[Resurrected] DCE is the worst halfback in the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Can I ask which halves you see running to to line before kicking for metres?

What you make up in 3-4metres I think is far outweighed by what you lose in accuracy and depth. Kicking deep on the run is prone to errors.

It terms of positioning closer to the advantage line, sure but you need clean crisp service for that. Something we have lacked for years.
Hughes, moses do it pretty regular. Reynolds, Hynes and deardon

Running at the lines gives kickers opportunity to kick elsewhere based on play. They can alsu run it if wingers drop back or it opens up. When did we do that last

Cleary and munster kicks off the hip of the dummy half more but are always ready to run it if the defence staggers. Dce has improved in this area of kicking, not running , a bit since seibold and will position himself behind dummy half and go the 40/20 but it seems to be reserved for these moments and possibly the 3rd tackle clearing kick

Not sure we should be too concerned about accuracy , far too many of our kicks are not high enough or 2 shallow anyway

I must indicate i am not talking about the short kicking game

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
Hughes, moses do it pretty regular. Reynolds, Hynes and deardon

Running at the lines gives kickers opportunity to kick elsewhere based on play. They can alsu run it if wingers drop back or it opens up. When did we do that last

Cleary and munster kicks off the hip of the dummy half more but are always ready to run it if the defence staggers. Dce has improved in this area of kicking, not running , a bit since seibold and will position himself behind dummy half and go the 40/20 but it seems to be reserved for these moments and possibly the 3rd tackle clearing kick

Not sure we should be too concerned about accuracy , far too many of our kicks are not high enough or 2 shallow anyway

I must indicate i am not talking about the short kicking game
I'd argue accuracy in long kicking is important, finding the grass or getting a team to start their sets pegged into a corner so you can jam them is very beneficial.

Tbh I've not noticed the above players running to the line before kicking too often but that said, I've not really being focusing in on it.

I'll pay attention in the games I watch this weekend.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I'd argue accuracy in long kicking is important, finding the grass or getting a team to start their sets pegged into a corner so you can jam them is very beneficial.

Tbh I've not noticed the above players running to the line before kicking too often but that said, I've not really being focusing in on it.

I'll pay attention in the games I watch this weekend.
No player can do it every-time. Thats not my gripe. Moons need to align but if you dont position yourself with intent they never will

Accuracy is important , i was implying we are currently not protecting

Hughes and moses are the best i reckon

The Indian

Bencher
The reality is that DCE is a big game player. The bigger the occasion, the better he plays.

He's proven that for Qld time and time again and in days past he proved it for Manly with great games in the 2011 and 2013 Grand Finals.

Its been like that since the day he started playing first grade in 2011. You'll hear him say he puts in the same for each game whether it be for Manly, Qld or Australia, and on face value its easy to believe. But he always manages to produce that something special in big games, like Origin.

Honestly, if we manage to get into another Grand Final before he retires, I'd expect him to have a blinder based on there is no bigger occasion in the game than a Grand Final. That (and playing off the front foot) are what he thrives on.
This idea that if and when we get to the big stage again in future DCE will play his best games is an idea I am holding on to also. He seems to carry minimal baggage or fear of failure so tends to excel best when others are feeling the pressure. He seems a very unique person in that regard, very resilient. Even on the nights when he's struggling he still backs himself to the hilt ( for good and for bad as we all know ) when most would hide away or pull back. Very hard guy to pigeon hole, not sure I've seen too many like him.

I just hope during his tenure we have a few more big nights cause I'm confident he will fire. My worry is more will we find out by winning enough of the middle of the road games that get you there

manlyfan76

There is no A.I. Just better computers
I can clearly remember the chat on here in 2011. Over the first few rounds there was so much hate on here for DCE.
Some if us defended him against the tide of "I could of been an NRL player" hobos that continues to death ride the best 7 in the game.

Get over it.

