[Resurrected] Darkest Era in Rugby League

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

conanu

Bencher
I hate to say it but I am quickly losing interest in Rugby League. I actually cannot stand the current status quo & love fests that are going on in the media. Non stop Melbourne loving, Mitchell Pearce is now a hero, QLD have won more Origins than I want to remember coupled with the fact that we are under investigation for cap rorting when lets face it half of our team are reserve graders that we are getting great value out of. I cant take it any more. Footy show I dont watch because I hate it and Fox is slowly becoming CH9 and its MAtty Johns laughing at "in" jokes with Flrtch and Hindy. The whole bloody lot is unbearable. If it wasn't for the Trbojevic brothers I doubt I would be even watching footy. And bugger me if a first round 1 point loss to Mitchell Pearce & the three time wooden spooners at the start of the round isnt the dead set worst feeling on Rugby League Earth then I don't know what is. I look at every other team and they have bought well and improved their roster, name another team that has a worse off season recruitment drive than us. RL is so **** right now.

Love where you’re coming from, but believe me losing to Norths at Brookvale early in the 1979 season, when we were the reigning premiers and the Bears were shaping up for another wooden spoon, was far worse.

And let’s not get started on the ‘95, ‘97 or ‘07 GFs.

Last edited:
I hate to say it but I am quickly losing interest in Rugby League. I actually cannot stand the current status quo & love fests that are going on in the media. Non stop Melbourne loving, Mitchell Pearce is now a hero, QLD have won more Origins than I want to remember coupled with the fact that we are under investigation for cap rorting when lets face it half of our team are reserve graders that we are getting great value out of. I cant take it any more. Footy show I dont watch because I hate it and Fox is slowly becoming CH9 and its MAtty Johns laughing at "in" jokes with Flrtch and Hindy. The whole bloody lot is unbearable. If it wasn't for the Trbojevic brothers I doubt I would be even watching footy. And bugger me if a first round 1 point loss to Mitchell Pearce & the three time wooden spooners at the start of the round isnt the dead set worst feeling on Rugby League Earth then I don't know what is. I look at every other team and they have bought well and improved their roster, name another team that has a worse off season recruitment drive than us. RL is so **** right now.

I just hope there is a resolution soon. We may be able to get some signatures then. Greenburg has literally destroyed our brand in my opinion. Hopefully with that out of the way, it eases some of the bull**** going on for you mate.

I don't watch the Footy Show. I used to watch Sterling on the Couch, as it was interesting. But you're right, the other lot with the Johns brothers is just awful.

Hopefully we get a win @ Brookie for you this weekend mate. Don't lose heart. The club are still the club. The beers are still warm, and the pies cold. We have a Sundee arvo match coming up against The Slime.

Stick with it mate - we need all the supporters we can get champion :)

I feel your pain Conanu
Especially the constant bias towards certain players , Same with the ongoing problems the club has with it's salary cap other clubs seem to get away with so much more leniency
And your right about the fox footy shows. FFS there was a blond leprechaun in green on there last night
The only thing that keeps me in tune is that I've got MANLY running through my veins

I will never turn away from this club, NEVER. I cant help but love it like a cheating girlfriend. But the NRL in general from a Manly supporters perspective is quite crappy at the moment. The salary cap garbage doesn't help, but I really get the feeling the NRL are doing everything in their power to stifle us. Even when Greenturd caught Parra cheating you could tell he wanted a quick resolution and minimal penalty so the NRL could start blowing smoke up their bums asap. With us its like they want us to fail and kind of really looked incredibly hard at finding a problem, yet ignore other more powerful clubs. Even Parra signed Jennings, Gutho, Norman and Beau Scott whilst they were being investigated. Greenturd is like Kryptonite to Manly, I hate the bloke, I actually do. He has brought more heart ache to Manly fans than any other person I can think of bar Rupert Murdoch. Co-Incidentally Super League wanted to kill us off back then too.

Agree with % you 100 conanu

Love we’re your coming from, but believe me losing to Norths at Brookvale early in the 1979 season, when we were the reigning premiers and the Bears were shaping up for another wooden spoon, was far worse.

And let’s not get started on the ‘95, ‘97 or ‘07 GFs.
Yea you are right Terry those were tough times, especially the Northern Eagles days sheesh. Still back in those days I had full faith in our club behind the scenes, we could do siege mentality better than anyone, we were hated because we had it all. Now we don't have a pot to piss in and I am not that impressed with our management. Although Lyle seems like a good addition.

Thinking back now and the current set up (apart from Broncos being off the mark) is exactly what Ribot and Super League wanted. QLD winning everything and successful franchises in Melbourne etc, With NSW clubs fighting each other for the scraps.

They just want us to relocate,cant be any other reason,its like Donald Trump negotiating with Kim Jong.
His way or the highway.
FU#K GREENBERG

What you write on here is how so many of us feel. There has always been favoured clubs and clubs out of favour, in the 70's, 80's and 90's, we were a favoured club and we got good coverage in the media and we were feared!!

