DCE 4-6 weeks

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So if Horhay is out then are we a chance of seeing any new blood on the wing ?? Hoppa is out, and I believe Funa is injured too ?? So Smith seems most likely or does the mysterious Semisi Kioa get a run (is he actually playing anywhere at the moment ??)

Gonna be interesting to see how Des goes
He’s got 3 options
LG
Hodko (might come on the bench now api is injuries)
Or
Sirro
I reckon Hodko at half Croker at 5/8
Reason being is experience.
Hodko has kicked something like 16 Field Goals, played in 2014 Grand Final and State of Origin, and has a good boot.
Just hope he is fit enough

The only difficulty I see in all of this (not suggesting it will play out this way) however, it is more probable than not. Should the Federal Court rule in JDB's favour, the NRL have 28 days to appeal the matter and put a 'stay' on the decision handed down. The appeal must be on points of law/ jurisdiction/ justice erred in his/her findings, or, new material/witnesses give a reasonable opportunity of being successful in the appeal.

As you stated Woodsie I am pretty sure JDB's legal team will seek leave should they be successful, to deal with this 'not on team sheet by Tuesday you are unable to be on the field'. It just fuels one injustice into the next.

All this has become a moot point regarding Dylan. His court case is next week so guilty and I’d say he’s done in the NRL and certainly at Manly and not guilty he should be available, regardless of the JDB hearing result.

All this has become a moot point regarding Dylan. His court case is next week so guilty and I’d say he’s done in the NRL and certainly at Manly and not guilty he should be available, regardless of the JDB hearing result.

Agreed Sue, however, if there is an appeal regarding the Dylan Walker decision, then the JDB result may well have a bearing whilst the matter remains on foot.

Api played well at 7 last year. But I think Croker and Elgey is our best bet.

Api has never played well in the #7 jumper (and it was 2016 BTW, not 2018). And don't give me that crap that he won a MoM award playing halfback in 2016. Facts are that we lost that game to Souffs at Brookie by 4 points (12-16). Sure he scored a try in that game, but he butchered at least 3 others and ran around like a headless chook with white line fever all night, rarely passing the ball to anyone. Nein gave him the MoM because he had his hands on the ball about twice as much as anyone else from either us or Souffs, and that was mostly as I said, because he was what we called a hog in school. But the reality is that he more cost us the game than did anything good.

We have a 1-4 record with Api playing half.....and the only game we won was in Rd.6 of 2016 against the Warriors in Auckland, a game we won off the back of Steve Matai brilliance, and to a lesser extent Killer, Snake and Turbo. Api had a very quiet game, thankfully.

• 🤝
Reactions: Sue
If Jorge is out, I think we might be sweating on whether or not Dylan Walker is allowed to play. If so then it'll be easy.....Walker to centre, Suli to the wing.

Other than that I'm not sure which way Des will go as it will depend on who is available.

Api has never played well in the #7 jumper (and it was 2016 BTW, not 2018). And don't give me that crap that he won a MoM award playing halfback in 2016. Facts are that we lost that game to Souffs at Brookie by 4 points (12-16). Sure he scored a try in that game, but he butchered at least 3 others and ran around like a headless chook with white line fever all night, rarely passing the ball to anyone. Nein gave him the MoM because he had his hands on the ball about twice as much as anyone else from either us or Souffs, and that was mostly as I said, because he was what we called a hog in school. But the reality is that he more cost us the game than did anything good.

We have a 1-4 record with Api playing half.....and the only game we won was in Rd.6 of 2016 against the Warriors in Auckland, a game we won off the back of Steve Matai brilliance, and to a lesser extent Killer, Snake and Turbo. Api had a very quiet game, thankfully.
So you think Apis’ a shoe in at 7 Lot of mixed messages there @HoldenV8 @:p
.....but seriously, even my Api love doesn’t extend to him going anywhere near 6 or 7. No way Des is breaking up the Api&Fainu show.

Agreed Sue, however, if there is an appeal regarding the Dylan Walker decision, then the JDB result may well have a bearing whilst the matter remains on foot.
Appeal extremely unlikely in my opinion. Hardly likely to make a mistake at law in a common assault case and new material evidence bobbing up after this long would seem a total long shot Nope this is Dylan’s DDay next week.

Agree with all of that, I love the turtle too, and on his day there is not many better.

I am not saying we will win ever game, nor any game whilst DCE is out either.

Some coaches have a team which purely rely on one or two superstars, and how bad was that excuse of how much Salary Cap was sitting on the sideline that was churned out in the past.

That's not Manly. It's not DES.

Give me the mentally toughest team, where a sum of parts is greater than any one individual who just scrap and fight any day.

