a great leader if he stays u will probably find he may take a reduced price .
Why does everyone bring up Qld?
Who gives a fuk about Qld?
I care about Manly. This great club.
I couldn’t care less if he’s was in a secret love feast with Alfy( he’s not, and nothing wrong with that).

He needs to perform every single game for US, for MANLY. Not Qld, Not Australia.

And in reality he has a great game maybe 1 in 5? Probably 1 in 7, we need every single game to be great, dominant, be a leader, inspiring. And he’s not.

I hope to god he has the best season of his life and does a big old dirty snap on my head ( my opinion) and leads us to a fantastic season. Unfortunately I don’t think that will happen..

Don't forget the Nate Myles contract was part of the deal to get DCE to flip on Titans. They were best buddies and they bought off Wee Man to convince DCE to stay - so you can lump those two contracts in the one "worst contract" basket

Snaring Nate Myles might keep Daly Cherry-Evans at Manly​

• Brent Read and Margie McDonald​

authors
  • 1:00AM May 15, 2015
  • No Comments
Nate Myles is the captain of the Gold Coast Titans. He is also Manly’s star recruit for next season. Daly Cherry-Evans is the Manly halfback. He is also the Titans’ star recruit for next season.
The pair are reportedly good mates and Myles played an active role in convincing Cherry-Evans to move to the Gold Coast next season.
That was when Myles was still a chance of staying with the Titans. Now Myles has made the decision to move to Sydney’s northern beaches and Manly coach Geoff Toovey is convinced the Titans skipper is doing his level best to convince Cherry-Evans to change his mind and stay with Manly.

It’s a tangled web involving two of the biggest names in the game and a set of rules which continue to embarrass the code. Myles is a Gold Coast employee but if he is talking to Cherry-Evans about the prospects of playing together at Brookvale, he is in effect actively undermining his existing club.
Titans chief executive Graham Annesley says he has no plans to speak to Myles about the matter but described the suggestion as preposterous.
Yet Toovey appears convinced Myles is talking to Cherry-Evans about remaining at his current club, thereby performing a backflip of Olympic proportions on the Titans.
The risk for Cherry-Evans is the ridicule which will follow, although history has shown he doesn’t seem fussed by opinions in the outside world.
He appeared unperturbed when he was paraded around as part of his contract negotiations, raising the hackles of Manly fans and prompting the Sea Eagles to eventually pull their offer from the table.
He appeared unfazed as he tip-toed around the issue of his future, stringing everyone along by refusing to emphatically rule out a change of mind.
Nor has he appeared affected by continuous speculation over where he will play next season. Last weekend, he was instrumental in helping Manly to a win over Newcastle at Brookvale Oval.
Much is at stake and the Gold Coast have the most to lose.
If Cherry-Evans decides to turn his back on the Titans, it will be back to square one, minus their incumbent captain.
If Cherry-Evans decides to honour his commitment, in all likelihood he will replace Myles as Gold Coast captain in 2016, becoming the face of a franchise desperately attempting to secure its future on the tourist strip.
In reference to his imminent move to Manly, Myles has spoken about opting to play out his career at a club with a strong playing roster. When asked about Cherry-Evans’ future, Myles indicated his belief that his Queensland teammate would also look at the roster.
If the pair are on the same page, that would mean Cherry-Evans remaining at Manly. Sea Eagles players certainly remain hopeful their long-time teammate will change his mind and sign a new deal with Manly.
“We’re all giving Daly his space but we’d love him to stay. You saw what he did on the weekend,” prop Jake Trbojevic said.
“That’s his decision. We’re not putting any pressure on him.”
Hooker Matt Ballin knows the influence Myles can have after playing alongside him in the 2010 Queensland Origin team after Cameron Smith injured an elbow.
“As a young guy coming into that team he was very welcoming,” Ballin said of Myles.
“He was a real confidence builder and good player to have a chat too. He became a mate from that. He’s a really good fella and a genuine person.
“He’ll fit into the culture here because he plays the game tough and looks after his mates.”
He could also be a trump card for Cherry-Evans to stay.
“As a mate and as a player I hope he does,” Ballin said.
“But I’m not trying to put any pressure on him. He’s made his decision as far as I’m concerned so we’ll focus on the rest of the season with him at this club.”
Ballin said Myles’ signing was also a fillip for Toovey, whose position has been under scrutiny following the club’s indifferent start to the year.
“A quality player like Nate still wants to be challenged and to be coached to keep improving,” Ballin said.
“So that’s a great step for Toovs. Ever since we’ve been winning a couple of games the pressure has come off him.
“We have to take that responsibility on as players. Toovs can prepare us as well as he can but if we don’t go out on the field and go through that game plan, it doesn’t work.”
Haha completely forgot about that. Quality stuff from recruitment.

That’s the big question, do we have a young player coming up through the ranks who is the heir apparent. Any contract extension would have to be based around that. If we don’t have a replacement in the pipeline and we don’t keep DCE then we could be in dire straits
There are big wraps on young Humphr
I think we should look to the future. I know there’s all the sombrero stuff but the Roosters have been getting young Sam Walker ready for a while now and, at 18, he’s supposedly next cab off the rank.
We've got young Humphreys coming through, he's got big wraps on him and we're coming up to a changing of the guard, could possibly have the hottest halves combination in a couple of years with Shoe and Humphrys

I wouldn't be throwing $1.1M at a 35 yr old. However, if we got him for $700,000-$800,000 and he was playing decent footy I would be happy to sign him for another year or two.
So the question is about how much he’s worth as a 35 yo playing decent footy.
He’s worth what the market at the time demands.
Do other clubs want him? (Yes they will with some needing to offer overs.)
Are there similar players on the market?
Do we have a better than adequate replacement?
Are his post playing plans an off field role with Manly?

