DCE looking to extend

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I was lol-ing at the idea that Cleary is better than Chez... don't take it personally @Franko...

...I am more than happy to debate different trains of thought (ask around lol) and am not trying to stop you from expressing your thoughts/ideas champion... I just don't agree that throwing a heap of coin at Cleary would be a better approach than throwing the same coin at Cherry... imo people always like the new shiny toy but often forget the quality design of the old dusty one...

I don't think I know better but I do know that Cherry EARNT the coin he got through outstanding performances for the maroon and white... for the record, he should have been 2 for 2 in GFs and his performances were outstanding (even within a 'team of champion')...

Yes .. but ... he had a beer at the cricket ....

I do agree with you that DCE is a great player and he is better than Cleary at this point in time, however my point was we are better off throwing money at a younger star than one at age 35 when contracts are up. Maybe I should have just said a young player and left it at that. If DCE took a massive pay cut then maybe look at him. His current pay packet limits us from exploring other options. I’d rather invest in our future stars who will be wanting upgrades in 2023, like Shoe Koula, Burbo etc
All fair points champion... I take the approach that for every Cleary there are 5 Luke Brooks whereas Chez is still competing his butt off...

Zane Harris,Kaeo Weekes,Jay Humpreys,Emmanuel Di Bartolo,Latu Fainu are some of the young guys we already have.Jude Gibbs the guy from rugby supposedly is a good game manager and kicker but would need time.
Paul Turner from Warriors,Jock Madden from Tigers,Ronald Volkman from Roosters are young guys with a future.
For me,just wait and see,if new Brisbane team comes in and throws cash at him then he can go,if he wants to stay for reasonable coin then negotiate,if young players are not ready and no young guys on market then look at an experienced option(Reynolds from Souths is struggling to come to terms with Bunnies)
For me overpaying for a guy who is at the end of their career is not the best idea.Talk to him now and see what he would want to stay and then at least you have an idea....

DCE has young kids likely about to hit the school system (if not already) and is settled in Freshie in a nice place. Would he want to move them to Qld? Or is he here to stay in Sydney and considering post-footy options?

I would like to see him as a 1-club player. Seems such a rarity nowadays, and as many people have pointed out his contract is not as outrageous now as it was when inked several years back.

Agree that there should be room to negotiate his price - but agreeing to a post-footy role at the club wouldn't be the worst thing Manly could do - it would be very Rooster-esque actually.

Daly is very well spoken ambassador to the sport and is largely 'clean' off the field, if he could guide some of our younger players to be better off the field as well as on it then it might be worth extending him to finish his career here.

If he just wants to play out his years before hopping back up to Qld permanently though, then it likely mitigates that post-footy wiggle-room, and we shouldn't get into a bidding war with a Qld club wanting a marquee name on their roster - and focus on developing some of our youngsters in his last couple of seasons.

I do agree with you that DCE is a great player and he is better than Cleary at this point in time, however my point was we are better off throwing money at a younger star than one at age 35 when contracts are up. Maybe I should have just said a young player and left it at that. If DCE took a massive pay cut then maybe look at him. His current pay packet limits us from exploring other options. I’d rather invest in our future stars who will be wanting upgrades in 2023, like Shoe Koula, Burbo etc
I wasn’t too impressed with Koula in the trial (or anyone, apart from Davey tbh). But, like Weekes he’s only a kid who played against a pretty much full Tigers side.
But someone on here mentioned the other day that he (Koula)scored a hat-trick of tries for SG ball last week. That’s the sort of thing I love to hear. He’s obviously gone back, taking the experience of the trial, and no doubt had good ppl around him to look where to improve .
Give Weekes, Koula, Humphries two more years, and who knows. I love DCE, but I’ve also got faith in our juniors coming thru to take the reins if DCE is lured elsewhere at the end of his contract.

I say it again.... why would he come to us? Fact is he wouldn't....
Someone like Nathan Cleary, and before that I said a young one, then I clarified one of our young up and comers, geez special much! Are you trying to bait? If so fairly ordinary attempt.