The most pleasing part of yesterday's game. The improvement in mental toughness in our side. Our boys didn't have their heads go down when DCE did.

Home and Away games do nothing but provide practice for the challenges ahead.

Sure the next 4-6 weeks will be a challenge.

Who doesn't love a challenge.

Ive seen a team playing away from DCE more and more the last 3 weeks.

Now they really get to practice.

Our team will be so so much better for it.

# MANISBACK /MANLYFOREVER.

Have you ever thought of getting a job as a motivational speaker? Great post.

Fair enough, I retract my statement. I stand by Croker and Elgey being our best halves combo with DCE out though.

Appeal extremely unlikely in my opinion. Hardly likely to make a mistake at law in a common assault case and new material evidence bobbing up after this long would seem a total long shot Nope this is Dylan’s DDay next week.

Appeal highly likely in my humble opinion. Especially if Walker is found guilty and his career is on the line. I highly doubt that if Walker is found guilty that his legal team would be looking at 'mistake at law' as grounds of appeal. Those grounds are agitated in the Supreme Court and do not give rise to try and test the evidence again. There is a logical appeal process awaiting in the District Court by way of appealing conviction and sentence (all grounds appeal) hearing 'de novo'.

The evidence can once again be tried and tested a fresh and even new material may be ventilated in certain circumstances. A hearing 'de novo' with grounds agitating a miscarriage of justice in the District Court have a much wider scope than mistake/error at law being agitated in the Supreme Court. Additionally, if Walker is found not guilty there is nothing precluding the DPP from appealing the matter from the local court, it would not be the first or last time I see this happen.

Appeal highly likely in my humble opinion. Especially if Walker is found guilty and his career is on the line. I highly doubt that if Walker is found guilty that his legal team would be looking at 'mistake at law' as grounds of appeal. Those grounds are agitated in the Supreme Court and do not give rise to try and test the evidence again. There is a logical appeal process awaiting in the District Court by way of appealing conviction and sentence (all grounds appeal) hearing 'de novo'.

The evidence can once again be tried and tested a fresh and even new material may be ventilated in certain circumstances. A hearing 'de novo' with grounds agitating a miscarriage of justice in the District Court have a much wider scope than mistake/error at law being agitated in the Supreme Court. Additionally, if Walker is found not guilty there is nothing precluding the DPP from appealing the matter from the local court, it would not be the first or last time I see this happen.
No I agree with Sue, there won't be an appeal by Walker if he loses.
An appeal to the district court is a hearing 'do novo' only in the sense that the court will look afresh at the evidence, but the witnesses don't attend, it is run entirely by reading the transcript of what happened in the local court, and you can't call any fresh evidence without leave of the court.
Also, this case will largely turn on the credibility of the witnesses, and judges are notoriously loathe to criticise findings of the magistrates about this because the magistrate has the benefit of hearing and closely watching the witnesses give evidence.
He'll get a fair hearing and Magistrate Goodwin will make a decision, she is neither the best nor worst draw, but on penalty she won't be appealed, her bark is worse than her bite.

This doesn’t appear to be great news - not sure what that means for a return date, but i believe it could be much longer than anticipated.

BC4C61E6-F60D-4A23-B204-E43EB49BD0F2.png

Attachments

• 42ACE038-88C4-434A-B1F0-706E70C80E45.png
    42ACE038-88C4-434A-B1F0-706E70C80E45.png
    413.8 KB · Views: 38
No I agree with Sue, there won't be an appeal by Walker if he loses.
An appeal to the district court is a hearing 'do novo' only in the sense that the court will look afresh at the evidence, but the witnesses don't attend, it is run entirely by reading the transcript of what happened in the local court, and you can't call any fresh evidence without leave of the court.
Also, this case will largely turn on the credibility of the witnesses, and judges are notoriously loathe to criticise findings of the magistrates about this because the magistrate has the benefit of hearing and closely watching the witnesses give evidence.
He'll get a fair hearing and Magistrate Goodwin will make a decision, she is neither the best nor worst draw, but on penalty she won't be appealed, her bark is worse than her bite.

Two ways of appealing. You can appeal on conviction in which case you are back where you started and the conviction is set aside and evidence is then considered by district court of appeal. You can also appeal on severity. That is more frequently done when a convicted person believes that in being convicted the sentence was too severe. In that case he or she accepts being found guilty. There is also an appeal potential by the prosecution also on both grounds if the prosecution believes the court decision on the question of guilt is incorrect or if they think the sentence given is too lenient.

You can appeal on conviction in which case you are back where you started and the conviction is set aside and evidence is then considered by district court
No the conviction is not set aside, that only happens if the appeal court eventually makes a finding in your favour. Meanwhile you remain guilty of the offence.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8