Since 2000 especially, we have seen a shift of power to the non Sydney clubs, they have the media in their pocket and the current NRL regime use the fact that this clubs are based in expanding areas as a basis to favour them in relation to TV coverage, time slots, etc

I lament that the Sydney clubs bar a few of them are very much on the outside now and the fabric of the competition is now a mere thread. Tradition is slowly being destroyed by the NRL!!!

I think that the national competition that the NRL is craving for will happen and the new clubs that come in will be at the expense of Sydney. There are too many clubs struggling right now to survive financially and I do not see much effort from the NRL to protect them. To them it is a one size fits all approach where the Sydney clubs will be forced to play out of three main stadiums and if that happens it will ruin clubs who rely on that crucial home ground advantage that the out of Sydney teams enjoy unquestioned.

For the fan who wants to go to a game and is now forced to pay 32 dollars to stand on a hill at Brookvale out in the elements is a major deterrent for people who want to go to games. The AFL made some big changes 20 years ago about stadia and you can watch an AFL game at the MCG as a non member for only 20 bucks, the NRL needs to look at this!!

I believe that the game will not grow till we get a truly independent regime running the game who are not a prisoner to TV networks and Media moguls and that there is a fair and even distribution of money and player talent throughout the clubs and that clubs should NOT be penalised for building a team with kids they have nurtured and not procured by a club with access to money.

The current conflicts of interest in the game are too many to name in one message! The ARLC has already been blocked by some clubs over vital reform, we need some real leadership in the game and right now we are led by that slimy git Greenturd who is more interested in peddling to the chosen clubs and ignoring the real problems in the game.

We currently wait for them to make their mind up about our salary cap sanction while the other 7 clubs named in the initial allegation are allowed to continue without scrutiny. The inequity and unfairness in the game right now is as high as I have ever known it to be!!

To be successful now is all about winning at all costs and the rules have been watered down so much, the niggler in the game rules the roost without any repercussions. Seriously Scam Smith would have been annihilated in a previous era for the the crap he continues to get away with week in and week out.

The game has always been about toughness and endurance and skill to win matches, the game has many positives but remains stunted by poor and short sighted leadership. I long for the day that we have a totally independent body running our game who take care of ALL the clubs rather than a select few!!!

It is a dark era under the current leadership but history shows it can turn quickly if we get the right people in charge, here's hoping that Peter Beattie can start that process!

I used to hate Gallop the Goose, but i'm at the stage where I'd welcome him back with open arms. Toddy McToddburger is hopeless.
I thought at least with Greenberg at the helm we had a snake oil salesman that was on our side that being the NRL side. But no he is just a little slime ball who gets into top positions by white anting those above him from the inside. He has acheived zero for the grass roots game. the guy is a myth politico.

I think we are just used to and expect great things from our club. Historically we've been a leading and dominant force in the ARL and this has shifted considerably post superleague era. Despite this we've had many successes. But it does seem like it's an uphill battle and it feels like we are going into a fight with our hands tied behind our back. The game itself has been poorly managed and we've felt the effects more notably.

I haven't lost hope. But am getting sick and tired of all the negativity surrounding our club.

The Matty John show or whatever it's called came on last night, he said something about spending the weekend in Newcastle and "how good was it" and I immediately turned it off. I'll consider giving it another try after they've dropped 5 or 6 in a row.

Too many ex players in the media are too invested in the success of their old clubs. The only one who calls a game well with no bias is Brandy. It's probably unfair to ask him to call every single game though but a man can dream....

The Matty John show or whatever it's called came on last night, he said something about spending the weekend in Newcastle and "how good was it" and I immediately turned it off. I'll consider giving it another try after they've dropped 5 or 6 in a row.

Too many ex players in the media are too invested in the success of their old clubs. The only one who calls a game well with no bias is Brandy. It's probably unfair to ask him to call every single game though but a man can dream....
Brandy is one of the few who is truly objective when it comes to commenting on the game and he has always been fair in his assessment of our club. Like you I turn off the TV when I see love ins for certain players and clubs. Last Friday night was all about Drugcastle, we just happened to be the other team, the commentary was called from their perspective and Manly did not get much credit for their play. It is sad that we have this bias. Watching a Drizzle game is a painful experience as the fawn all over Scam Smith blah blah blah!!

The media bias is sickening.. Reading some trash about the game between the knights and manly you'd think we weren't even there. We only get mentioned about 10‰ of the time. In particular an article by Robert Dillon in the Sydney Morning Herald "Golden Boy Pearce ... dribble" stated that it was a controversial penalty for offside in the 77th minute that allowed DCE to equalise.. Not only do we usually get slammed by the refs but now anything favourable is turned against us. God forbid we win the penalty count. There would be an inquiry commissioned..

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4