Nate Myles and Brett Stewart (2017 extension) say hi...
Don't forget the Nate Myles contract was part of the deal to get DCE to flip on Titans. They were best buddies and they bought off Wee Man to convince DCE to stay - so you can lump those two contracts in the one "worst contract" basket

Snaring Nate Myles might keep Daly Cherry-Evans at Manly​

• Brent Read and Margie McDonald​

authors
  • 1:00AM May 15, 2015
  • No Comments
Nate Myles is the captain of the Gold Coast Titans. He is also Manly’s star recruit for next season. Daly Cherry-Evans is the Manly halfback. He is also the Titans’ star recruit for next season.
The pair are reportedly good mates and Myles played an active role in convincing Cherry-Evans to move to the Gold Coast next season.
That was when Myles was still a chance of staying with the Titans. Now Myles has made the decision to move to Sydney’s northern beaches and Manly coach Geoff Toovey is convinced the Titans skipper is doing his level best to convince Cherry-Evans to change his mind and stay with Manly.

It’s a tangled web involving two of the biggest names in the game and a set of rules which continue to embarrass the code. Myles is a Gold Coast employee but if he is talking to Cherry-Evans about the prospects of playing together at Brookvale, he is in effect actively undermining his existing club.
Titans chief executive Graham Annesley says he has no plans to speak to Myles about the matter but described the suggestion as preposterous.
Yet Toovey appears convinced Myles is talking to Cherry-Evans about remaining at his current club, thereby performing a backflip of Olympic proportions on the Titans.
The risk for Cherry-Evans is the ridicule which will follow, although history has shown he doesn’t seem fussed by opinions in the outside world.
He appeared unperturbed when he was paraded around as part of his contract negotiations, raising the hackles of Manly fans and prompting the Sea Eagles to eventually pull their offer from the table.
He appeared unfazed as he tip-toed around the issue of his future, stringing everyone along by refusing to emphatically rule out a change of mind.
Nor has he appeared affected by continuous speculation over where he will play next season. Last weekend, he was instrumental in helping Manly to a win over Newcastle at Brookvale Oval.
Much is at stake and the Gold Coast have the most to lose.
If Cherry-Evans decides to turn his back on the Titans, it will be back to square one, minus their incumbent captain.
If Cherry-Evans decides to honour his commitment, in all likelihood he will replace Myles as Gold Coast captain in 2016, becoming the face of a franchise desperately attempting to secure its future on the tourist strip.
In reference to his imminent move to Manly, Myles has spoken about opting to play out his career at a club with a strong playing roster. When asked about Cherry-Evans’ future, Myles indicated his belief that his Queensland teammate would also look at the roster.
If the pair are on the same page, that would mean Cherry-Evans remaining at Manly. Sea Eagles players certainly remain hopeful their long-time teammate will change his mind and sign a new deal with Manly.
“We’re all giving Daly his space but we’d love him to stay. You saw what he did on the weekend,” prop Jake Trbojevic said.
“That’s his decision. We’re not putting any pressure on him.”
Hooker Matt Ballin knows the influence Myles can have after playing alongside him in the 2010 Queensland Origin team after Cameron Smith injured an elbow.
“As a young guy coming into that team he was very welcoming,” Ballin said of Myles.
“He was a real confidence builder and good player to have a chat too. He became a mate from that. He’s a really good fella and a genuine person.
“He’ll fit into the culture here because he plays the game tough and looks after his mates.”
He could also be a trump card for Cherry-Evans to stay.
“As a mate and as a player I hope he does,” Ballin said.
“But I’m not trying to put any pressure on him. He’s made his decision as far as I’m concerned so we’ll focus on the rest of the season with him at this club.”
Ballin said Myles’ signing was also a fillip for Toovey, whose position has been under scrutiny following the club’s indifferent start to the year.
“A quality player like Nate still wants to be challenged and to be coached to keep improving,” Ballin said.
“So that’s a great step for Toovs. Ever since we’ve been winning a couple of games the pressure has come off him.
“We have to take that responsibility on as players. Toovs can prepare us as well as he can but if we don’t go out on the field and go through that game plan, it doesn’t work.”

Queenslander hahaha,I think Daly is underestimated he isn't the flashiest HB but even in the origin series his leadership and organization is what separates him from others .Eg Origin /he manages and directs team well doesn't get enough credit and let's Munster run riot ,blues are just hurting beaten by worst Qld team of all time except for Fatty's .I think he is a great leader if he stays u will probably find he may take a reduced price .

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4