[Resurrected] Darkest Era in Rugby League

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Brandy is one of the few who is truly objective when it comes to commenting on the game and he has always been fair in his assessment of our club. Like you I turn off the TV when I see love ins for certain players and clubs. Last Friday night was all about Drugcastle, we just happened to be the other team, the commentary was called from their perspective and Manly did not get much credit for their play. It is sad that we have this bias. Watching a Drizzle game is a painful experience as the fawn all over Scam Smith blah blah blah!!
I had the misfortune of getting stuck in traffic on the Wakehurst Parkway Friday evening because of an accident and had to listen to the first half of the game on MMM. Their commentary is a new level of hell...

Regarding the constant bias towards players, it has always been thus.

Think back to when Ray Price was playing. Or George Peponis. The latter was nothing special
as a player, but the old ARL/NSWRL and the media blew a gale force wind up his arse because of his Greek heritage and gasp...because he was a doctor.

Max Krilich (the humble plumber) should never have lost his Australian jumper in 1978. He had to wait for Peponis to effectively retire before he got it back.

And only after extra time
I could handle golden try. If you can grab a meat pie in extra time take the points. But this drop goal crap shoot while the defending team is offside is just garbage.

Anyone else get the ****s with the clock..? What was wrong with going to 40, then going to 80 in the second half..? How many meetings did it take for the geniuses at the NRL to decide on how to mess that up..?

I was watching a game over the weekend on Fox and the commentary was bad,the plays on field were repetitive and the refs were either making obvious mistakes or cracking down on the minor rule of the week whilst not fixing issues that actually make an impact on the game and I thought to myself I’m sure this is a repeat of every game from the last 10 years and realised I have another 25 rounds of this.

The media bias is sickening.. Reading some trash about the game between the knights and manly you'd think we weren't even there. We only get mentioned about 10‰ of the time. In particular an article by Robert Dillon in the Sydney Morning Herald "Golden Boy Pearce ... dribble" stated that it was a controversial penalty for offside in the 77th minute that allowed DCE to equalise.. Not only do we usually get slammed by the refs but now anything favourable is turned against us. God forbid we win the penalty count. There would be an inquiry commissioned..
Judging by the media coverage over the weekend,I’m sure Pearce is in line to be the next Immortal

I’ve been saying this for a while now, if I wasn’t such a die hard for my club I could easily walk away from the game.

I watched a few of the games last weekend but only because I was down helping our daughter out in Moree but I really only watched Manly all the way through, the rest I was flicking between them and other things.

I don’t mind a few of the fox sports commentators ( especially Lara Pitt) but I rarely watch any of the pre or post game stuff and at least they are better than Nein.

Like many I feel very disillusioned and to be honest can’t wait until Scam and Thurston retire,the sooner the better!

Judging by the media coverage over the weekend,I’m sure Pearce is in line to be the next Immortal
And Kalyn Ponga has already been anointed too.
Which is another thing that I find interesting, the Dally M points
In this game it was 3. Pearce 2. Ponga 1. Tapau but if we'd have won by a DCE field goal would he have gotten the 3 points without being spectacular for the other 85mins meaning Tapau would have not received a vote?

You know the one thing that keeps me interested...

The actual football itself.

I love the dynamics of the game.

I can do without the media full-stop. Absolute and utter garbage.

I can do without the administration full-stop. Absolute idiots.

What I can't do without is the enjoyment of watching two teams belt each other. It is so entertaining watching the nuances of the RL. It's made even better when those nuances finish with a maroon and white win!

You know the one thing that keeps me interested...

The actual football itself.

I love the dynamics of the game.

I can do without the media full-stop. Absolute and utter garbage.

I can do without the administration full-stop. Absolute idiots.

What I can't do without is the enjoyment of watching two teams belt each other. It is so entertaining watching the nuances of the RL. It's made even better when those nuances finish with a maroon and white win!

This is where Roy and HG is needed just turn down the sound on the Tele and turn up Roy & HG

Love where you’re coming from, but believe me losing to Norths at Brookvale early in the 1979 season, when we were the reigning premiers and the Bears were shaping up for another wooden spoon, was far worse.

And let’s not get started on the ‘95, ‘97 or ‘07 GFs.
I still haven't got over losing to Norths Rd1 in 1974.

The Matty John show or whatever it's called came on last night, he said something about spending the weekend in Newcastle and "how good was it" and I immediately turned it off. I'll consider giving it another try after they've dropped 5 or 6 in a row.

Too many ex players in the media are too invested in the success of their old clubs. The only one who calls a game well with no bias is Brandy. It's probably unfair to ask him to call every single game though but a man can dream....
Couldn't agree more Loobs. Although Johns brothers abandoned Newcastle through the spoon years and jumped on the helping Melbourne band wagon.

I first started reading this thread and thought I was going to reach for the dummy spit button....but the more I read and absorbed, it had an honest and real feel I could not deny.
I now rate it perhaps the BEST thread I have seen on Silvertails history....

I usually watch all of the first round games to check out the teams but this season I only watched the manly game. The action on the field is mostly stale and repetitive with poor refereeing and tries mostly just off the back of penalties. The management of the game is in a far worse state and if something isn’t done then not only will the fans continue to turn away but there won’t be the talent to bring them back when there are no juniors left.

The Matty John show or whatever it's called came on last night, he said something about spending the weekend in Newcastle and "how good was it" and I immediately turned it off. I'll consider giving it another try after they've dropped 5 or 6 in a row.

Too many ex players in the media are too invested in the success of their old clubs. The only one who calls a game well with no bias is Brandy. It's probably unfair to ask him to call every single game though but a man can dream....
Yeah Brandy is great. He is easily the best to listen to. I think Joey Johns has a better eye for the game than anyone else on both TV and radio; he predicts things and calls weaknesses minutes before they are exposed, but he loves talking up the media darlings (Smith, Thurston, Cronk, Slater, Hayne, etc.) way too much.

That leaves us with Brandy and nothing else really. He calls a spade a spade and although he is not the most profound speaker, he keeps it simple, non-biased and accurate.

Totally agree with all the posts in this thread. The first time in 45 years I have not been counting down the days for the start of the season . Will never stop supporting Manly however do not support NRL. I used to really like the Matty Johns show but so true how his sniggering and in jokes are boring and a turn off . To further highlight how far the game has gone down the drain is the filthy barbaric actions of the Sharks players deliberately twisting Scott’s knee on the weekend....disgusting

The way the game is played is so phoney. The NRL points to the close fulltime scores and says how wonderful everything is.

One team gets a roll on and scores 10, 14 or 20 points, then the other teams gets a roll on and levels up.

It isn't a contest. It isn't a game of rugby league. It is big bash cricket played with a football.

And how many times have you seen a team with a big lead suddenly have all the calls go against them. Its done to switch momentum and to square up the scores.

The only exception is when one team piles it on early and wins by 30 or 40. Boring.

There is no contest from tackle to tackle. So why watch? Just drop in every now & then to see the score.

Manly lost on Friday because they didn't score enough points in the first half when they had all the momentum.

The politicians will save the day! If you want any indication of how much trouble our game is in, we have just appointed the second ARL chairman in a row that does not even know what the team name is of Cronulla.

The NRL is an absolute comedy act, the AFL must be loving it.

Greenburg tells us the game is in the best shape it’s ever been in and when questioned about the bank loan his response is there’s plenty of money in the NRL bank account. If he really believes what he says he is dilusional. The game is dying in the Country and at its grass roots. He runs the game like an emperor changing the rules as he goes and then assertively tells a journo during interview what great shape the game is in. Pinch me please I must be in the twilight zone!

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7