KNUCKLES

Bencher
And Manly could have given it to him and saved themselves a sh*t-tonne of money on what they ended up paying him…
Can’t blame a guy for maximising his return - Manly chose to play Texas hold ‘em with him and got smashed on the river…
No this was way earlier, this was after his first year of first grade

frank stokes

I discriminate indiscriminately
No this was way earlier, this was after his first year of first grade

Fair enough, but if I saw my teammates, taking ‘unders’ the way, the choc, Foz and God knows who else obviously were then I’d probably want my little bit of cream as well…

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Really amazes me the criticism DCE gets on this site. I must be watching a different game. Bluntly I'll say DCE is only matched by Toovey, Fulton and Cliff Lyons as the best half/five eighths Manly have had since I started watching in 1965.

DCE does everything. Runs the ball, sets up tries, goal kicks, field goal kicks (both feet), 20/40s, defends like a demon, is everywhere on the field and has the responsibility of the captaincy. What more are people looking for. Bluntly DCE has never been the problem that has caused Manly's problems in the past decade. He makes errors but what player doesn't who tries so hard.

The salary issue returns time and time again, but who caused that problem. Not DCE but some poor judgement calls by the club laying out the carpet for Foran, and letting DCE go and then finding Foran sign with the Eels. Dont you guys remember Foran was being offered a fortune at Parramatta at $1.1 Million a year for 4 years. DCE signed with the Titans for 4 years at $1.3 million a year. He was prepared to renege on that deal for a contract at $1.2 million for 10 years which was a reduction. What do you expect when he's signed a million dollar a year contract with the Titans. Did you expect him to come back with serious unders. Ridiculous. Get over it. Turbo earns a comparable wage yet he's played 50% of the games in the last 4-5 years. DCE rarely misses a game. Yet there's this incessant attack on DCE. I'm beginning to wonder if we have trolls on this site.

Last edited:

madmax

Bencher
Really amazes me the criticism DCE gets on this site. I must be watching a different game. Bluntly I'll say DCE is only matched by Toovey, Fulton and Cliff Lyons as the best half/five eighths Manly have had since I started watching in 1965.

DCE does everything. Runs the ball, sets up tries, goal kicks, field goal kicks (both feet), 20/40s, defends like a demon, is everywhere on the field and has the responsibility of the captaincy. What more are people looking for. Bluntly DCE has never been the problem that has caused Manly's problems in the past decade. He makes errors but what player doesn't who tries so hard.

The salary issue returns time and time again, but who caused that problem. Not DCE but some poor judgement calls by the club laying out the carpet for Foran, and letting DCE go and then finding Foran sign with the Eels. Dont you guys remember Foran was being offered a fortune at Parramatta at $1.1 Million a year for 4 years. DCE signed with the Titans for 4 years at $1.3 million a year. He was prepared to renege on that deal for a 10 contract at $1.2 million for 10 years which was a reduction. What do you expect when he's signed a million dollar a year contract with the Titans. Did you expect him to come back with serious unders. Ridiculous. Get over it. Turbo earns a comparable wage yet he's played 50% of the games in the last 4-5 years. DCE rarely misses a game. Yet there's this incessant attack on DCE. I'm beginning to wonder if we have trolls on this site.
Bear….i’ve said on here numerous times….for some no one is good enough to wear Maroon & White! DCE is a champion & legend of this club. I am NSW thru & thru but the last 3 years have been a Qld supporter only coz of DCE & the fwit selections Fittler made!

Ryan

Journey Man

The salary issue returns time and time again, but who caused that problem. Not DCE but some poor judgement calls by the club laying out the carpet for Foran, and letting DCE go and then finding Foran sign with the Eels. Dont you guys remember Foran was being offered a fortune at Parramatta at $1.1 Million a year for 4 years. DCE signed with the Titans for 4 years at $1.3 million a year. He was prepared to renege on that deal for a 10 contract at $1.2 million for 10 years which was a reduction. What do you expect when he's signed a million dollar a year contract with the Titans. Did you expect him to come back with serious unders. Ridiculous. Get over it. Turbo earns a comparable wage yet he's played 50% of the games in the last 4-5 years. DCE rarely misses a game. Yet there's this incessant attack on DCE. I'm beginning to wonder if we have trolls on this site.