I can’t believe how polarised our fans are over our captain.
He’s a clean skin, speaks well ( for the most part), never any off field trouble, is on the top shelf of current halfbacks yet anyone would think we’re talking about Ben Hunt.

That is the problem, with dce's salary and if it were to continue into his next deal, then manly can't afford to get him the cattle he needs.
Personally I reckon we have the bones with Turbos, Walker, Suli, Marty and Foz (if he's not COMPLETELY broken)... we just need to have a decent run with injuries (yeah right) and have some of these young kids come good and replace some of the those guys that have good days and try hard (usually) but, imo, just aren't quite good enough...

Plus we really REALLY need a good 9...

The Dynamic and Durable DCE At 32 years of Age is playing the best footy of his career and he is only a Baby compared to Cam smith who at the age of 37 is being thrown millions of dollars to keep him on the field

Yes feathered friends , Age shall not weary the great players like our legendary captain DCE.
DCE is a worthy life time Investment and we should sell the harbour bridge , the spit bridge and the Manly farm to secure his services

A photo of the Spit Bridge raising in honour of the great DCE
Every one on the Silvertails forum please be upstanding !
405px-Spit_Bridge_open.jpg

Someone like Nathan Cleary, and before that I said a young one, then I clarified one of our young up and comers, geez special much! Are you trying to bait? If so fairly ordinary attempt.
I'm really not into baiting so no.
My simple point relates to so many saying let's just get xxxxxx player to replace DCE. Let's get xxxxxx to replace AFB. let get xxxxx in the centre position.
We aren't the rooters or the storm where top players want to come for unders and the glory.
We have the current QLD captain and possible Australian Captain and he's here for another 3 seasons. We have Turbo tied up for 5 seasons. The list goes on. We can't just get Cleary or Crichton or Papenhauzen or xxxxxx......

Can't see the rooters letting him go, he's been pencilled in as their long term 7
That was my point earlier. They’ve had him pencilled in for a long time. We need to pencil in our next half and surely Humphries can be ready at the end of the CURRENT DCE contract.
The Storm no longer have Smith, Cronk, and Slater and yet, according to today’s SMH poll, still have the top three players in the game. It’s called planning and not just reacting - something Manly has been guilty of since the Penns took power.

Last edited:
Why does everyone bring up Qld?
Who gives a fuk about Qld?
I care about Manly. This great club.
I couldn’t care less if he’s was in a secret love feast with Alfy( he’s not, and nothing wrong with that).

He needs to perform every single game for US, for MANLY. Not Qld, Not Australia.

And in reality he has a great game maybe 1 in 5? Probably 1 in 7, we need every single game to be great, dominant, be a leader, inspiring. And he’s not.

I hope to god he has the best season of his life and does a big old dirty snap on my head ( my opinion) and leads us to a fantastic season. Unfortunately I don’t think that will happen..
Exactly, State of Origin...LOL!

Qld win ten series in a row and are hungry for more. NSW win a series or two and get bored, while Qld start babbling about the whole concept being in trouble. They don't say that when they are winning! Notice the pattern? NSW are merely extras - it's a concern that people haven't figured that out after 40 or so years.

DEC wont be taking a pay cut I reckon he will be looking at his retirement fund. Hopefully he has a huge season this year because we need him at his best. However we need to have longer vision and develop our youth.

He'll do what is best for his family - they all do. Anyway the club would have to have rocks in their head if they were even entertaining the thought of extending his contract anytime before that final year (2023). Let's get through the next two seasons, see what he is bringing to the table, see what depth we have in the halves with the young guys and see how the team is travelling as a whole. Will Des even still be here then ??

He'll do what is best for his family - they all do. Anyway the club would have to have rocks in their head if they were even entertaining the thought of extending his contract anytime before that final year (2023). Let's get through the next two seasons, see what he is bringing to the table, see what depth we have in the halves with the young guys and see how the team is travelling as a whole. Will Des even still be here then ??

Coachkiller ?

Coachkiller ?
Who knows ?? Des is only signed till end of this season, but there was strong talk he was close to signing an extension for another 2-3 years. Haven't seen anything official though, unless I missed it.

Maybe talks have gone cold after a less than stellar performance last year. Be interesting to see how we adapt to the new rules second year in.

Cleary isn't going anywhere.

I'll agree there aren't loads of better halfbacks around and that DCE is one of the best in the comp generally BUT he has shown for many years now since this lifetime deal that he can't carry this team on his back to success... in fact rarely anywhere close.

You can argue it's not his fault and to some extent I could accept that BUT it hardly presents much of an argument to keep going down the same path we have been down now for 5 or 6 years with very little success. Eg The path of paying DCE whatever he wants cause he's a top halfback and there's nobody else, to hell with the salary cap and hope for the best ?? I don't think so.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2