DCE looking to extend

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Cherry was winning Clive Churchill medals in the losing side at the same age lol... plus he has a premiership, SOO captaincy and international wins since...

Put the cattle around Cherry and I will back him over the wunderkind every time...
Ok no point debating with a DCE fanboy....I like DCE and he has been great for the club but I wouldn’t renew a 35 years old contract at anywhere near what he would want.

Short memories? I recall the constant wailing and gnashing of teeth about the failings of our various halfbacks, prior to luring Orford back from the Storm. (And how much did we pay Matt, who knows, but I recall rumours about apartment blocks!)
Point being it is the highest pressure role, every failing is studied with a microscope and exposed.
The only halves who haven't been regularly hammered by their own fans in the past 20 years would be Cronk, Johns and Thurston. And if you think we could pick up someone like them at a bargain price, good luck.
Imagine if we had signed Hunt, or Ash Taylor for over a million! Even Reynolds and Pearce, both good halfbacks, yet the weaknesses in their game are constantly highlighted.
I'm glad we have DCE and am a tad concerned about who we'll have when he's gone. Maybe some young kid with potential. Whatever happened to Aaron Groom?

That’s the big question, do we have a young player coming up through the ranks who is the heir apparent. Any contract extension would have to be based around that. If we don’t have a replacement in the pipeline and we don’t keep DCE then we could be in dire straits

Relax everyone, he is just saying he could see himself playing on past his current deal and would love to be a 1 club man.

No need for any action now, we wait 18 months to 2 years then only offer extensions on a year by year basis if we feel it is worthwhile at say 700-800k

Ok no point debating with a DCE fanboy....I like DCE and he has been great for the club but I wouldn’t renew a 35 years old contract at anywhere near what he would want.
no use debating if you don't like dealing with facts bud - easier to label me a 'fanboy' lol...

Cleary was TERRIBLE in the GF last year and he was TERRIBLE in game 3 of SOO this year (with a team of 'superstars')...

It might depend on what the NRL wants to do the club may offer a reduced contact and DCE may be happy with but the NRL might knock it back , plus he will get reduced contact with being a 10 year player

Relax everyone, he is just saying he could see himself playing on past his current deal and would love to be a 1 club man.

No need for any action now, we wait 18 months to 2 years then only offer extensions on a year by year basis if we feel it is worthwhile at say 700-800k
I agree that should be the approach by the club but I suspect KW is on the money and a new club in Qld would mean big bucks headed Cherry's way...

...he is a great public speaker, a great player, has a clean record and would make a perfect representative for a new Brisbane team...

That’s the big question, do we have a young player coming up through the ranks who is the heir apparent. Any contract extension would have to be based around that. If we don’t have a replacement in the pipeline and we don’t keep DCE then we could be in dire straits
That's the other downside to lifetime contracts. What up and coming young half in his right mind is going to come to Manly and sit behind DCE for up to 8 years. No one. How do you lure a young half if he has no perceivable path to playing NRL outside of injury.

Yeah, but Chris Close and Bob Lindner used to tear it up in State of Origin as well...I wouldn't have fed either of them in club football. Cleary does do well in club football.
he does... but it doesn't matter sprouting how hot your date was if you got stage fright at the big dance...

no use debating if you don't like dealing with facts bud - easier to label me a 'fanboy' lol...

Cleary was TERRIBLE in the GF last year and he was TERRIBLE in game 3 of SOO this year (with a team of 'superstars')...
Lol! Not to mention the fact that Cleary is signed to a lengthy contract at a club where his father is the coach. I'd be interested to hear how @Franko envisions us luring him away.

I expect dce will have a bumper year in 2023 , showcasing skills we have all been waiting for. But playing for a contract does that for most players. It will be then we will see how this was the worst contract in manly history.

For me this player threatened manly when he was underpaid and has taken the piss ever since by being massively overpaid and hamming it up

He can stay on about half or be someone elses issue

How old will the Humphreys kid be when the DCE contract is up?

Absolutely not. Easily easily the worst contract we’ve ever handed out. The only way his contract could ever be validated is with a Premiership! Said it many many times over the years in the DCE thread, we won’t win another Premiership with him on our books.

And I couldn’t give a fuk if he’s a good speaker. I want a game manager, a leader of men ( J Lyon says hi), someone who brings the team together and not divides them. Maybe someone with a short kicking game? Or maybe someone who doesn’t run around like a chook with no head.

Massive no. No. Oh god no. Fuk no

Absolutely not. Easily easily the worst contract we’ve ever handed out. The only way his contract could ever be validated is with a Premiership! Said it many many times over the years in the DCE thread, we won’t win another Premiership with him on our books.

And I couldn’t give a fuk if he’s a good speaker. I want a game manager, a leader of men ( J Lyon says hi), someone who brings the team together and not divides them. Maybe someone with a short kicking game? Or maybe someone who doesn’t run around like a chook with no head.

Massive no. No. Oh god no. Fuk no
so you're not keen?

It might depend on what the NRL wants to do the club may offer a reduced contact and DCE may be happy with but the NRL might knock it back , plus he will get reduced contact with being a 10 year player

Benjie Marshall and Kieran Foran are both playing for food stamps this year ... 2 years is a long time in any footballers career .. and it is an eternity in the career of a 34 year old ...

All will be resolved in the fullness of time ....

he does... but it doesn't matter sprouting how hot your date was if you got stage fright at the big dance...
I guess for Panthers fans the big dance is winning a premiership, not Origin. I don't really care how many Origins DCE wins. It is all about Manly for me. I haven't watched Origin for three years as I simply don't care. Origin is purely a Qld circle jerk and always has been.

I think this year will be a big one for DCE. Great player and with some fit guys around him can do anything on the field. Imo he is still the best clutch field goal kicker in the league and prob in more recent history. Every time we head into Golden point or field goal kick offs I’m always real confident we will win with DCE.

Even if field goals were worth 25 points its a giant no

Ive compared him to michael bevan before. Loved to play it down to the wire, lovef the hero status he got but in reality he cost us more games than he won for us with bogged down batting putting pressure on the other end to score big and fast and getting out while he hogged the strike and ticked it over at 1 an over

People love those throw your beer in the air moments in sport but they are a dime a dozen.

Bevan and cherry are last minute junkies

I guess for Panthers fans the big dance is winning a premiership, not Origin. I don't really care how many Origins DCE wins. It is all about Manly for me. I haven't watched Origin for three years as I simply don't care.
Agree - and DCE has played 2 GFs for a win and a MOM in a losing side...

DCE is the cherry-on-top when it comes to big matches... something that young Cleary is yet to demonstrate...

I wish we had got him for less coin too but he is consistently one of our best performers in sh*t team efforts... just wish his short kicking game was a bit more consistent - because when it is on he is an out-and-out gun...

Even if field goals were worth 25 points its a giant no

Ive compared him to michael bevan before. Loved to play it down to the wire, lovef the hero status he got but in reality he cost us more games than he won for us with bogged down batting putting pressure on the other end to score big and fast and getting out while he hogged the strike and ticked it over at 1 an over

People love those throw your beer in the air moments in sport but they are a dime a dozen.

Bevan and cherry are last minute junkies
Haha, yes I agree with that comparison. I used to call Greg Blewett 'The Sponge' as he soaked up 100 balls to score 50 in a one dayer - damage done!

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8