DCE isn't in Matt Orford's shadow mate, come on.
40 - 0

Eagle 1

First Grader
Not hard as he has a top class forward pack in front of him and a coach who really understands the game.
Not got a lot of time for ex Storm players, but if we were on the lookout for another coach and Slater was available I'd take him in a heartbeat.

manlyfan76

Luke Brooks was blasted as the problem at the Tigers.
He has won more games this year than his last two at tigers.

Was Thurston the problem at cowboys for all the lean years before they built a good roster and won the GF?

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
DCE isn't in Matt Orford's shadow mate, come on.
40 - 0

Orford was a good half. Not a great one. He had Brett and Glenn Stewart, Matai, Bell, Jamie Lyon, Kite, King, Watmough, Robertson, Williams, Ballin, Perry, Menzies in the 2008 side. He had a champion side around him. He was good because he ensured the stars got good ball. Now being in such a top side, and being in a top side when with the Storm, he should have easily got rep duties. What was his rep history? Three games with NSW City side.

DCE is a top tier half. For years since 2015 he has had a pedestrian backline with the only other rep player unavailable for long terms in Turbo. The forward line up has been adequate, but do they compare with the 2008 or 2011 side? No way. Yet DCE has often been in a side languishing in the bottom half of the comp, and has still been selected as Test and Queensland half, and is now Queensland captain in a winning side.. He's played 21 tests, 23 SOOS, 3 PM 13s, one Rookie of the Year 2011, half back of the year 2014, is one of only three players to have won the Clive Churchill Award in a losing Grand Final side 2013.

Of course you have the right to a personal perspective as we all have. But the figures, the opinions of the Manly, Queensland and Australian selectors, seem to see things quite differently. Orford was a good fit in a top tier side. A good safe player but not a great one. DCE has been playing in an average side as captain with a backline with only himself and often absent Turbo making an impact. He's a top tier player, and the information available seems very much to support that position. Is there factual or even conjectural material that I've missed?

manlyfan76

Orford was a good half. Not a great one. He had Brett and Glenn Stewart, Matai, Bell, Jamie Lyon, Kite, King, Watmough, Robertson, Williams, Ballin, Perry, Menzies in the 2008 side. He had a champion side around him. He was good because he ensured the stars got good ball. Now being in such a top side, and being in a top side when with the Storm, he should have easily got rep duties. What was his rep history? Three games with NSW City side.

DCE is a top tier half. For years since 2015 he has had a pedestrian backline with the only other rep player unavailable for long terms in Turbo. The forward line up has been adequate, but do they compare with the 2008 or 2011 side? No way. Yet DCE has often been in a side languishing in the bottom half of the comp, and has still been selected as Test and Queensland half, and is now Queensland captain in a winning side.. He's played 21 tests, 23 SOOS, 3 PM 13s, one Rookie of the Year 2011, half back of the year 2014, is one of only three players to have won the Clive Churchill Award in a losing Grand Final side 2013.

Of course you have the right to a personal perspective as we all have. But the figures, the opinions of the Manly, Queensland and Australian selectors, seem to see things quite differently. Orford was a good fit in a top tier side. A good safe player but not a great one. DCE has been playing in an average side as captain with a backline with only himself and often absent Turbo making an impact. He's a top tier player, and the information available seems very much to support that position. Is there factual or even conjectural material that I've missed?
DCE with prime Lyon as his 5/8

Now that would be something

Ron E. Gibbs

First Grader
Orford should have played Origin, but missed out when he finally was selected (in 2004) through injury.

The Ox was a great little player, but yeah, his rep career pales in comparison to DCE's. Most players' rep careers pale in comparison to DCE's. But they've both won the same amount of premierships for Manly: ie, not enough. :)

Can not understand believe any of this ****TTTT I'm reading. GET A LIFE U bunch of IDIOTS and go support another team NOW U FOOL. He's Captain of our Country, State of 6millions people, in Qld. HE just won man of the match and saved our arsses many times over the years. If he's ****ttt then he wouldn't be Captaining a team let alone state and won and man of the match.WAKE UP AND SUPPORT OUR CAPTAIN U FOOL. He can't do it all on his own, wake the other idiots up.

He can play as long as he wants to and U don't have a clue so get lost.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16