[Resurrected] DCE is the worst halfback in the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

frank stokes

I discriminate indiscriminately
What grated on me was not so much the time he was offered his multi$$ multi year contract (and I suppose good on him for that one) but in his debut year his manager had negotiated a contract worth peanuts and the manager then pushed for an upgrade and to the point that he will not train/play. That was what brought everything unstuck with Manly and the senior players.
Yeah but it was easy for blokes that were on good coin to tell the kid to wait his turn…
And let’s face it, the only ‘unders ’ that those blokes were taking was ‘under’ the table payments…

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Yeah but it was easy for blokes that were on good coin to tell the kid to wait his turn…
And let’s face it, the only ‘unders ’ that those blokes were taking was ‘under’ the table payments…
The choice to sign was the managers and the player. Regret is regret and should also be owned by the mananger and player. He signed for 3 years on mimimum. No one wanted cha cha. He never ever felt the need to stand down while being paid overs either just quietly . Matai being a classic example, we knocked back his attempt to get out for more money, maybe twice

I know its not reality now but it was much more so back then

HoldenV8

Journey Man
The reality is that DCE is a big game player. The bigger the occasion, the better he plays.

He's proven that for Qld time and time again and in days past he proved it for Manly with great games in the 2011 and 2013 Grand Finals.

Its been like that since the day he started playing first grade in 2011. You'll hear him say he puts in the same for each game whether it be for Manly, Qld or Australia, and on face value its easy to believe. But he always manages to produce that something special in big games, like Origin.

Honestly, if we manage to get into another Grand Final before he retires, I'd expect him to have a blinder based on there is no bigger occasion in the game than a Grand Final. That (and playing off the front foot) are what he thrives on.

The Indian

Bencher
I've been one of Dalys harshest critics ( not cause I think he can't play, he's probably the best halfback Manly have ever had by most measures) but because the style of footy he plays for us and QLD has historically rarely been the same and last night was textbook example. Nobody is surprised at what he did last night for QLD.

For QLD he picks and chooses his times to take risks and plays a more conservative field position game ( as you should in Origin ). The results are there for all to see. He often just tucks the ball under his arm and takes the tackle for QLD and almost never throws hail mary long balls after scrambling sideways prior.

For Manly it's more up tempo and adventurous and risk taking with less emphasis on building pressure and more emphasis on just scoring points. To be fair I would say he has closed the gap between Origin DCE and Manly DCE a lot in the past season and a half and he's never played consistently better for us than the last 2 years...... it's just that the results haven't really followed yet.

I don't think last night changes anybody's mind about DCE either way ...we all know he can do that for QLD. Just gotta do it for us more regularly. Maybe there's signs that he finally is lately too.

manly al

First Grader
Think the D C E was only on 130 K for that initial contract in 2011 so certainly would not begrudge any player in a similar situation for a major upgrade .
Also think that it was then bumped up to about 500 K and which seemed quite realistic at the time .
Guess that there will always be some level of conjecture about his very hefty and consequent 8 year deal arrangement versus his overall club performance and value for money following this contract Probably or in simplistic terms can be best summed up in a mixed spectrum from very good at times and to very indifferent .
Great servant for the club which can never be disputed however and hopefully can still be capable of some good form level in his remaining time at Manly .

Disco

First Grader
Premium Member
I dont get this DCE doesn't run narrative.

DCE has the most runs and most run metres of all halfbacks in the comp this year.

Look, DCE has he flaws but I think he is taken for granted. I think when he retires many will realise what we have lost.

Last edited:

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
DCE is and always has been a great footy player, he makes big plays....simply a bit erratic at times and that's partly due to the fact at Manly he feels he "Has to make that big play" to break the game open in Manly's favour, where in the Qld team he can simply run and build from the back, having star quality players around him, who can make those big breaks and make the big plays.
He is not an Andrew Johns type who can control game tempo and manage close games at NRL level and I feel a few of the 'crazy" plays at Manly, are from trying to hard to make something happen where around his SOO team mates he doesn't have to go for the low percentage risky plays.
Credit to DCE whatever any says about him, on a career best game at rep level last night at the ripe young age of 35.....be proud of our skipper I say.

KNUCKLES

Bencher
Tbf, Manly prioritised Foz and Chez secured a lucrative contract elsewhere…
Foz told Manly to shove it, Manly did not want to lose both their gun young halves and the rest, as they say, is history…

I never blame a guy wanting the best return possible for his effort - NRL careers are short and Chez could have been playing on the Goldy (or somewhere else by now) for just as much coin… Manly could have had him cheaper (back then, he would still be on the same coin for the last 4-5 years) but they backed the wrong horse originally…
Chez was agitating for a pay rise before this. Refused to come to training

frank stokes

I discriminate indiscriminately
Ok so why doesn’t he run the ball for Manly like he did for Qld last night.
He does, he just does not have blokes backing him up the way Ben Hunt did for that first try… that try was a perfect example, chez running to the short side late in the tackle count is one of his staples at Manly… Qld just have better quality players to take advantage of his effort…
Similarly Chez has the most 40-20s ever - and that is at NRL level, for Manly, eeek in week out…

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
The *D*ynamic *C*hampion and *E*verlasting DCE

The Man of the Match with one of his Dynamic Match winning plays
The Legendary Maroon Winning Dynasty Lives on
1717634180712.png

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Think the D C E was only on 130 K for that initial contract in 2011 so certainly would not begrudge any player in a similar situation for a major upgrade .
Also think that it was then bumped up to about 500 K and which seemed quite realistic at the time .
Guess that there will always be some level of conjecture about his very hefty and consequent 8 year deal arrangement versus his overall club performance and value for money following this contract Probably or in simplistic terms can be best summed up in a mixed spectrum from very good at times and to very indifferent .
Great servant for the club which can never be disputed however and hopefully can still be capable of some good form level in his remaining time at Manly .
I think minimum wage may have been closer to 80 k back then

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18