DCE looking to extend

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So the question is about how much he’s worth as a 35 yo playing decent footy.
He’s worth what the market at the time demands.
Do other clubs want him? (Yes they will with some needing to offer overs.)
Are there similar players on the market?
Do we have a better than adequate replacement?
Are his post playing plans an off field role with Manly?

I can’t believe how polarised our fans are over our captain.
He’s a clean skin, speaks well ( for the most part), never any off field trouble, is on the top shelf of current halfbacks yet anyone would think we’re talking about Ben Hunt.
All good points mate. For what is it's worth, I'm a DCE fan and think he gets bagged unfairly by both Manly and opposition supporters. My point was while he probably will be still command ~$1M on the open market, I'm hoping some of the loyalty shown DCE by the club will be returned, ie he takes unders for a year or two. He strikes me as the sort of bloke that probably will, but I won't hold it against him if he doesn't.

Cleary isn't going anywhere.

I'll agree there aren't loads of better halfbacks around and that DCE is one of the best in the comp generally BUT he has shown for many years now since this lifetime deal that he can't carry this team on his back to success... in fact rarely anywhere close.

You can argue it's not his fault and to some extent I could accept that BUT it hardly presents much of an argument to keep going down the same path we have been down now for 5 or 6 years with very little success. Eg The path of paying DCE whatever he wants cause he's a top halfback and there's nobody else, to hell with the salary cap and hope for the best ?? I don't think so.
To be fair, apart from Andrew Johns...can you name a halfback that has put a team on his back and taken them to the title?

By "on his back" it needs to be an example of a halfback with no recognised 5/8 next to him and lacking depth generally (which has been DCE's situation for the majority of his career - remembering he did win with Foran). Thurston couldn't - he needed Morgan, had Taumaolo, Jake Granville in peak form and Matt Scott etc.

Cronk had the two best teams in decades at his disposal with the best hooker in history at Melbourne along with Finch, Widdop, Munster etc. Then he had Keary and the sombrero gang at the Roosters.

The Sharks had a tough, talented and well balanced team with a solid half-back who certainly didn't put anyone on his back.

I can't think of anyone other than Andrew Johns who won with Sean Rudder next to him, and even then he had Buderus and a star backline.

As for an extension, I totally agree that we should not sign him on the kind of money he is on now - no more than 900K given his age etc. I would also be happy to move onto a younger promising player; however, I think the narrative of halfbacks carrying their teams is a little exaggerated at times.

Lets play this forward - if the price is $1m/year at the end of the current deal..... who would you sign:
DCE (older, experienced, successful record) or Turbo (young, potential, amazing, injury prone)?

DCE is the best thing that happened to our club since the Stewart Brothers or Beaver before them. He's a professional, represents the club well, is rarely in the news, and wins us games of football.

Blood legend.

Sign him up

It’s 2024, Cherry is 35.

Brisbane mark 2 want a marquee player to hang their hats off and offers him circa 1.5 million.

Thanks for the memories Daly.

Simple as that !!
At that price I think we would be out of the game for sure... at his current price i reckon he is going nowhere...

To be fair, apart from Andrew Johns...can you name a halfback that has put a team on his back and taken them to the title?

By "on his back" it needs to be an example of a halfback with no recognised 5/8 next to him and lacking depth generally (which has been DCE's situation for the majority of his career - remembering he did win with Foran). Thurston couldn't - he needed Morgan, had Taumaolo, Jake Granville in peak form and Matt Scott etc.

Cronk had the two best teams in decades at his disposal with the best hooker in history at Melbourne along with Finch, Widdop, Munster etc. Then he had Keary and the sombrero gang at the Roosters.

The Sharks had a tough, talented and well balanced team with a solid half-back who certainly didn't put anyone on his back.

I can't think of anyone other than Andrew Johns who won with Sean Rudder next to him, and even then he had Buderus and a star backline.

As for an extension, I totally agree that we should not sign him on the kind of money he is on now - no more than 900K given his age etc. I would also be happy to move onto a younger promising player; however, I think the narrative of halfbacks carrying their teams is a little exaggerated at times.
Great summary, and very accurate.

It’s 2024, Cherry is 35.

Brisbane mark 2 want a marquee player to hang their hats off and offers him circa 1.5 million.

Thanks for the memories Daly.

Simple as that !!

If they offer him half that id still show him the door.

PS and I am a DCE fan.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8